When did you notice?

Options
How much weight/how long did it take for you to actually look in the mirror and think “I look better”? I’ve recently lost a stone and people at work notice and I’m wearing slightly smaller clothes but I just don’t see any change myself yet...

Replies

• Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I’ve lost 35 lbs and don’t notice it in the mirror yet. But I can see the difference in pictures.
  • swatson99
    swatson99 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yeah pictures are the best way to tell. Take a pic of yourself at the beginning and another pic after losing so much in the same clothes if you can manage it. The pictures will pick up on things you might miss just looking in the mirror and you can compare two pics side by side (you can't do that in the mirror). Also take your measurements. It feels really good when you have a week where you lose no weight but have lost inches. Does wonders to keep you in check!
  • margbarco
    margbarco Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    After about 8-10 pounds I noticed the rolls/skin folds on my back under the bra strap weren’t as prominent. At 12 pounds, my muffin top wasn’t quite as overflowing in the same jeans.
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Honestly I’m at my goal and still don’t *really* see it, but the first time I realized it was happening was about 1/3 of the way there. I was cooling down at the end of a workout and did a seated twist with a mirror behind me and when I looked over my shoulder I liked how my body looked. Something about not expecting to see my reflection and focusing on my torso instead of my face made it enough like looking at someone else that for a second I could be objective.

If I had it to do again I’d take full-body, head-on photos every ten pounds or so, but I guess I was afraid to jinx it. So I mostly just have to remember to trust my clothing sizes, the scale, and my friends, because they all say the same thing. ;)
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I hear a lot of people that lose 100 lbs still don’t see it in the mirror.

So I second the idea to take pictures and measurements.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Photos are useful reference points : there are probably more of me as an overweight person than I like to think about, but, I have Facebook regularly popping up to show me a memory photo from some time ago; hard to forget but easier to see the positive changes.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I actually have a contrasting point of view to the gradual thinking. I lost ~65 total. Until I lost the first 40 or so, I still saw myself as the fat guy; losing weight gradually and not as fat, but the fat guy just the same. At around that time, I made the first mass clothing purge and got a lot of "new" (to me - thrift shop). Some of it may have been style of the new stuff or just not seeing the old stuff and old me, but my perspective changed. Suddenly I was seeing myself as the fit guy with some work still to be done. For me, the change in weight and size was gradual but the change in perception - how I see myself - was sudden.
  • confidenceinrain
    confidenceinrain Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm about halfway at 21 pounds down and noticed only within the last few pounds. My jeans and other trousers are a lot looser! But other people started noticing about 5 or so pounds ago, that's when people started asking if I'd lost weight.
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I have only lost 25 pounds but I noticed mostly because I started a new job in February and had to buy new clothes. I bought two pair of slacks - I can't wear either one now. A third pair of slacks I bought after I started dieting that were too tight, but they were on sale are now too big as well. Yesterday I wore them anyway (I need to do laundry) and one of the ladies in the office said those are falling off of you I think it's time to retire them. I felt great! It's one thing for me to notice (self obsessed mirror checker) but it's more exciting when someone else notices.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Took me 30 kilos to really notice.
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    From 173lb to currently at 153, I can SOMETIMES see a difference but not always. Mostly in the mornings.
  • caindove11
    caindove11 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I honestly can not really notice the difference by just looking in the mirror. But when I compare old pics with current ones, I can definitely see the difference. I also can see the difference in how my older clothes fit.
  • nk9o
    nk9o Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Over 30 lbs lost and I have not noticed. Nor have friends or relatives. This has no impact on me or my non wavering attitude to continue to loose weight. That's whats important.
  • LiLee2018
    LiLee2018 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Ive lost 40lbs and I still don't see it most days. I do still need to lose about 60 so it's not like I'm super skinny suddenly, but I've gone down almost 3 sizes and I still struggle to actually see a difference in the mirror.
    It doesn't help that my extra flabby bits haven't really changed in shape though. Like I've shrunken overall, but my bigger fatty parts still look the same.
    I know if I continue on though, I will see more of a difference :) Just have to be patient.