My Big Fat Fabulous Life

Options
My Big Fat Fabulous Life is coming back on for a new season.

Why I applaud her for living her life to the fullest on her terms. I have to say I have a problem that she isn’t really promoting good health. Being that over weight has such bad consequences on your body.

What do you think of her and the show and the message she is sending?

Replies

• keodell1966
    keodell1966 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    She started out as a YouTube dancer. While she’s overweight, the show just shows her life. Again, it’s not the focus of her show.
  • GIRLPOWER7113
    GIRLPOWER7113 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I don't like this show . It's saying it's ok to be big.. no it's not healthy .. we are all beautiful in all our sizes and yes we shouldn't shame but we should support each other in a healthy life style.
  • keodell1966
    keodell1966 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm not convinced she's promoting herself as being fat. It's her life. She IS fat, let's face it. She has a show and it shows her out with friends, dating, being with family, just like the rest of us. The aren't talking about her weight for an hour. I read her book and she went to college, did some YouTube dance videos which she was always interested in, and that's how she got the show.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    I quit TV for a reason, thanks for the reminder why...

Same. I got rid of cable almost a year and a half ago and don't miss it at all. I only watch sports on TV anyway.

When I did have cable I'd only watch scenes of this show if Babs, Whitney's mom was on. She's funny.
  • mariececilia10
    mariececilia10 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I feel conflicted about a show that somehow glamorizes fat as fabulous. It isn't fabulous. I also feel conflicted when I walk into Target now and most of the mannequins are now overweight sized female figures. I don't believe in body shaming.. but now as a society we are going to condition ourselves to think being overweight is normal and even desirable? Then the health problems our nation faces because of obesity.. it is insane.

I don’t agree that the show glamorizes fat as fabulous. In fact, I think it does a good job of showing how being fat makes life difficult in ways people who are an average weight don’t realize. I think the title, “My Big Fat Fabulous Life,” and the show itself are meant to break the stereotype that being fat and fabulous are characteristics that are at odds with one another. It seems that most people believe it’s one or the other and someone can’t be both. I like seeing Whitney prove that that is false episode after episode. She is fat, AND she is fabulous. It’s inspiring.