Air squats vs walking

Options
Which burns more calories? Air squats or walking? I presume its air squats because you're using more muscles but how would they compare like is 50air squats equivalent to walking per say for 10 minutes

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I ran it through this website and walking said 42 calories for a 150 lb person at 3 mph and squats said 60 calories for a 150 lb person squatting for 10 minutes straight. But 50 air squats may not take 10 minutes so it's not really a good comparison. But the whole question is a bit..can't think of a word so I'm just wiggling my fingers...so the answers are going to be a bit nonsensical as well.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Yeah I looked it up to. So for example at a rate of 15 minutes per mile, a 185-pound person would burn approx 67 calories walking 10 minutes and a 125-pound person would burn 45 calories.

How long it takes and at what intensity you do air squats would come into play on how much you burn.

I'm a little stumped on why the question, but if you prefer to do 50 air squats vs walking 10 minutes do that?
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    What is an air squat?
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    What is an air squat?

Body weight squat without adding my weight resistance
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    186 lb. (today) man who just finished a brisk outdoor walk of 4.14 miles in 1:02:38. Garmin “said” I burned 543 calories which seems correct to me.

I’ve done high-volume BW or air squats in my training past. Walking is better with a lower risk of injury than volume squatting.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    186 lb. (today) man who just finished a brisk outdoor walk of 4.14 miles in 1:02:38. Garmin “said” I burned 543 calories which seems correct to me.

I’ve done high-volume BW or air squats in my training past. Walking is better with a lower risk of injury than volume squatting.

Yup, volume squatting seems like a good way to injure the knees.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I can't answer the calorie question directly, but as a type 2 diabetic with a glucose testing machine I can tell you the effect it has on my blood glucose, for what that's worth. Walking 10 minutes has an almost negligible effect while 3 rounds of 40 bodyweight squats will drop my levels fifty or more points within ten minutes. In fact I use squats to quickly drop my levels if I accidentally eat too much and they go too high. So working those large leg muscles is indeed burning through energy, even if it's not traditional "cardio."

If it were me I would do some squats and then walk. They are different exercises which work different parts of the system.
  • davidkang3
    davidkang3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice!!