Question for those not bothered about TMI! (totm)

Options
Basically I'll try keep it short and sweet!

Can losing weight affect you're periods, I know when your underweight they can stop, but, well I've been pretty regular with TOTM since I had my son (they settled down around 4 months) he's coming up 11months now but I finished mine about a week ago, 2 days later I came back on, (onto 3rd day atm) so I've had it for roughly 10-11 days with a 2 day break but this time around it's different.

Usually a medium lightness, now really heavy to the point (here comes tmi?) I'm going through 8tampons and pads a day and still managed to leak through a couple times - NEVER had it like this before so should I be heading off to my GP or is this simply down to weightloss with my body refunctioning in someway, I know losing weight can do strange things so thought i'd ask first.

Thanks!

Replies

• kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I'd go to the doc. Seems a bit weird. There are lots of things that can make it go a bit wonky - doesn't hurt to get it checked out!
  • GemmieNoWobbles
    GemmieNoWobbles Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Are you taking any new meds? I started taking something for a toe nail infection and my TOM was regular like clock work - could literally set my watch by it - for the last 2 months its been a week early!!?? Perhaps something like that?
    If not then could be the weight loss but I'd get it check for peace of mind! x
  • hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    A drastic change in lifestyle can affect your period, whether you're losing weight regularly or gaining it rapidly. If you've only recently started MFP, or just started doing something different, it can affect it. My most recent period started a few days early, but I also lost 3lbs the week I started MFP. I suggest still going to see a doctor to make sure it's not something more serious, though.
  • Crooks0204
    Crooks0204 Posts: 189
    Options
    I would def. go so your doctor!!! Hope you have some relief soon!!
  • jkb7
    jkb7 Posts: 8
    Options
    I'd get it check out by your Doctor.
  • 1horsetown
    1horsetown Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I don't think you've lost enough weight to affect your system yet.

You are only 11 months postpartim. Your hormones are still a little wacked. And the pregnancy can change the way your system functions. Your body is finding its 'new normal'. Ain't nothing like it used to be after a baby comes on the scene.

Talking to your Ob/Gyn might not hurt, but this might just be what it is.
  • shnazzy
    shnazzy Posts: 213
    Options
    get checked out by doc seems very strange to me dont think it has anything to do with dieting at all
  • gel91
    gel91 Posts: 309
    Options
    I've been regular for the last 6 or so months, have been on MFP 3 weeks coming up 4 and lost 1 stone so far, and I've got the implant (which should techically stop totm! but guess i'm one of the unlucky ones) but have no real reason thats obvious as to why I'm back on already!

Thanks everyone. Will book an appointment Monday just incase!
  • LovingMe19
    LovingMe19 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I've been regular for the last 6 or so months, have been on MFP 3 weeks coming up 4 and lost 1 stone so far, and I've got the implant (which should techically stop totm! but guess i'm one of the unlucky ones) but have no real reason thats obvious as to why I'm back on already!

Thanks everyone. Will book an appointment Monday just incase!

It could be the implant effecting your periods as well. I had to have mine removed because it caused me to bleed constantly for almost a year. The dr tried everything with me, new pills, shots, but nothing worked. Every single form of birth control has caused me to have bleeding issues after my 2nd child. So right now im birth control free, and have no bleeding problems. You definitely should get it checked out by your dr though, bleeding as much as you say you are could be very dangerous and cause you to become anemic. Hope you get things figured out!
  • beach_bum_gurl
    Options
    See your doctor. Not normal.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Definitely not normal. Please see your doctor!!