How do you do it?

Options
ChrisKom
ChrisKom Posts: 25 Member
edited December 2018 in Motivation and Support
I have to know how you all do it lol. I am a mom of a very very busy toddler and I work full time and my husband and I have a small hobby farm. Please explain to me how people have the time to workout and cook healthy meals all the time. My day starts at 515am and is done at 10 pm and I’m exhausted by the end of the day. I need to lose weight and start off so strong but within 2 weeks I’m so busy and stressed that this is the first thing to fall by the wayside. Any tips would be great.
PS - I would love to have some friends on here for accountability and support.

Replies

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    For me, it is preparing all my food for the week.

So, carve out time on Saturday or Sunday night to meal prep. Try and make it fun... turn the t.v. on in the kitchen and prepare a crap load of healthy food for the week. Even portion it out in glad containers for lunch. Chop up salad mixes and put it into big zip lock bags, prepare bags of cut fruit or vegetables to snack on. Get everything ready for grab and go,,or to make it easy to prepare a quick meal when you get home and you're tired. this is the only way to stay on a diet when you're busy. I do chicken meatballs, meatloaf.stuffed peppers ... chicken stew.. or grilled chicken breasts. I buy frozen fish fillets and put out all my produce in bowls on the counter so I can see what I have to cook with.

Also.. eat the same thing for breakfast everyday.. so it takes the guesswork out.. it is simple routine.. not stressful. I eat egg whites. and oatmeal with a 1/2 cup of fruit.. it is automatic.

When I don't have food ready to eat, I get so hungry and I have no choice but to go through a fast food joint to eat. I much rather just eat what I have on hand ...it is just not being prepared that leads to sure failure.
  • Kevdudebro
    Kevdudebro Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue here. I have been going to bed 2.5 hours earlier than normal. Waking up at 5:30 every morning and going for my walk and gym workout. I prep my food on Sundays. I eat the same breakfast every day. But I squeeze it in. I’ve been having anxiety about my time going down the drain, but feeling good is timeless.
  • michelleg85
    michelleg85 Posts: 30 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I am currently working shift work - 12 hr days plus 45 min commute on each end. I hear what you are saying, for sure. For me, I acknowledge that on days that I am THAT busy - there just simply is no time to dedicate to working out, so I make sure that I eat well. When there is time that pops up to work out (usually for me, a few times a week I find an extra hour to go for a run - run 30 min, take a shower, etc.). Do what you can, when you can. Otherwise, keep eating healthy, and being so busy will really take care of the rest (you'd be surpirsed how much exercise + calorie burning you get in when you are doing stuff around the home, running errands, taking care of your hobby farm, etc). We just don't realize it until we mix healthy eating into the mix. And last off, don't stress! We can only do our best.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Before I started logging and exercising I constantly said I didn’t have time to do it. Then I had a health scare directly attributed to being obese. Suddenly and magically I had time to log my food and exercise regularly because the alternative was to be chronically ill :|

I made a choice because I did not want to have to instead find time for extra Rx pickups at the pharmacy, extra doctors/ER visits, dealing with diabetes, feeling sick and crummy, a future liver transplant, etc. What helped me a lot was giving up TV, it was such a time waster and makes me constantly want to snack! I’ll watch some shows online but I’m using my time more efficiently now and I’ve found my passion for trail running and would much rather be active than sitting in front of a screen for hours.

You will have to make time, make your health a priority. Think about what would happen to your time if you fell ill as a direct result of not taking care of yourself and use that as motivation to invest that time into getting healthier instead. Take small steps to improve your health, small changes add up to something big over time. Good luck :)
  • LiLee2018
    LiLee2018 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I have 3 kids.. 2 of which are toddlers aka mini terrorists. I hear ya. You just have to make that time for yourself. Make a meal plan for the week. Make time to prep for it and stick to it!! Include easy quick snacks that you can grab and go with. Don't buy crap that you know will tempt you. Stop making excuses for going back to what you were doing before. See your triggers and stop yourself from sabotaging yourself.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,878 Member
    Options
    ChrisKom wrote: »
    I have to know how you all do it lol. I am a mom of a very very busy toddler and I work full time and my husband and I have a small hobby farm. Please explain to me how people have the time to workout and cook healthy meals all the time. My day starts at 515am and is done at 10 pm and I’m exhausted by the end of the day. I need to lose weight and start off so strong but within 2 weeks I’m so busy and stressed that this is the first thing to fall by the wayside. Any tips would be great.
    PS - I would love to have some friends on here for accountability and support.

My husband cooks, not me!

Also we go the quick and easy meal route ... not fast food, but rather frozen food.