Substitutes for Mayo??

Options
Anyone have any good suggestions to replace mayo in foods? I love food with mayo in it...egg salad, for example, but mayo just LOOKS too much like fat for me to eat it anymore, besides it being pretty bad for you anyway. Any advice is much appreciated!!

Replies

• KaitieBug
    KaitieBug Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any good suggestions to replace mayo in foods? I love food with mayo in it...egg salad, for example, but mayo just LOOKS too much like fat for me to eat it anymore, besides it being pretty bad for you anyway. Any advice is much appreciated!!
  • chulie
    chulie Posts: 282
    Options
    Miracle Whip??? It's all I use....I mean, it still LOOKS like Mayo so not sure if that will work but...It's way better for you and PERSONALLY I prefer it to Mayo!!!!!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I love real mayo...in modferation it isnt bad for you and unless you are buying a weird brand, ir can be a clean food....there is something called veganese that people use instead of mayo
  • helkat922
    helkat922 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I still use mayo but just get the light one instead. Its not that high in calories if you keep it to a minimum. :happy:
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    Well, for sandwiches there are lots of options -

hummus
    guacamole (high in fat, but the good fats)
    Wasabe
    mustard

If you're talking about chicken salads or something, I have no idea. I hate mayo so I go without.
  • kendallalissa
    Options
    The spicy brown mustard, if you like mustard. Otherwise, I use Miracle Whip Lite.
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I use fat free mayo...but i'm not a big mayo person. I dont use it in sandwiches, just in stuff like chicken salad and cole slaw.
  • WISHFULTHINKING
    WISHFULTHINKING Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    i couldnt replace mayo so i use mayo light only 30 calories per serving very low in fat
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I use a dijonaise type mustard for sandwiches and tuna salad. I also have a good recipe for cole slaw that uses soy sauce, rice vinegar and ginger instead of mayo.

I'm not a big mayo fan anyways.
  • charliesgold
    charliesgold Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I used to always use mayo on sandwiches but found a love for course ground mustard (Grey Poupon) and have replaced it on all my sandwiches. As for chicken salad, I LOVE the stuff but have limited it to once in a blue moon, now I get turkey on my sandwiches instead :D
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I use fat free ranch dressing, or light italian or vinagrette dressing. I also have a spicy honey mustard condiment that doesn't have many calories.

I know mayo is high in calories but if you just use a bit, it's really not that bad for you and is better than modified stuff in my opinion. Or you can also use avocado/guacamole or oil and vinegar which are totally whole foods and the "good" fats.
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    I am a big mayo fan and have tried EVERY low-cal/light version out there. I hated them all until I tried Hellmann's Light..it's like 35 calories for a tbsp..I usually just one half a tbsp. Maybe give it a try..I personally can't tell the difference in the Light and the regular.:flowerforyou:
  • KaitieBug
    KaitieBug Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I used to LOVE mayo but then I noticed how eerily similar it looked to the plastic "fat" that my nutritionist had in her office and I haven't been able to eat it on sandwiches since lol. I've just been using light mayo and such whenever a recipe calls for it. Thank you for all the suggestions!!
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    For egg salads, etc I use plain yogurt, and just a tiny bit of mayo or miracle whip for flavor. Even fooled my hubby with my egg sald...
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    If you like a little spice, Kraft makes a Horseradish Sauce (in a squeeze bottle, perfect for sandwiches and salads) that is only 15 calories per tbsp (I believe). I've begun trying to sub it instead of mayo because I love mayo in/on everything...