Leaning forward on abduction machine

Options
Why do I see women doing this? I understand this machine works glutes and stabilisers when used in the usual manner but what are the supposed benefits of leaning forward or even standing?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I would imagine it works different angles/subdivisions of the glutes. I don't use the machine but when I do banded seated hip abductions I typically do them 3-ways.. one set leaning forward, one set straight and one set leaning back. I feel it in different parts of the glutes.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I tried a Google search and looked at YouTube videos but all without explanation. I would agree that it's for various angles but wonder how it all started!

I'm not looking to do this exercise, just wondered what was going on.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    According to Sohee Lee she says when she leans forward her upper glutes fire more. I would imagine others feel the same.
  • flowerhorsey
    flowerhorsey Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I usually do this on one of my leg days. I'm able to push more weight leaning forward and feel it less on my back. I don't do the standing variation though. Erin Stern has a good idea too, sitting down more in the seat, rounding back, toes out supposed to hit the "upper shelf".
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I find it more challenging not sitting (just lower back touching the back pad) - keeps constant tension.
    Can't say I noticed much difference with forward lean variation
    Have yet to try the backwards variation (facing the seat)
  • flowerhorsey
    flowerhorsey Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I find it more challenging not sitting (just lower back touching the back pad) - keeps constant tension.

I'm gonna try this!