Anyone own a bowflex m5

Options
Was just wondering if anyone has any good stories to pass along about the max m5

Replies

• MVY_
    MVY_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I'm using one right now. It's awesome but a lot of work. It really does push you like it says. If you aren't use to using your legs a lot you will feel the burn and soreness the next day. It's kind of like an elliptical but also like stair master as well. You really need to push down to get it going and feel the burn. Have been working on it and so far I'm doing great with weight loss!
  • MVY_
    MVY_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Also it says 15 minutes is all you need but I actually go 30 minutes.
  • lcantrell13
    lcantrell13 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I got the M5 set up this weekend and you are right...it KICKS YOUR BUTT! I can't wait till I can begin the max interval training...I need to build up to it. This machine is wonderful!
  • jtwarrin5
    jtwarrin5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've had the Max Trainer M5 since 1/07/16 and it is a great machine! I've logged nine workouts on it and I've progressively increased my resistance and time. Attached is a screen shot of my journal. I would highly recommend it, but it's not easy! 7im6bfxvi9kc.jpg
  • Chrissy292018
    Chrissy292018 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    We just got ours set up tonight and it is a workout! I can't wait to jump on it!
  • DavidKruse1
    DavidKruse1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was kind of surprised that there isn't more info on actually adjusting the settings for the M5. What's worked best as you move up?
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I've been using the M5 for around a year now. At first it was so much of a workout, even on the lowest resistance, that I simply couldn't do it. I walked instead for several months. After a couple of injuries I went back to it about six months ago and just kept at it until I could stay on the thing. I started at the lowest resistance and when I felt like I couldn't continue I would simply slow way down, almost stopping, until my heart rate would go back down and it felt like I could go longer. I started with 5 minutes, then 7, then 10, then 15 and eventually up to an hour. I then slowly over the last months started adjusting the resistance up. This was all on the steady state or the manual program mode (just push start and select your resistance and go as long as you want). I now do 30 minutes each morning on level 10 for a 500 calorie burn or so, then after doing some weight training I go back and do a 14 minute MAX workout on level 10. It's a hell of a workout.

My M5 started to grind today so it probably needs repair which is a bummer (just when I was getting used to it), but I still love it and it's under warranty for two years (the M5 is anyway) total so I should be able to get it fixed.

Feel free to ask any questions you want, I'd be happy to answer. Not sure what I would do without my MAX trainer and honestly if it broke and couldn't be repaired I would buy another one. It's that good.
  • simon_weir
    simon_weir Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    @Spliner1969
    In another post you mention using an alternative chest strap heart rate monitor with the M5 - can you tell me which one you use and is it an improvement on the supplied one?
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Looks like an awesome machine. Too much for my blood but looks like it would get you results.
  • Spliner1969
    Options
    simon_weir wrote: »
    @Spliner1969
    In another post you mention using an alternative chest strap heart rate monitor with the M5 - can you tell me which one you use and is it an improvement on the supplied one?

Yes, I use a Polar H7. The one that came with the machine was an earlier model Polar I think (not entirely certain) and it didn't work very well for me. Kept having contact issues, and it was also not able to do Bluetooth LE so I couldn't use it with other apps. The Polar H7 does both Bluetooth LE and ANT+ so it works with both the Bowflex M3/M5/M7 and my smartphone (iPhone). Honestly, I don't use the calorie estimates on the Bowflex, I don't think they are very accurate, and they certainly don't take into account heart rate for intensity. All calorie burns on the Bowflex are a calculation based on the resistance level and RPM over time. It may (I just don't know) factor in your stats you enter into the machine (height/weight/age) but it may not. The H7 worked so well with both the Bowflex and my phone I now won't use anything else. I'm actually on my 2nd one, the first one got a bit flaky after about a year and a half. Still works, but I think the strap needs replaced. Anyway, to cut off a longer story, it's a Polar H7, available on Amazon pretty cheaply.
  • Spliner1969
    Options
    Looks like an awesome machine. Too much for my blood but looks like it would get you results.

