I've hit a wall and not sure what to do...

Options
1st post ever on MFP.

I was 330 pounds last January. I started Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu after my 41st birthday in February and have dropped weight to where I am now fluctuating between 262-265 pounds and have been stuck here for a couple months.
I need to drop to 230 but I'm not sure what to do now.
Do I need to somehow shock my body to start cutting fat again?
I really want to do this in a sustainable way and not resort to pills or crash diet tricks. I want a permanent change that sticks but what I'm doing has slowed down working.

Thoughts?

Replies

• Gtrmaestro
    Gtrmaestro Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I forgot to add my height in my description.
    So, I started at 330 and this morning I am 263.
    I am a little bit over 6'-4" tall with a large linebacker type frame.

Looking to get to 230.

Cheers!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    if you are not losing, you are not in a deficit.

you are either eating more than you think or burning less than you think.
  • MattO229
    MattO229 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with the deficit. What helps me is doing a different activity. For example I chose from Zumba, bike riding or jogging.
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I've been stuck for three months on the same weight but my waist measurements are getting smaller,so I'm losing very slowly. I've gone down to 1200 calories this week, and measuring my dinners especially meat and rice, so I'm going to be eating smaller portions this month.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,477 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say congrats on the progress you've already made!! That's awesome!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    I've seen people post about being at a plateau for a long period of time.. You may not have adjusted your calorie deficit down along with your weight loss..or maybe you are in a long stall.

some people break it by switching up their routines eating wise and with exercise. But don't give into fad pills and diet ideas.. logic dictates that if you keep on your plan you will start losing again. don't despair, you've done a great job so far,
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Gtrmaestro wrote: »
    I like that smaller plate idea a lot for when I have to eat what someone else made!

So, I am changing my food logging and instead of logging in such a general fashion I'm logging according to each ingredient. Hoping that works better. Y'all are awesome!

When logging are you actually weighing your food or simply eyeballing? That can make a huge difference for when you plateau.
  • Gtrmaestro
    Gtrmaestro Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I use the MFP to look up something similar and guestimate the quantity.
    I definitely need to get a scale.
    It's totally possible that I might be putting in the wrong recipes. Usually when I type something in, there are lots of options and the calories can vary pretty drastically. So yeah, I think I am eating less than what this app tells me but I don't know that for certain.

For instance, the other day the app suggested that I eat 2090 calories for the day. According to the log I actually ate around 1100 but then it said I burned an extra 1200 in walking and climbing and whatnot. That can't be right LOL.
  • caindove11
    caindove11 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hey, just wanted to say congratulations on the weight you have lost so far. Great job!
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Gtrmaestro wrote: »
    I use the MFP to look up something similar and guestimate the quantity.
    I definitely need to get a scale.
    It's totally possible that I might be putting in the wrong recipes. Usually when I type something in, there are lots of options and the calories can vary pretty drastically. So yeah, I think I am eating less than what this app tells me but I don't know that for certain.

For instance, the other day the app suggested that I eat 2090 calories for the day. According to the log I actually ate around 1100 but then it said I burned an extra 1200 in walking and climbing and whatnot. That can't be right LOL.

It sounds like tightening up on your logging is the way to go as your figures really don't make any sense. It is quite normal to have to do this as you get closer to your goal weight. My kitchen scale was the best purchase I have made for this journey.