Why so many carbs??

Options
I'm probably going to sound super dumb right now, but are carbs from fruit as bad as carbs from grains and starchy foods? Because I made some smoothies this morning with banana, mango, blackberries, flaxseed, and cream. When I added the recipe to my food diary though, it had like 67 grams of carbs! So I've completely gone over my carbs for today and I haven't even had lunch or dinner yet. Did I add something I shouldn't have? The flaxseed only has four carbs, and everything else was fresh so I don't know exactly how many they had...

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    If a food comes from plants (sugar, flour from grains, whole grains like oats or corn, veggies, fruits or nuts) it will have carbs. Carbs convert to glucose in the body and are the same in the end except for foods that taste sweet (have some fructose) which is handled by a different metabolic pathway by the liver.

Fibre will slow down some of the carbs (sugars - glucose and fructose mainly, and starches - chains of glucose) conversion to glucose in the blood. If higher blood glucose and insulin is something you are trying to avoid, you may wish to limit your fresh fruit and veggie carb intake. Juices, sugars and refined grains will typically gave the most carbs, followed by fruits and starchy root vegetables.
  • RhiAnLewis17
    RhiAnLewis17 Posts: 2,299 Member
    Options
    From what I gather mango has quite a high carb content. Berries are your best bet for low carb fruits.
  • Bonhamk86
    Bonhamk86 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm probably going to sound super dumb right now, but are carbs from fruit as bad as carbs from grains and starchy foods? Because I made some smoothies this morning with banana, mango, blackberries, flaxseed, and cream. When I added the recipe to my food diary though, it had like 67 grams of carbs! So I've completely gone over my carbs for today and I haven't even had lunch or dinner yet. Did I add something I shouldn't have? The flaxseed only has four carbs, and everything else was fresh so I don't know exactly how many they had...

Are you doing Keto? If you break down the carb intake on your smoothie you would know that one medium banana has 27 carbs, 1 mango has 25 carbs, blackberries have 0.6 carbs for one blackberry, flaxseeds 3 carbs, and cream 1 tbsp has 1 carb. This equals out to 56.6 grams of carbs. Although blackberries are a fruit and can be consumed you must consider the hidden sugar. If you are a smoothie drinker, I would suggest researching low carb smoothies.
  • Frogfisg
    Frogfisg Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I eat 250-300 grams of carbs a day in the form of fruit, veg, whole grains, brown rice, beans and lentils. My BMI is currently 19. I eat huge variety of the above listed carbs to get all my micros and also my macros for health - 60-20-20

I lost 35 pounds three years ago while eating the exact same things as I do now, but only in smaller portions. Overall calorie reduction is a great strategy to lose weight instead of avoiding fruits/certain veg and grains. I preferred to include yummy nutritious smoothies etc. I just didn’t eat as much.

Good luck!
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Is your reasoning for cutting carbs so low due to a medical condition? Or are you trying to go keto?

If there's no medical necessity for dropping carbs really low and/or you're not aiming to go keto, you don't have to get them so low. I'm currently consuming > 150g carbs per day and losing.