Personal trainer?

Options
Do you have a personal trainer? If yes ,does it work better then working out on your own?

Replies

• bhurley100
    bhurley100 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Followong
  • onehartfit
    onehartfit Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I’m a personal trainer and find people like to have accountability, even when they know what they’re doing they want someone to push them harder
  • lalabank
    lalabank Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I’m new to working out and enjoy a variety of cardio and strength training classes BUT my personal training sessions are absolutely the best thing I do each week.
    It’s been about 8 weeks of classes and 5 weeks of personal training, this is what I’ve learned:
    -the personal attention I get from my PT teaches me proper form and tweaks my moves so I’m getting the most from every single move and I take all of that into the rest of my workouts throughout the week.
    -I’ve got someone who knows what my fitness level is and encourages me to challenge myself, I can ask her “do you think I can handle this extreme class?” Or “what class or workout should I add in this week?”
    - It feels good to have someone to encourage me and to be proud of the work I’m doing.
    - I have a “friend” at the gym, someone who knows my name and says hi to me. This might seem silly but as a gym newbie having a familiar face feels really good. (8 weeks in and now I have a bunch of gym “friends” but having just one really helped me start)

Everyone’s journey is different but for me, my personal trainer is like my weight loss Gandalf.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i've had both - some personal trainers don't push me like i need to, they just let me coast along - others will push me (which is what I need) - so its finding someone who works with what you need for motivation
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    I have a personal trainer and he is worth his weight in gold. He understands my physical limitations but pushes me to work hard at everything I am capable of doing. I like the accountability and I like that he challenges me to try things I wouldn't try on my own.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    There’s a lot more to personal trainers than push. The wrong push will hurt you. And training injuries can be a major downer.
    Some trainers are better than others. And not every trainer is a good fit with every client. Don’t be reluctant to walk away and find someone else if you dont think you’ve got a good match.

Mostly what I want from a trainer is someone looking for spot on form who’s going to correct me when needed. Bringing some variety to the workouts is also a plus.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I’ve had a personal trainer for about 8 months now- I do cardio just fine on my own but wanted more help in the weight lifting area to build more lean muscle. It’s been a positive experience and I love our training sessions- I find I work out harder and more efficiently with her. I also agree that trainers have to be experienced, educated and a good personality fit for their client.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I have an online trainer, he used to post here a lot.

He's totally worth it so far, my strength training is custom to some of my injury's and he's easing me into lifting so I'm not experiencing the pain that would normally make me quit. He monitors my macros and calories and has good tips when I need help. He's a good sounding board when I have questions/vents.
  • TheGetFitGal
    TheGetFitGal Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    So I got a personal trainer, best decision ever!
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I’ve had personal trainers in the past. My experience was actually kind of a nightmare. First one they gave me I just felt uncomfortable with so I asked for a new one after a couple sessions. I really liked the second one but she didn’t really push me. She ended up leaving the gym I was at though so I got yet a third one. He was ok but then got fired a couple weeks later. I loved the fourth guy. He was totally awesome and the workouts he designed for me were perfect but of course by the time I got to him I only had like a month of training left and I’d had such a crazy experience up to that point that there was no way I was giving that gym even more money.

Basically, having a trainer can be great but not every trainer is great at their job so it can take awhile to find the right fit.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    So I got a personal trainer, best decision ever!

Please tell us more.
    What made you decide to get one?
    How often do you meet?
    What are you learning?
    And anything else that may be relevant.

I’ve never had a personal trainer. My cardio is a variety of classes, my lifting is an established programme that suits me and my goals.

Cheers, h.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    TL;DR. I had one good one, I had a bunch of mediocre ones due to high turnover. Built my own garage gym and started seeing results without a trainer.

I've had two instances where I had a personal trainer, one worked and one didn't. When I lived in Guantanamo Bay one of the guys at the gym offered to help me out for free. I was working out 90 minutes a day, lifting and cardio. I felt good, I lost weight. It was a good deal and all he cared about was that I worked out. I moved back to the states and slowed down with my workouts. I joined a gym where I currently live and paid for a trainer. Unfortunately, they had a high turnover rate and I saw about 7 trainers in 2 years. My biggest complaint is the inconsistency and their failure to push people. Now, a lot of my problem in failing to lose weight involves my eating. I have a basic gym in my garage, I wrote up a 5 day split, I have a bench press, treadmill, dumbbells, curl bar, etc. I've found that by just keeping a food diary and following a basic cardio/strength routine I've already seen more results than with a trainer.

HOWEVER, if you have the time, money and you need a starting point, or it will help you be a little more comfortable or help you learn your way around the gym I say go for it. If I could go back to working out with the first guy I definitely would.
  • TheGetFitGal
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Well I had a trial day with a personal trainer(always prefer doing a trial session to see if your comfortable)and i liked it so hired him. In the past I would take up exercising and then would quit cause I didn't have the drive. With the scheduled sessions I have to make sure I go cause I paid money. Gonna try it for a month and see how it goes.
    He charges for 12 sessions per month. That's 3 days a week. Tuesday's/Thursday's/Saturday's.
    The first 15days of January I was just watching videos on YouTube and working out but with the personal trainer my form is getting better.Been trying new things with him like kickboxing,kettle bell, rope's,weight training etc.He keeps you accountable and keeps pushing you when you wana give up after a few reps. Everyday he will make me do different exercises so it isn't repetitive.
  • TheGetFitGal
    Options
    I have an online trainer, he used to post here a lot.

He's totally worth it so far, my strength training is custom to some of my injury's and he's easing me into lifting so I'm not experiencing the pain that would normally make me quit. He monitors my macros and calories and has good tips when I need help. He's a good sounding board when I have questions/vents.

How does a online trainer work?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replying @TheGetFitGal.
    Keep updating with your thoughts and progress.

Cheers, h.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have a PT. I used to go weekly, I am down to bi-weekly now. For me it's a level of accountability, it keeps me on the right track. He also pushes me to do better, helps keep my posture up to scratch.
  • TheGetFitGal
    Options
    Thanks for replying @TheGetFitGal.
    Keep updating with your thoughts and progress.

Cheers, h.

Will do :)