Eating Well At The Movies

Options
Tonight I'm going to the movies for the first since starting MFP. I'm a huge movie snacker but I dont want to cheat myself by overdoing it. Anybody got any tips for snacking at the movies without going crazy?

P.S...the popcorn is my favorite snack :)

Replies

• vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Can you bring in your own? That's what I do, you know exactly what you've got there from the packet then.
  • MandaLen13
    MandaLen13 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Can you bring in your own? That's what I do, you know exactly what you've got there from the packet then.

I can try...just have to be real careful because they walk the aisle with flashlights 3 or 4 times during the movie. Stupid but you can get kicked out for bringing in your own stuff.

Any suggestions on what to bring in...
  • John_Gonna_Do_Better
    Options
    I try to eat before going to the movies because the temptation is just to much. Or I work out as much as I can before I go to make sure I have some room for it.
  • Steph70508
    Steph70508 Posts: 110
    Options
    I sneak snacks in all the time (shame on me)...I tend to bring things like a pre popped bag of 100 calorie popcorn or some fiber plus, cinnamon oat crunch cereal. I also bring bottled Dasani, because that is the brand they sell at the theater I usually go to :tongue:
  • amykeeling
    amykeeling Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would try to bring your own if not for the fact that the food at cinemas is sooooooo expensive! A drink and popcorn costs about £10! Maybe have something small you can nibble on and you can hide in your bag like nuts or dried fruit or something. You can make your own popcorn at home as well which is fun and cheap AND you know exactly whats going on in there. Just steal an empty bag next time you go and fill it with your own popcorn and no one will be the wiser hahaa!
  • MandaLen13
    Options
    I sneak snacks in all the time (shame on me)...I tend to bring things like a pre popped bag of 100 calorie popcorn or some fiber plus, cinnamon oat crunch cereal. I also bring bottled Dasani, because that is the brand they sell at the theater I usually go to :tongue:

Yes I do the same with the Dasani. They sell that here too so its easy to sneak in :)

I feel no shame in doing so either when they want to charge me $3.50 for a bottle of water that cost me 45 cents at the grocery store.
  • MandaLen13
    Options
    I would try to bring your own if not for the fact that the food at cinemas is sooooooo expensive! A drink and popcorn costs about £10! Maybe have something small you can nibble on and you can hide in your bag like nuts or dried fruit or something. You can make your own popcorn at home as well which is fun and cheap AND you know exactly whats going on in there. Just steal an empty bag next time you go and fill it with your own popcorn and no one will be the wiser hahaa!

That is an awesome Idea...I never thought about keeping one of the popcorn bags for future use. I will definitely be doing that! but...it doesnt help me tonight.

How bad is the movie theater popcorn? I usually go for the small size and I can never finish it (usually get 2/3 through)...I also never add any butter. If I just have that and a water would I need to feel super guilty?
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    popcorn and diet pepsi!!

freaking expensive at the movies though!
  • littlemiss837
    Options
    Taking your own food has got to be the single best way to control your eating and calories when going to the movies. If you can even pop your own popcorn, you can get like 5 1/2 cups of popcorn in under 100 calories if you don't add butter or anything, and it tastes pretty good since it's just popped.
    If you take your own stuff, just try and sit closer to the middle of the cinema so they don't see you- and if you're concerned with them hearing you bring stuff in, perhaps you could make a little bag out of taped-together paper-toweling so it doesn't crumple and make sounds xD
    That's what I'd do if I went there, since sometimes the movie popcorn isn't vegan anyway, and I'd get a diet coke or a coke zero. Very little calories!
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    i dont think normal cinema popcorn is unhealthy. Its a bit empty calories, but its not a major sin.
    The butterkist toffee popcorn on the other hand needs to be avoided.
  • MandaLen13
    Options
    i dont think normal cinema popcorn is unhealthy. Its a bit empty calories, but its not a major sin.

butterkist toffee popcorn sounds amazing....hahaha. but will avoid it! :P
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    you get like 30gms of popcorn in a regular box...i'd bet on the box weighing more itslef, lol. how many calories could it possibly contain!?
  • kamula
    kamula Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i eat a very low calorie dinner or lunch like an egg and salad and keep my calories for salted small popcort and cola light/zero at the movies its like a treat for me. unhealthy but 1 time a month its ok!
  • Steph70508
    Steph70508 Posts: 110
    Options

Yes I do the same with the Dasani. They sell that here too so its easy to sneak in :)

I feel no shame in doing so either when they want to charge me $3.50 for a bottle of water that cost me 45 cents at the grocery store.

Its a win, win then! Save on calories and $$$! :wink:
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options

butterkist toffee popcorn sounds amazing....hahaha. but will avoid it! :P

it is amazing
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options

I can try...just have to be real careful because they walk the aisle with flashlights 3 or 4 times during the movie. Stupid but you can get kicked out for bringing in your own stuff.

LOL...do they still walk the Aisle with a flashlight? Are you going to a movie in 1970? The last time I saw them walk an Aisle with a flash light was about 20 years ago... I love popcorn also
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    The last time I went I took smoked almonds. No one was carrying a purse/bag so I had nowhere to hide a 100 calorie bag of popcorn.
  • MandaLen13
    Options

LOL...do they still walk the Aisle with a flashlight? Are you going to a movie in 1970? The last time I saw them walk an Aisle with a flash light was about 20 years ago... I love popcorn also

Yeah I thought it was weird too. I live on a military base though so there is security EVERYWHERE! Were constantly being watched. You get used to it.