Advice Needed...

Options
All summer I was kickin butt with my workouts and eating habits, and then it happened... last week pre-planning started for teachers and I was back to the semi-daily grind. After spending 40+ hours this week decorating my classroom and attending meetings, etc, I was exhausted. I still made it to the gym 4 times this week (5 if you include the fact that I went 2X today to make up for falling fast asleep last night), but this is the first week. If I'm already THIS exhausted, how the hell tired am I going to be in a month??? As of next week I have to wake up at 5am and probably wont be getting home until 4pm. I already have "plans" to go to the gym after work, but OMG after this week, I don't know if I can do this!

Someone please help! I need some serious motivation!

Replies

• audigal2008
    audigal2008 Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    hire me! I'll watch the class while you "slip out" lol I am on call at a local school , grades jk-grade 3 are my fave classes :) Dont give up! You can do it!
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Of all people, if you are a teacher you need exercise!! Even if you aren't overweight, just to give the brain a time out to deal with kids!! I will just hope that you find the "new" schedule that fits you. Know that you are SO WORTH being healthy and you will benefit if you find the time for yourself. I hope you take care of yourself!! Well unless you take a time out from MFP, create a new schedule and then come back?
  • tamanella
    tamanella Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I know how hard it is to work a 10 - 12 hour day and then you're supposed to exercise on top of that. I remember how exhausted I would feel and would try to talk myself out of going, but I would stop on my way home at the gym and do my workout. Well, I found that by the end of my workout I started feeling much better! I was able to go home with renewed energy and do things around the house that needed to be done. Those endorphins really got going and it made it all worth it! So don't give up! You can do this and you'll be so glad you did!! Good luck!!
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I am having this same fear! I did well last summer and as soon as I went back to work ( I work in a school) everything went downhill. I am determined for that not to happen again but I'm still scared! Please add me as a buddY and we can check up on each other!

Right now I have been staying up late, sleeping in and then going to the gym sometime between noon and 2pm. Obviously, I can't keep that schedule!

I have to have the kids up by 6am and leave the house by 6:45am to get them to school on time. UGH!!!
  • amyelizbradley
    amyelizbradley Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    When I started, I started very slow, baby steps, with just tracking food, then taking one class, then a few more. I chose taking a class because I knew that I needed the structure/ a specific amount of time (all about efficiency). Before I knew it, I became addicted; not only could I handle my amazingly full/ stressful life, I could handle it, feel good, and truly enjoy life.

I am so happy that you realized that your strength to persevere was lacking and you reached out; THAT is a victory to me! I still struggle but now the difference is that I get there.

Send me a friend request if you'd like a little extra support! All the best to you,
    Amy
  • kheavin0928
    kheavin0928 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Girl, I am in the same boat as you! We had pre-planning days Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday of last week and then started school on Thursday. Not only did I not make it to the gym, but on those pre-planning days we (all the teachers) go out for lunch, to discuss the year, hang out, and in general, just go since we can't during the year. So kudos to you, first of all, for going at all! I do plan to go again this week now that I've survived the first couple of days of school. Last year I found that even though I was exhausted after school, if I worked out I actually had more energy and didn't feel quite as tired during the actual school day. I believe that part of the exhaustion from these first couple weeks stems from the fact that all summer long most of us teachers got to sleep in and/or nap at some point during the day! Or maybe that's just me...:happy: I really think once the craziness of the new year calms down a tad, you'll have a lot more energy and be able to juggle it all! You're off to a great start! Not only that, but on a bad day what's better than a long run to carry your stress away?! Hang in there, you're doing great!!
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Bring you gym clothes to work. After work walk or run the track. Have your team meetings walking the track.

Something to ponder...Your insurance might be lower if you get together and have some tredmills , bikes or ellipticals put in some unused half derelict room. Check with your union to find out. You might not have to buy them just run an add in the paper or craigslist about teachers wanting to be fit to teach. I am sure you will get some nice stuff donated.:bigsmile: