Comments please

2»

Replies

• pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    There are already recommended weight guidelines, aren't there? BMI, BF%, waist circumference, waist to hip ratio. Maybe if you explained why you think your guideline was better than those we'd be better able to comment.

Didn’t say mine was better, just said it was mine.

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    There are already recommended weight guidelines, aren't there? BMI, BF%, waist circumference, waist to hip ratio. Maybe if you explained why you think your guideline was better than those we'd be better able to comment.

Didn’t say mine was better, just said it was mine.

You said it should be the benchmark for all middle-aged men.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    If you read my initial post, my assumptions were that this mythical 18 year old was done growing, not skinny or fat or heavily-muscled. Basically, normal or average.

The 10 percent allows for an American reality that most of us are less active than we were in high school. Realize my frame of reference is my generation when we walked to school, played outdoors and had PE class every day in high school. There were no video games or computers or smartphones.

Not asking anyone to accept my proposition. My guess is that those who won’t are those who would also reject the BMI benchmarks.

Ok. I guess I'm confused. You proposed something and asked for comments but now you don't seem to really want to discuss it.

For what its worth, I'm actually always a BMI supporter here.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    If you read my initial post, my assumptions were that this mythical 18 year old was done growing, not skinny or fat or heavily-muscled. Basically, normal or average.

The 10 percent allows for an American reality that most of us are less active than we were in high school. Realize my frame of reference is my generation when we walked to school, played outdoors and had PE class every day in high school. There were no video games or computers or smartphones.

Not asking anyone to accept my proposition. My guess is that those who won’t are those who would also reject the BMI benchmarks.

No, I accept BMI. Your idea (which I qualify for) would put me just above the normal range of BMI, just barely into overweight, the same as it does you, using your numbers from the initial post.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Attack dogs? No. It's just that 18 year old people are capable of achieving a wide range of body shapes while still having the lithe bones of a homo sapiens. The skeleton is optimum for slim. Other than cartilage shrinking as one ages and the calcium system getting out of whack, the skeleton is always going to be optimum for slim.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member

I met your assumptions at 18.

I'm not American, just like the majority of middle aged men. Nationality wasn't part of your proposal.

Now I'm retired I'm more active and do far more exercise than when I was 18. My main objection is I really don't really see why an individual would compromise their personal standards because their peers aren't willing or able to be active and exercise. Why aspire to be average especially when that average is increasingly unhealthy?

I actually think BMI is a good range for the vast majority of people and also works for me, my current best weight is at the top of the BMI healthy range. If I used your guideline I would be fatter than optimal for health and athletic performance.
    My BMI at 18 was in the healthy range, at my most muscular I was a genuine slight outlier in that I was overweight due to higher than usual muscle mass (not really atypical in a young male gym using demographic but that demographic itself is a minority across the whole population). In my fat two decades I was simply overweight due to being too fat despite maintaining a good fitness level.

You wouldn't have got push back if you had said "I picked my goal weight based on...…"
    That your proposal might be suitable for you simply doesn't translate to a universal truth.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    My definition (mine only) - middle-aged is 35 to 69 and.99 cents. Old begins at 70.

Yeah, 60 is the new 40. But 9 PM is the new midnight... :laugh:

:D:D:D:D

I consider this comment "insightful" :)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    My definition (mine only) - middle-aged is 35 to 69 and.99 cents. Old begins at 70.

Yeah, 60 is the new 40. But 9 PM is the new midnight... :laugh:

You really get me. Consider yourself hugged for this.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,230 Member
    @pierinifitness Congratulations !
    I began my WLJ at age 65 (middle age?LOL) close to six years ago.

2013 my SW at 376 5’8”
    In High School I was 5’ 9 1/2” 185#

After losing -190 I told my Dr I wanted to set my GW 184 that would be one pound less than my High School football weight! She suggested 179 to get my BMI lower. But with so much loose skin I was happy to get to 184. I made it March and have been successfully maintaining for ten months.

Current Weight is 178 so I plan to keep trying in 2019 and lose an even -200 and keep it there.

OP
    Have you checked your height accurately? You know with age you may need to check, I ALWAYS said I was almost 5’10” LOL! Mot any more!
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,230 Member
    I like the statement that old doesn’t start until 70! Whew..I turned 69 a week ago! (& don’t really feel old, lol)

I turn 71 in February! At my aqua aerobics classes one teacher is 94 and teaches several classes a week, I have friends in the classes who are age 88, 78 and many more seniors who keep making me realize it is only a number.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Jimb376mfp wrote: »
    @pierinifitness

Have you checked your height accurately? You know with age you may need to check, I ALWAYS said I was almost 5’10” LOL! Mot any more!

I haven’t checked my height lately but last time I did, I hadn’t lost any yet. I’ve done lots of pull-up bar hangs, regular pull-ups and heavy weighted pull-ups that I believe provide a good spinal decompression.

Will do a major tape measure exam for my 64th birthday coming up. If I can remember, big if, I’ll share my results here.