Vegan side effects (but I'm not vegan?)

Options
Hi all. I am not vegan, but I am newly lactose intolerant and eat very little meat (less than once a week), meaning I border on vegan much of the time out of coincidence. A happy accident, imo.

I like my diet, but find myself experiencing some markers of vitamin deficiency. For example, I am discovering little pits in my nails that could flag calcium and zinc issues. I feel a bit silly for not being proactive concerning the vitamin content that dairy used to provide in my diet, but I am still getting the hang of lactose intolerance. I already take b12 and vitamin d.

So, it appears that my very low animal-product diet is beginning to mimic the effects of a vegan diet. While I look forward to the many benefits of this change, I find myself unprepared to face the challenges. I have a few questions for you guys so that I can handle this in a healthy manner.

1. I have seen vitamins out there designed to fill in the "gaps" in a vegan diet. Which brands would you recommend, if any? Chewables are a big plus.

2. I am considering adding 2 eggs 2x per week as a breakfast item. I typically eat peanutbutter + banana on ezekiel toast, will subbing out for avocado toast + eggs a few times per week improve my vitamin outlook? I hear eggs are a great source of b12.

3. Can anyone point me to a vegan guide that is based on science? Most information out there seems to be a lifestyle debate for or against, I am honestly just trying to figure out the medical side of what is happening to me. Educate me!

Thanks everyone :)

Stats: 26, female, 5'9", 135lbs
Goals: recomp/muscle gain while maintaining

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Please don't confuse the "effects of a vegan diet" with the "effects of vitamin deficiency."

I second the recommendation to avoid self-diagnosing vitamin deficiency. I wouldn't recommend a general multi-vitamin for vegans generally, because we tend to get lots of many vitamins. It's true that we do have some special concerns, but these can generally be addressed through either focusing more on the variety in our diet or fortified foods. If supplementation is necessary, I would buy that specific supplement rather than a multi-vitamin.

If calcium and zinc are of special concern to you, it may be worthwhile looking at your diet to see if you're including foods that are rich in these nutrients. For vegans, higher calcium foods would be things like fortified plant milks, greens, tofu (if set with calcium), and sesame seeds. For zinc, it would be foods like legumes, seeds/nuts, and whole grains. If you're not eating at least some of these foods, it would be a good idea to begin including them more regularly if you don't often eat animal foods.

The best vegan nutritional guide, IMO, is "Vegan for Life" by Jack Norris and Virginia Messina. They are both evidence-based RDs and their book has tons of great information on how to meet all your needs as a vegan. It would also be appropriate for anyone who isn't eating many animal-based foods.

I personally supplement vitamin D, vegan DHA, iron, and B12. The D and iron aren't due to my veganism -- the D is because I don't get much sun in the winter and the iron has always been an issue for me. I get blood tests each year from my doctor and make any updates that are necessary to my supplementation then.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Please don't confuse the "effects of a vegan diet" with the "effects of vitamin deficiency."

I second the recommendation to avoid self-diagnosing vitamin deficiency. I wouldn't recommend a general multi-vitamin for vegans generally, because we tend to get lots of many vitamins. It's true that we do have some special concerns, but these can generally be addressed through either focusing more on the variety in our diet or fortified foods. If supplementation is necessary, I would buy that specific supplement rather than a multi-vitamin.

If calcium and zinc are of special concern to you, it may be worthwhile looking at your diet to see if you're including foods that are rich in these nutrients. For vegans, higher calcium foods would be things like fortified plant milks, greens, tofu (if set with calcium), and sesame seeds. For zinc, it would be foods like legumes, seeds/nuts, and whole grains. If you're not eating at least some of these foods, it would be a good idea to begin including them more regularly if you don't often eat animal foods.

The best vegan nutritional guide, IMO, is "Vegan for Life" by Jack Norris and Virginia Messina. They are both evidence-based RDs and their book has tons of great information on how to meet all your needs as a vegan. It would also be appropriate for anyone who isn't eating many animal-based foods.

I personally supplement vitamin D, vegan DHA, iron, and B12. The D and iron aren't due to my veganism -- the D is because I don't get much sun in the winter and the iron has always been an issue for me. I get blood tests each year from my doctor and make any updates that are necessary to my supplementation then.

Just throwing in the suggestion to use tahini (think sesame butter, if you're unfamiliar with it) rather than whole sesame seeds, both because it can be easier to work a nutritionally meaningful amount of tahini into your diet compared to whole sesame seeds, and because whole seeds can pass through your system without being fully digested.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Just throwing in the suggestion to use tahini (think sesame butter, if you're unfamiliar with it) rather than whole sesame seeds, both because it can be easier to work a nutritionally meaningful amount of tahini into your diet compared to whole sesame seeds, and because whole seeds can pass through your system without being fully digested.

Thank you for this -- I should have clarified that in my post and I'm glad you noticed it!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

Thank you for this -- I should have clarified that in my post and I'm glad you noticed it!

Plus, yummy tahini and banana sandwiches! (Or is that just me?)
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options

Tahini and apples on rice cakes for me :yum:
  • janejellyroll
    Options

It *was* just you, but now that you've given me the idea I've got to try it!

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Toast sesame seeds. Grind them. Mix with flour, salt, and pepper. Dip seitan slices first in unsweetened soy or almond milk, then dredge in the mixture. Pan fry until browned...
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    If I were vegan or close to a 100% plant-based diet, I'd supplement B12 and DHA/EPA (or just a full omega 3 supplement, there are algae sources but if you aren't vegan fish oil would be fine).

I also supplement D in the winter, since a main source of D is sunlight.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Some places like Japan have low osteoporosis rates and also low consumption of dairy. This isn't exactly on point, but may have some useful info:

Calcium: What’s Best for Your Bones and Health?

...Additional evidence further supports the idea that American adults may not need as much calcium as is currently recommended. For example, in countries such as India, Japan, and Peru where average daily calcium intake is as low as 300 milligrams per day (less than a third of the U.S. recommendation for adults, ages 19 to 50), the incidence of bone fractures is quite low. Of course, these countries differ in other important bone-health factors as well—such as level of physical activity and amount of sunlight—which could account for their low fracture rates.

...When most people in the United States think of calcium, they immediately think of milk. But should this be so? Milk is actually only one of many sources of calcium—dark leafy green vegetables and some types of legumes are among the other sources—and there are some important reasons why milk may not be the best source for everyone.

These reasons include the following:

Read more: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/calcium-and-milk/calcium-full-story/
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

Today I heard on NPR that tahini is now an "in" food :smile:

I've been using it in certain recipes for years, but keep it out of my brownies!

https://www.bonappetit.com/story/what-is-tahini
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I make hummus every week, and I often make a tahini radish slaw. (And this week, the seitan above, but that's just ground toasted sesame seeds, not tahini.)
  • govtelectromagnetsprobably
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This has been very helpful.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    have you looked at trying lactaid or one of the other non-lactose daily options - i use fairlife which is lactose free and has a protein boost
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Today I heard on NPR that tahini is now an "in" food :smile:

I've been using it in certain recipes for years, but keep it out of my brownies!

https://www.bonappetit.com/story/what-is-tahini

I didn't know it was in, but it's in baba ganoush (in most recipes) and makes a nice sauce.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    I make hummus every week, and I often make a tahini radish slaw. (And this week, the seitan above, but that's just ground toasted sesame seeds, not tahini.)

I personally feel like tahini and radishes are an enchanted match. I will roast radishes and then top with a lemon-tahini dressing. So good!