Detox/skinny/fit teas

Options
Has anyone tried them and had success? I realize green tea is supposed to be great for weight loss and thermogenic, but I already take it in supplement form. It seems some of the teas out there have natural laxatives/diuretics in them (dandelion root, senna), but others just have a blend of herbs that are supposed to suppress appetite. I just bought some of Yogi’s Detox tea today that I’m hoping will help with appetite suppression and bloating/GI discomfort, but I’ve always been curious about the Instagram-hyped teas. Or are they just a waste of money? I do like to have some kind of tea in the evening, but most evenings I enjoy the cheap stuff, like one from Trader Joe’s (they have this tea with a fox on the box that we call “fox tea”) or a sleepy time chamomile-based blend.

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I've tried a few. I enjoy the flavor of some, and some of them do indeed have laxatives (like Senna) in them. Handy to keep around for when someone at home is having issues there. If you're going to use one with laxatives in them, a caution: Use sparingly. There is apparently some evidence that overuse can cause the body to become reliant on them which will affect bowel movements.

Cleanses in general are a waste of money in my opinion, but lots of people believe that herbs and teas can help along the way. If they help you, then you should use them. Also - I'd love to know your thoughts on the Yogi tea you mention. I've purchased a few of their teas and really liked the flavor.
  • Johnd2000
    Johnd2000 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    A waste of money and, in the case of Green Tea extracts, potentially very dangerous.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    My sister bought that Yogi detox tea and then left half a box at my place (she was staying with me when she bought it), and I drank the ones she left. It's a very tasty tea with similar ingredients to most of their other teas (I am a big fan of ginger and cardamom, which this one has, among other things, which is one reason I decided to drink them).

Anyway I noticed no other effects other than being a tasty tea (and I don't think it claims to have any laxative effects, as I would not have consumed it if it did).

I also don't find that teas have any appetite suppressant effect -- really, if you eat right (experiment to see what works for you) and don't cut calories crazy low, appetite should not be an issue. What I do find that coffee and teas help with is if I have a desire to snack just because (habit, want a break, want to be eating something -- IME this isn't so much associated with real hunger), they can work perfectly without calories.

Anyway, all of the Yogi teas claim to do special things and I think it's basically all nonsense (not that herbs and other plants can't have medicinal effects in some cases if used correctly, but just drinking little bits of a bunch of them in a tea is not going to have any effect other than placebo). Despite that, many of the Yogi teas are very tasty and so I drink them (along with many other teas).
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    In general, I avoid cleanses unless it is something available under prescription by a doctor (e.g. colonoscopy prep.).

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/healthyeating/a-woman-went-brain-dead-after-trying-a-soy-sauce-cleanse-that-recommended-drinking-a-litre-in-a-2-hour-period/ar-BBQOT5d
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    The only way any tea will help with weightloss is if you drink it instead of high calorie beverages like soda or fancy coffee drinks. Many find the ritual of brewing and drinking tea to be a good way to take your mind off of snacking. The tea itself does nothing, but the process can have a positive effect.

As far as those with laxatives added, I would stay away from them completely. The ingredients are not regulated so you have no idea what kind of dose you are getting in your teabag. You may end up spending a day with severe stomach cramps moving back and forth between bed and the bathroom, or you may get no effect whatsoever. If you are having some mild issues, best to start with foods that can help (personally nuts do a good job for me because they have both fiber and fat) and move on to an OTC stool softener so you can get a standardized dose. Laxatives with the accompanying muscle contractions should be reserved for the last resort.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    JustSomeEm wrote: »
    I've tried a few. I enjoy the flavor of some, and some of them do indeed have laxatives (like Senna) in them. Handy to keep around for when someone at home is having issues there. If you're going to use one with laxatives in them, a caution: Use sparingly. There is apparently some evidence that overuse can cause the body to become reliant on them which will affect bowel movements.

Cleanses in general are a waste of money in my opinion, but lots of people believe that herbs and teas can help along the way. If they help you, then you should use them. Also - I'd love to know your thoughts on the Yogi tea you mention. I've purchased a few of their teas and really liked the flavor.

Isn't the bolded fairly well documented? It matters not if the laxative comes in a bottle from the pharmacy department or a box of tea with a cute teddy bear on it. It's a slippery slope, IMO, for someone already seeking out detoxes and the like.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Sloth2016 wrote: »
    In general, I avoid cleanses unless it is something available under prescription by a doctor (e.g. colonoscopy prep.).

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/healthyeating/a-woman-went-brain-dead-after-trying-a-soy-sauce-cleanse-that-recommended-drinking-a-litre-in-a-2-hour-period/ar-BBQOT5d

Technically, the colonoscopy prep is OTC but is always a set protocol given you by a gastroenterologist. Having done it twice so far, I can't imagine anyone doing it by choice.

ETA: I lost 6 lb. with my last one. The next morning I had already regained 5.5 of those back. Yes, I drank a few liters of fluids plus food after my appointment. For some reason I craved pancakes and scrambled eggs.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    I have most of a Yogi Peach Detox box, and assume I didn't like it, as the Best By date passed 6 years ago :lol:

I do like Yogi's Ginger teas for when I have a cold. They come with licorice, which is nice for a sore throat. I used to make tea from ginger root and dried licorice, but don't get sick often enough to justify buying the licorice root and having it sit around, plus Yogi is more convenient when sick and not feeling like brewing tea.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    catgerm wrote: »
    I haven’t done a tea detox, but I have done a kitchari detox a few times and it was great! I actually am thinking of doing one again soon. I recommends doing one seasonally and I find that it feels natural to do it at those intervals.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.banyanbotanicals.com/info/amp/blog-the-banyan-insight/details/what-is-kitchari-why-we-eat-it-for-cleansing/

This is bunk aka woo. Your body takes care of toxins. Seasonally? What advantage would there be to do it that way? Why put your body through this? 🙄🙄🙄
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I drink many varieties of tea. The only time I lose weight by drinking tea is if I'm also in a calorie deficit.