It was expensive, but worth it to me. I bought it on a sale/promotion so I got a decent deal direct from Bowflex, and they gave me 0% interest financing so it was easy to buy. I've had it for about 3 years now and it's still going strong. I break it down every few months (at least twice a year) and grease all the bearings/rollers and it keeps on kicking my *kitten* hardcore lol. I expect to get another year out of it and then will probably need to have it repaired by Bowflex (I think eventually the internals will wear out) since I run the thing these days on max resistance 100% of the time.
  • simon_weir
    simon_weir Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    @Spliner1969
    Thanks for your advice on this - I've bought a Polar H7 but I am having trouble getting it to connect to my Bowflex M5. Can I just check what settings you are using in the Polar Beats app for the H7 (do you use this?) - there are two toggles for "Visibility" and for "GymLink" - at the moment the M5 sees the H7 for a few seconds when I turn off "GymLink" but then drops out... - turning "GymLink" on and off again makes it reconnect but only for 5 seconds or so. (As far as I can see "Visibility" has no effect)

Otherwise the H7 is a huge improvement on the supplied strap and I agree about the calorie counting - you have to take into account the heart rate as well

Thanks for you help !
  • Spliner1969
    Options
    simon_weir wrote: »
    @Spliner1969
    Thanks for your advice on this - I've bought a Polar H7 but I am having trouble getting it to connect to my Bowflex M5. Can I just check what settings you are using in the Polar Beats app for the H7 (do you use this?) - there are two toggles for "Visibility" and for "GymLink" - at the moment the M5 sees the H7 for a few seconds when I turn off "GymLink" but then drops out... - turning "GymLink" on and off again makes it reconnect but only for 5 seconds or so. (As far as I can see "Visibility" has no effect)

Otherwise the H7 is a huge improvement on the supplied strap and I agree about the calorie counting - you have to take into account the heart rate as well

Thanks for you help !

How long have you had your H7? Could it need a new battery? I notice my M5 drop mine out when the battery is about half way or a bit less. These days I ignore it because I use Endomondo instead on elliptical setting go gauge my calorie burn rather than the M5 so to me it doesn't matter if it connects or not, I just lay my phone on the cradle on the M5 and can watch my heart rate without it dropping. My older H7 (I had it for about 1.5 years) got really bad about dropping out with both the M5 and the phone so I replaced it. Been great but the last couple of weeks it's been dropping in and out on the M5 (but not the phone yet). It's probably the battery needing replaced since I've had the 'new' one for about six months now.

There are a few other things you should try with the H7...

1) At least every other use (I try to do it every time) take off the unit from the strap and rinse the strap under warm water really good, dry it with a towel and hang it to let it dry overnight. I hang mine in front of a standing fan on a hanger to dry it quicker. Once a week I'll soak it in hot water and a little laundry detergent (a very light amount) then rinse and dry for use the next week. It keeps buildup from sweat/salt on the snaps and keeps it from smelling bad lol.
    2) Make sure you are moistening the contacts and your skin under where the contacts are well when wearing the strap. I even keep around a couple tubes of Electro Gel (you can find it cheaply on Amazon). It's water based conductive gel, a dab about the size of a small pea on the contacts makes instant contact with your skin and helps connectivity. Some dropouts are caused by your skin getting dry under the contacts. Generally with the Bowflex this isn't an issue (especially after about half way through a workout lol) but at first if you're not sweating it can be an issue.
    3) Try replacing the battery. If you've had it a while, or if it sat in a warehouse for a long time before you bought it (who knows) it might be low. The Polar app always tells me mine is near full even if it's not. They are available at local stores, either in the battery isle or around the jewelry counter (because some watches use the same types). I believe the H7 uses a CR2025. If you have a choice, go with a good brand, Duracell or Energizer. Off brand/cheaper ones don't seem to last as long before they give me trouble.
  • drapexnet
    drapexnet Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Make sure there are no other compatible chest straps (even ones not being worn and apparently "inactive") within range as it seems this can compromise connections to your H7 chest strap. I have also found that if the chest strap has already been linked to "User 2" it will not recognise the chest strap if you select "User 1" and try to work out - you will need to "reset" User 2 before you can wear the chest strap as User 1. Hope this helps other users avoid the frustrations I have had to work through!
  • Veganvibesss
    Veganvibesss Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I bought it but I didn’t like it, I found it required WAY to much work to burn the same calories I did on a elliptical easily. Not sure if the calorie counter was off but either way it seemed to be more of a weighted workout then an actual active workout. The more weight you added the more calories you burned where as on an elliptical you can burn more calories with different incline as opposed to adding weight. It was to hard for someone who’s not used to weight training. I have lost 50 pounds on the elliptical so I’m sticking to it