Do you track your exercise?

I feel like when I track the exercise, I eat more. What do you do?

Replies

• AT0M1CR00ST3R
    AT0M1CR00ST3R Posts: 17 Member
    Yes. I log my exercise into MFP. And yes, exercise does often increase appetite. It can be difficult, but sometimes I just have to resist the urge to eat, use some self control and discipline and tell my stomach NO
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    I feel like when I track the exercise, I eat more. What do you do?

Yes I track all extra activity that falls outside of my normal daily routine - 60 minute walks, 30 minute treadmill session, 10 minute kettle bell routine, etc.

The extra calories gained can be eaten back in increased food intake, but the general recommendation is to eat about 50% of it.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    If you don't eat back your exercise calories, you end up really hungry. That makes it much harder to stick to healthy eating long term. Instead of getting into a starve and binge cycle, by eating your exercise calories, you feel more satisfied with your way of eating, so you'll continue to watch what you eat.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,831 Member
    Yes, I track my exercise ... and yes, you'd better believe I eat more.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    I track my exercise, and eat back some or all of my calories. I only log things that go above and beyond my normal day-to-day movements at work or at home. (Ex: I don't log cleaning, but I do log a 15 minute walk outside)
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    You track/log, and eat exercises calories if you follow the MFP way (NEAT). You don't if you use the TDEE method.

I don't track exercise calories anymore. I log the kind of exercises that I do and the time spent doing them, and give myself 10 calories per exercise. With years of practice and experience and found my own TDEE, and the calories that I need to eat to maintain my weight. Since I am small and old, I don't burn many calories resting or even exercising,
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Of course. And then I enjoy the extra calories I get to eat to fuel my workouts, knowing that I'm not overeating them. (I used to think, in all seriousness, that running up three flights of stairs would entitle me to a brownie or doughnut. Now, I realize that's more like a 2-hour walk.)