Going to the gym twice in one day?

Options
I just joined a gym a few nights ago. I'm so excited to start my new healthy lifestyle that I keep thinking about going tonight -- like right now. Problem is: already went today. Had a very nice cardio workout for 40 minutes!

But I really don't need to go again. I have a history of over-exercising. I honestly think I'm just bored right now and the gym is my new "plaything."

So, in order to combat this boredom, my questions are: have you ever been to the gym or exercised twice or more in one day and if so, why? Do you have any suggestions for fulfilling that need to be doing something "productive" when there's nothing to do?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I usually do 2 a day once a week - on my WFH day I run at lunchtime and then do my strength training in the evening.

Given that you say you are prone to over exercising I would find something else to do if you're bored.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    I will occassionally do a work out in the morning and go back for yoga in the evening. I would caution you from trying too much too soon though. You are excited to have a membership and enthusiastic about getting into the gym. That is fantastic. Too much too soon could result in injury. The last thing you want when you are excited about exercise is to be sidelined with an injury. Once you have gotten into a gym routine, you will know more what your body can handle then maybe you can incorporate two same-day workouts into your schedule.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I don't go to a gym, but I generally workout 3x/day, so there's certainly no reason to avoid working out if you are energetic and want to fit in a workout.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,931 Member
    Options
    Sure, I need to add about 500 exercise calories per day or I'm hungry, so I usually exercise twice in one day - once at lunchtime and once in the evening. (Or in the AM before work during gardening season.)

Speaking of gardening, it is not unusual for my mom to put in 8 hour days at the height of planting season.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,931 Member
    Options
    emmylootwo wrote: »
    I just joined a gym a few nights ago. I'm so excited to start my new healthy lifestyle that I keep thinking about going tonight -- like right now. Problem is: already went today. Had a very nice cardio workout for 40 minutes!

But I really don't need to go again. I have a history of over-exercising. I honestly think I'm just bored right now and the gym is my new "plaything."

So, in order to combat this boredom, my questions are: have you ever been to the gym or exercised twice or more in one day and if so, why? Do you have any suggestions for fulfilling that need to be doing something "productive" when there's nothing to do?

Isn't there cleaning to do? ;)
  • mywayroche
    mywayroche Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Is today the first time you've been? I only say that because you seem awfully keen considering you only signed up "a few nights ago". Hasn't the DOMs kicked in? I guess possibly not if today or yesterday was the first session.
  • ColtRocker
    ColtRocker Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I work a 12 hour shift. So out of 14 days I will work 7 twelve hour shifts. On the days I work I go to the gym once sometimes. On the days I'm off I can go up to 3 times. I'll do my regular heavy lift with some cardio and leave. When I come back it's always for a HiiT or cycle class. Then finally I'll go again for volleyball or basketball. I'd say do what makes you happy. To a degree I honestly don't think you can overdo fitness, the human body is amazing and will condition itself.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Simple answer - if you’re bored, and looking for something to do, the gym is one of the better options (versus a bar, or munching in front of the TV). Use the sauna, foam roll, yoga, lift.
  • PumpJockeyy
    PumpJockeyy Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Simple answer - if you’re bored, and looking for something to do, the gym is one of the better options (versus a bar, or munching in front of the TV). Use the sauna, foam roll, yoga, lift.

Pretty bang on response.
  • bisonpitcher
    bisonpitcher Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I sometimes will go twice in one day and split up lifting and cardio.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I often exercise twice a day (cardio and strength/conditioning), but it's something I've built up to over time.

Given your history, I'd recommend finding a new hobby that takes focus and is relaxing like adult coloring books, or knitting, or even just picking a topic you know nothing about and starting to research and read up on it. Haven't you always wanted to know all about the migratory habits and the life cycle of monarch butterflies or something?
  • HilTri
    HilTri Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I do 2/days 5-6 day/week. I also coach spin on top of that. I can relate to you OP because yesterday was my day off and I wanted to go to the gym because I was bored. Instead, I cleaned, made a nice dinner that I don’t normally have time to prep and enjoy and I wrote holiday thank you cards. If you do 2/days make sure you do take your rest days, eat and hydrate to support it.