70 and doing Intermittent Fasting (IF)

Options
Am doing IF with eating window 5pm-9pm and eventually going to 6pm-8pm. This is essentially the one-meal-per day plan. Trying to stay below 50g of weekday daily carbs and 100g on weekends till I reach my weight goal and then think I can do 100g/day if I walk according to plan (Will be walking 30-45 min on average 5 day/wk).

If I must snack outside of my eating window I want to primarily eat eggs, cheese, or pickles.
Main meal to consist of meats of all kinds, leafy green veggies, and sugar free jello with miracle whip on top. Drink water, sugar free coke or diet root-beer during week and one miller lite beer on sat/sun.

Main Goal is to reduce my glucose level below 110. Started out high-high but have it to 135 right now. Weight is 215 from 245 going to 185 (am 5-10).

Anyone want to try a similar plan...?? Anyone already doing something similar that is anywhere close to 70yrs...???

Replies

• mikepierce55
    mikepierce55 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi James....i am 63 and looking to lose 10-15 lbs to get to my goal. Not a fan of fasting but whatever works. I don't do diet drinks but drink lots of water. I don't do sugar free but I will have a sweet once in awhile.
    Miller lite is good on occasion. I do a shake in the morning about 4x weekly.
    I do record everything I eat. I find that it keeps me honest.
    I have no real health issues and no meds. I am 178 looking to be 165ish.
    I did weigh 260 in my late teens. I got down to 148 but way to low for me.
    Do you exercise?
  • jameslewis528316
    Options
    Hi Mike, just getting back to walking... Did 40min in the pool today. I find it easier in water for now. I am pretty motivated because of high blood suger. I want to get better about drinking water. Thanks for your reply... Lets keep our dialog going... I think it will help.
  • jacqui2494
    jacqui2494 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Am doing IF with eating window 5pm-9pm and eventually going to 6pm-8pm. This is essentially the one-meal-per day plan. Trying to stay below 50g of weekday daily carbs and 100g on weekends till I reach my weight goal and then think I can do 100g/day if I walk according to plan (Will be walking 30-45 min on average 5 day/wk).

If I must snack outside of my eating window I want to primarily eat eggs, cheese, or pickles.
    Main meal to consist of meats of all kinds, leafy green veggies, and sugar free jello with miracle whip on top. Drink water, sugar free coke or diet root-beer during week and one miller lite beer on sat/sun.

Main Goal is to reduce my glucose level below 110. Started out high-high but have it to 135 right now. Weight is 215 from 245 going to 185 (am 5-10).

Anyone want to try a similar plan...?? Anyone already doing something similar that is anywhere close to 70yrs...???

Hi Guys

I thought you were women at first. It always seems like we are the only ones try to lose fat.
    I started IF a few days ago after listening to a podcast on the benefits of it. I am 61. So far I haven’t managed more than an 8 hour window but hoping when I return to work that I could get down to maybe 2pm to 7pm.
    So far, I’ve just eaten to satiety but today I thought I should go back to tracking.
    I have been cycling and weight training in a fasted state. I think that is why it’s hard to do a smaller window.
    Good luck guys

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    jacqui2494 wrote: »
    Hi

Hi Guys

I thought you were women at first. It always seems like we are the only ones try to lose fat.
    I started IF a few days ago after listening to a podcast on the benefits of it. I am 61. So far I haven’t managed more than an 8 hour window but hoping when I return to work that I could get down to maybe 2pm to 7pm.
    So far, I’ve just eaten to satiety but today I thought I should go back to tracking.
    I have been cycling and weight training in a fasted state. I think that is why it’s hard to do a smaller window.
    Good luck guys

the only benefits are for those who have diabetes and glucose issues, otherwise its just a window of time in which to eat your calories. the other benefits arent proven.Ive been doing it more than 3 decades and havent seen any benefits from doing it to be honest. I do it because it fits my time schedule and Im not a breakfast eater. to the OP(james) to lower your glucose level just losing weight may be enough for you. you may not even need to fast. just make sure you dont under eat and eat enough calories to fuel your body. one meal a day may not be enough depending on how many calories that one meal has.
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I'm 71, but couldn't follow that particular plan, I'm still determined to lose my excess though. Good luck
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I fast from 8pm until 7am but eat 1200 calories during the day. Keeps my blood sugar stable. ( low blood sugar normally)