Losing with disabilities!

Options
Hi,

I have recently started using this site regularly. I am a mother of a disabled daughter whom I homeschool. I am trying to lose weight with a couple disabilities myself ( an unstable and sore ankle from a pots break - so that cuts out walking, running, skipping rope and the like. And Carpel tunnel in both wrists - which leaves out weights pull ups ect.) What I am doing is working with a ball, yoga, pilaties and tai chi. Some of these are calorie burning and others not so much but considering I live a veeeeeeerry sedentary life any movement is better than none!

I am married and not only is DH not supportive but every time I try to start eating healthy he buys chocolate for me - he hates it. He also tries to hijack my workouts - trying to get me to do things that leave me lame or unable to grasp anything for days. ( For example he says I should start walking distances - after 2 blocks my ankle gives out and I can't walk for days afterwards. )

My Dd is very supportive and helps me stay motivated. :)

I look forward to getting to know you all :)

Happy losing!
Lovi

Replies

• yoghurtand
    yoghurtand Posts: 119
    Options
    Have you tried swimming? It's very gentle on the joints and you can go as fast or as slow as you are capable. That's not very fair of him - I hope he becomes more supportive as you continue :(

Good luck!
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Find someone who wants the chocolate and give it to them, donate it to strangers or the bin :)

Maybe he's worried that you'll get so fit that other men will look at you... have you tried a frank talk with him about why he's trying to sabotage you? If he loves you, he should understand that you're doing this for YOU, not to attract attention.
  • kstw
    kstw Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    You just need to ease into the workouts. If you cannot walk the two blocks...don't. Work up to it. First walk a block for a week or so, then try the two blocks. If Pilates, yoga, the ball or other more stationary workouts do the trick, then keep them up and work to increase the number of reps. You can also find wonderful exercises online (YouTube or on exercise websites) for seated exercises, etc. I've even googled and worked out to the old Jack LaLane videos...it is a bit nostalgic and fun! If dh brings you chocolate (hey, mine brings home Chips Ahoy constantly...I eat what I want when it is feasible and not making my calories go over AND I only eat them at intervals far apart) PACE how and if you eat it.

There are many exercises for disabled people that are gentle on the joints, muscles, etc. I have had wrist trouble and use wrist braces at times to strengthen my hold. I also began doing bicep curls with long exercise rubber bands. I can also use them for tricep extensions, and have gradually worked up to weights.

Also, if you notice on the cardio exercise list, cleaning house or gardening or any number of houehold "work" would be considered cardio!

Keep that positive attitude and listen to your daughter, watching those calories and adding something as simple as house cleaning will work for you.
  • loviatar
    loviatar Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Have you tried swimming? It's very gentle on the joints and you can go as fast or as slow as you are capable. That's not very fair of him - I hope he becomes more supportive as you continue :(

Good luck!

Yes I tried swimming - I use to love to swim so was quite excited and when I tried to get out of the water I could barely limp home because of the pressure on my ankle when kicking. BUT I have been thinking about it all winter and as we live on the ocean it is perfect. When the weather heats up ( I am in Australia and it is winter here) I am going to try some water aerobics where I can isolate and keep the ankle safe. I have been looking for a Styrofoam thing that we use to use when I was on the swim team - you hold it between your ankles and use your arms to swim. I don't know if they have them here in AU. ( I am American by birth) but I haven't found any yet.

So the water is on my plans one way or another when it warms up :)