Can you leave a digital scale in the car?

Options
A store nearby has them for $10.

I just got back from a 6 day trip, it would get occasional use. Temps can get below 0 in the winter and above 100 in the summer.

It isn't the end of the world to have gaps in my weight chart, but I'm of the opinion that data is useful, in this case for trends. I feel like $10 is a good price for the added consistency. Unless I'm going to wreck it.

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    If you want to keep it in the car maybe keeping it in an insulated sleeve (an old laptop sleeve or one of those freebies that you get with a case of beer) will help with the temp fluctuations.

Cheers, h.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I would think components like the pressure sensor would get damaged in extreme temps. Just guessing of course. :smile:
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    I would think components like the pressure sensor would get damaged in extreme temps. Just guessing of course. :smile:

I would be concerned about that as well. Also, assuming that this car is used for transportation, I'd be concerned that the movement wouldn't be great for it. I mean, they get shipped to stores so obviously they can withstand movement without being wrecked. But I think there's a reason it's recommended that you keep them in one place.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Yeah, a lot of movement too. Bumpy dirt roads in the summer. I was wondering about shaking the pressure sensor up too. I don't know how they work in scales, some bikes have pressure sensors that are designed in a way that shaking doesn't hurt them.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Yeah, a lot of movement too. Bumpy dirt roads in the summer. I was wondering about shaking the pressure sensor up too. I don't know how they work in scales, some bikes have pressure sensors that are designed in a way that shaking doesn't hurt them.

Most food scales would use strain gauge load cells for the sensors. They're not affected much by temperature when not in use and as long as you keep it reasonably well protected from mechanical shocks it should stand up well. Just take the batteries out of the compartment when not in use.

You should let it get close to room temperature before use, however. The temperature (hot or cold) could affect the reading from the load sensor, and the LCD display may not work if it's cold. Once at room temperature it should be fine.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I would be more worried about the batteries than the scale.

But...scales are awfully sensitive to slight shifts in surface, level, etc and the readings you get from this scale might not be as valuable as you think. I can have 7 different weights at exactly the same time if I put my scale in 7 different places. I don’t know how valuable I’d find data from a scale that’s in a brand new place every time I use it - particularly if I’m attempting to trend it against data that comes from a different scale that’s in a consistent location.

But it’s $10. Go have fun if you want. But I would take the batteries out.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    In addition/to underscore what others have said, I can see repeated vibration being an issue (from your car) and unless you're in a hotel or someone's house, you'd be hard pressed to find an even surface. Additionally, different scales weigh differently so you'd likely end up with a false sense of continuity.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I should check. I had a scale at work when I suddenly became retired. It's still in the box in the trunk of my car.

Yes. It's still working accurately.
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I would not recommend it a the movement in the car can be damaging Plus the place where you put it may have an influence - No matter hat you do there will be fluctuations Not because of your weight only but inconsistency and measurement inaccuracy doe to a traveling scale too
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Not sure but- my laptop still works after being in the car on a similar trip! 🎉