• DreamLittleDarling
    DreamLittleDarling Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Really that important.

I'm not saying, I'm just saying....
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Only if you want to lose weight and keep it off.
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    It depends - are you an introvert, super private, already knows it all so you can do everything on your own loner type, or are you an extrovert who appreciates recognition, likes to mingle and share information, encouragement and moral support sort of person?
  • kathywoo10
    kathywoo10 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    yes.
  • starkid120
    starkid120 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    They really are that important.

Just sayin'
  • K1Teacher
    K1Teacher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Vital
  • LAYLAH17
    LAYLAH17 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Just sayin', : /

On this site defintely...They will help keep you motivated and give you a different perspective on things that you would not have. And the more you have the better. Trust me!!!
  • brittanyscherich
    brittanyscherich Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Yes!!!

Just sayin :)
    My husband hates when anyone says "just sayin" lol
  • bhagavatilad1
    Options
    definately just when you least expect it they'll lift you up
  • MegJo
    MegJo Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    They have been the difference I had been looking for but didn't know it. I had never been successful until I found MFP. What makes MFP so great is the community. I have made real life friends on here that both live in my area and far away. They've given me the confidence I need to overcome the daily struggles of trying to lose weight.

Today MFP informed me that I've logged on for 340 days.... and it's all because of my "friends".
  • gdr1976
    gdr1976 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    They have been the difference I had been looking for but didn't know it. I had never been successful until I found MFP. What makes MFP so great is the community. I have made real life friends on here that both live in my area and far away. They've given me the confidence I need to overcome the daily struggles of trying to lose weight.

Today MFP informed me that I've logged on for 340 days.... and it's all because of my "friends".

^^^^ This
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    It depends. Certain friends are. I have one that reads my diary every day and questions unhealthy choices. Keeps me in line! Other friends have similar diets and exercise routines (eat big, work big) so I like to look at their diets. I have a couple of of expert/trainer people who post good blogs and stuff. And some of my MFP "friends" are real life friends. But then I have a lot of friends that don't really do anything for me....
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! You can lie to yourself much more easily than you can to your friends! :happy: No excuses, do what you need to do and everyone here will help you!
  • senraq
    senraq Posts: 8
    Options
    interesting....
  • SusanRenee35
    SusanRenee35 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    critical
  • rebsaganes
    rebsaganes Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!
  • ayshamc
    ayshamc Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Yes! I love reading my little (I don't have many friends yet but i'm getting there lol) news feed each day, seeing how well everyone else is doing really spurs me on.

I like to think that if someone is having an off day that we can be the ones to encourage them to keep going and that they will do the same for me when I feel like i'm slipping (which they do!)

I love reading of the progress everyone is making - it's definitley making a difference to my life....so "Thank you" to any of my friends that read this :flowerforyou:
  • jgaht
    jgaht Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Yes. Individuals who have social support during weight-loss lose significantly more weight than those who begin a weight-loss routine without social support. If you're interested in an empirical research article, I suggest :

Benefits of recruiting participants with friends and increasing social support for weight loss and maintenance.
    Wing, Rena R.; Jeffery, Robert W.
    Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, Vol 67(1), Feb 1999, 132-138. doi: 10.1037/0022-006X.67.1.132

If you don't have access to a library database, send me a message and I can get the article to you.

Granted, this article was conducted with RL family/friends. In the absence of true social support for your weight-loss in RL, I think online friends are a nice substitute. I'm not familiar with any studies regarding online support currently. That's not my line of research.

Hope this helps,

Jessica
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Depends on how many friends you have in your head already. If you have a nice group of people already there, then it's not so important. If you take the yellow pills and your friends in your head leave you, then it's a bit more important to have friends on here.

In all honesty, I did mfp without friends and I lost a bit, but nothing kept me coming here so I fell off the wagon.

Second time around I embraced the friends and community and having a much more positive experience and a motivation i've never had before.
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Friends. If you like having someone watch over your logs and give you a pat on the back every day, then by all means, get some MFP friends.

I've got a couple, but ... meh. I don't really need anybody to comment on my daily food/exercise log. I got tired of it, tbh, so I stopped confirming my log at the end of the day.

If I need motivation, I've got my boyfriend, my baggy clothes, and a mirror.

Nothing wrong with having friends. Definitely nothing wrong with not having friends either.

As mine go inactive, I've been deleting them. Then I'll be left with either a handful of daily active people or no one. Either one is fine with me.
    It depends - are you an introvert, super private, already knows it all so you can do everything on your own loner type, or are you an extrovert who appreciates recognition, likes to mingle and share information, encouragement and moral support sort of person?

Not really a fair portrait of an introvert.

I could paint a similar picture of extroverts as nosy, exhibitionists who can't do anything on their own.

I don't need 200 people to whom I feel obligated to "wtg" everyday in order keep me going. Doesn't make me a know it all or a loner. It just makes people different.