special k cereal

Options
angelicdisgrace
angelicdisgrace Posts: 2,071 Member
is it really healthy? i always eat it bc I'm always rushing. just wondering...

Replies

• mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Nope, it causes cancer.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    its not bad as far as cereals go, but I wouldn't say its healthy. Last I knew it had HFCS too.
  • pictureperfect101
    Options
    omg it causes cancer???
    and whats HFCS
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    HFCS = high fructose corn syrup
  • overzoelous
    overzoelous Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Nope. Small portions, not a lot of nutritional value. You could eat a cup of frosted shredded mini wheats for a smaller calorie increase, but stay fuller longer and better for you.
  • Tywana
    Tywana Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Whats suppose to be really healthy for you is any multi grain or whole grain cereal, Thanks for the question I was wondering the same thing as well. I was also wondering about the shakes too. I sometimes drink one after an intense workout.:indifferent:
  • ziggy67
    ziggy67 Posts: 351
    Options
    I always thought Special K was one of the healthier cereals.. although I prefer shredded wheat (bite size) and bran flakes. I had no idea about any link to cancer so this is quite alarming. How ever are they allowed to get away with advertising this stuff if it carries health risks?...for example....that ridiculous advert with the woman in her red dress or her bathing suit swanning around with her friends and showing off her beautiful shaped body all because she eats Special K!!! Do people really believe this stuff?!
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    "healthy" and "healthier" are relative terms. is special k "healthier" than chocolate cake? Yes. Is it healthier than egg whites and whole wheat toast? No.

So... by cereal standards, special k is reasonably healthy. As someone said before, its fairly high carbs/sugar with little fiber or protein. Its not coco puffs, but its not kashi either. So while its not terrible for you, it not good for you either.

So whether or not its healthy really comes down to what your goals/expectations are and thus how clean you should be eating.
  • Solat37_Neil
    Solat37_Neil Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    It never ceases to amaze me the stupidity of some people. :frown:
  • JudyP0389
    Options
    bump
  • jacksonpt
    Options

is that directed at me? if I'm wrong, please correct me so the right/correct info is here for the OP... and so I know.
  • lovewish
    lovewish Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hey...I like special K ! Now whats a girl to do? Well I only eat it once or twice a week with almond milk.
  • Solat37_Neil
    Solat37_Neil Posts: 379 Member
    Options

is that directed at me? if I'm wrong, please correct me so the right/correct info is here for the OP... and so I know.

Not directed at you at all buddy.. it was directed at the people who actually believed that Special K causes cancer.
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    A marvel of modern engineering. That's what makes it Special. Its not bad. The gin and tonic I had last night... That was bad.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Nope. Small portions, not a lot of nutritional value. You could eat a cup of frosted shredded mini wheats for a smaller calorie increase, but stay fuller longer and better for you.

Yup. Or multigrain cheerios. They have more vitamins and minerals too.
  • angelicdisgrace
    angelicdisgrace Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I really need to start mixing up my breakfast options. Wheat toast with an egg white sounds pretty good.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    the special K diet is beyond stupid , really annoys me that people are that daft they fall for it thinking its a magical way to lose weight when its so obviously just a blatant way to sell their breakfast cereal.
    Its a bit like Charlie and Lola's pink milk, almost shouldn't be allowed.
  • InstantSunshine
    InstantSunshine Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Its a bit like Charlie and Lola's pink milk, almost shouldn't be allowed.
    Are you serious? Is that just milk with food colouring in to make it pink? That's disgraceful!
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    oh don't let me start! this children's programme, and Lola this ridiculously cute little girl drinks her Pink Milk. Its in the cartoon, and then you go to the supermarket and there it is, Charlie and Lola branded pink milk. So of course if your child loves Charlie and Lola and sees that your poor exploited kids want to buy it! It makes me sooooo mad! It seriously should be banned. Its healthy, its just milk and strawberry its more the idea that they use a children's programme to promote a product to kids thereby forcing tired parents to buy it.
    Luckily my daughter was quite seriously disappointed in the taste of it!
  • PalmettoparkGuy
    PalmettoparkGuy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I prefer oatmeal or cereals that aren't as processed like Food For Life (www.foodforlife.com) or granola with no added sugars.