Book on muscle building

Options
I want to learn more about building muscle - how to select exercises, how to determine # of sets and reps, rest periods, nutrition, etc. There are tons of articles and guides online, lots of magazines and books promising results in just 12 minutes a day, lots of bro-science in various forums. I want one reliable, non-fad book based on science and actual experience that explains it all. I already own a copy of Starting Strength which is awesome for strength training but there is a bit of a difference between strength training and building bulk. I'd like something that's the same quality as Starting Strength but focused more on hypertrophy. Can anyone recommend a book like that?

Replies

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    The New Rules of Lifting ~ by Lou Schuler and Alwyn Cosgrove
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

Second the new rules. There are several editions targeted to certain demographics for women, for life (for over 40) etc but same basic theme.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    There is no such book that works for everybody. There are many many that claim to such as Practical Programming but like Starting Strength it doesn't have a clear line of what to do long term.

You can obtain some info from books/sites that might be useful or might not for you specifically.

Nothing against Starting Strength, but it's nothing special over other novice programs because its an LP and can only be run correctly for about 9 weeks on average.

All novice programs will work for a untrained person.

I would suggest a easier and imformative route would be running "The Bridge" (which is free and written for coming off a LP) and then one of the hypertrophy programs you can purchase at Barbellmedicine.

Neither are turn key programs you see everywhere, but ones that is have variables for each individual and their current strengths/weaknesses with autoregulation built in.

The programs are extremely clear on how to run and are based of data of what works for he majority of lifters.

One can learn alot from this style of programmng. There is no better teaching then the experience of doing.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    There is no such book that works for everybody. There are many many that claim to such as Practical Programming but like Starting Strength it doesn't have a clear line of what to do long term.

You can obtain some info from books/sites that might be useful or might not for you specifically.

Nothing against Starting Strength, but it's nothing special over other novice programs because its an LP and can only be run correctly for about 9 weeks on average.

I would suggest a easier and informative route would be running "The Bridge" (which is free and written for coming off a LP) and then one of the hypertrophy programs you can purchase at Barbellmedicine.

Neither are turn key programs you see everywhere, but ones that is have variables for each individual and their current strengths/weaknesses with autoregulation built in.

The programs are extremely clear on how to run and are based of data of what works for he majority of lifters.

One can learn a lot from this style of programming. There is no better teaching then the experience of doing.

/Agree with all of this. Starting Strength is an excellent resource that I turn to continually.

I regularly follow a number of YouTube personalities all of which focus on a specific element of performance training.
  • coderdan82
    coderdan82 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Motorsheen wrote: »

Second the new rules. There are several editions targeted to certain demographics for women, for life (for over 40) etc but same basic theme.

Thanks, I'll check that one out.
  • coderdan82
    coderdan82 Posts: 133 Member
    Options

I would suggest a easier and imformative route would be running "The Bridge" (which is free and written for coming off a LP) and then one of the hypertrophy programs you can purchase at Barbellmedicine.

One can learn alot from this style of programmng. There is no better teaching then the experience of doing.

What's an LP?

I'm not really looking for something that will guide me through a program, what I'd like is to gain enough knowledge to understand why a particular program is designed the way it is and to make my own programs to suit my needs. Is that even possible or do I need a degree in kinesiology?
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    Honestly, the biggest thing to remember about building your own routines is Heavy compounds at the beginning, and accessory work at the end. Hypertrophy stuff wherever as long as it is after the heavy compounds. Cardio after lifts. Pretty simple. Another good method for building routines is to look at the "platform" (set/rep structure) for existing routines. Here's my shoulders day that I built myself, Iand have been told by trainers that bit is solid.

Lifts:
    Dumbell OHP Seated - 5 sets, 4-6 reps
    Upright row - 3 sets, 8-11 reps
    Barbell front raise - 3 sets, 8-11 reps
    Dumbbell lateral raise - 3 sets, 8-11 reps
    Rear felt flye - 4 sets, 12-15 reps
    Shrugs -4 sets, 12-15 reps

Strength conditioning: 4 rounds
    30 meters farmers walk
    30-60 sec battle ropes

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    coderdan82 wrote: »

What's an LP?

I'm not really looking for something that will guide me through a program, what I'd like is to gain enough knowledge to understand why a particular program is designed the way it is and to make my own programs to suit my needs. Is that even possible or do I need a degree in kinesiology?

Linear progression.
    A idea that one can continuously add weight to the bar every session regardless of fatigue and stress in and outside the gym. The only means of controlling fatigue and stress(besides rest days) is with deloads which usually are a waste of ROI if one is untrained and plans on training more than 9-10 weeks.

What I suggested is exactly that. Try looking at the program and guidelines of how it works.

Will it fully teach you how to program for yourself? No. Nothing will do that. One needs experience since we are individuals and not robots that respond differently. It will give you a starting place and better info than the majority of books you could read.