Diets You've Tried and Your Critiques

I thought this might be an interesting forum for a Friday-- especially right before New Years. I'm sure many of you, like me, have tried a million different things in hopes of losing weight. Give a QUICK synopsis of what you've tried and what you are doing now. Who knows... it may help someone starting out make an informed decision with many different opinions. Feel free to share your thoughts AND feel free to let people have their own opinions.

Replies

• whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    I've tried pretty much any diet you may have heard of in the last 40 years. My favorite and the one with the longest term success is not allowed to be mentioned on here (VLCD). I think most of the old WW plans work well, but that may be mostly because of the weekly support meetings and I would not at all recommend the current WW plan. Same thing with Jenny Craig...I think it worked great when you had to go to weekly support meetings and nutritional classes, but not so much anymore. Pretty much anything that has flexibility to allow you to eat foods that work with your body chemistry and tastes seems to work well in my opinion. And I'm a big fan of eating fewer processed foods and less sugar, but more fat and protein, but not personally a lover of very low carb diets. I like a leaning toward Weston A. Price Foundation style or Paleo style in general as long as I can eat sufficient carbs, for example. They seem to work best for my body and my mental state. I also think one's reaction to food is an individual thing and the same diet isn't best for all people.
  • breefoshee
    breefoshee Posts: 398 Member
    Tried: Keto, Paleo, Whole30, Weight Watchers

What is Working: Calorie counting.

I'm not saying it's because of Keto, but after I successfully lost on it for a few months in 2016, I then spent the next almost 2 years binge eating and compulsive overeating, far more than I ever have before. The restrictions were obviously just not for me.

I am someone that has to be able to eat what I want (within reason) but smaller amounts of it, mentally speaking. Makes me less food crazy.

Same for me with Keto! I've never gained my weight back so quickly. I felt like I wanted to make it a "lifestyle change" and sincerely see nothing wrong with it... it just made me a little crazy when I would get off of it-- the moment I had more than 20 carbs.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Tried moderation in all things. Repeatedly. It led to hunger and going off plan within a few weeks. I would lose 5-10lbs and then get hungry and regain my weight. It wasn't sustainable for me at all.

Tried Clean Eating. In hindsight, it was lchf. I lost weight well but then decided to reintroduce baking and noodles and eventually regained my weight.

Tried keto and lost weight well. Tried to raise carbs a bit after a year of maintenance and started regaining, and my improved health issues started returning. If I stay keto, weight management and health us better.

Tried mostly carnivore. It is good for my health and very easy for weight management but the diet is pretty boring- I am not a meat lover.

Ymmv
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    I did VLCD w/ meal replacements. Ive tried calorie counting. What has worked for me is actually eating more! I learned 2000 calories was way too low for me. Oh and never skip protein.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,947 Member
    I haven't tried that many. I've been vegetarian for 44 years, thin to obese and back again: It had nothing to do with weight management, ever. I tried just eating less, plus choosing things I thought were less fattening, some years back. That worked for a while, but didn't contribute to effective maintenance, and I gained it back. I haven't done a fad diet, at least not since I was a teenager. I got very active about 15 years ago, even competing as a masters athlete; I got a little smaller and much healthier/stronger, but no lighter.

This is the diet that worked for me, and has helped me maintain a healthy weight for 3 years since:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm
  • LiLee2018
    LiLee2018 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Tried: Everything under the sun. The most extreme was a juice fast that lasted 3 days. Most miserable 3 days ever!
    What I'm doing now: Keto

I've been doing it for 6 months now and it works for me. I know a lot of people don't do great on restrictive diets like that, but this one is working for me. I'm not super strict about it and am considered "dirty keto", but it is what I'm having success doing. Portion control doesn't work for me b/c I never feel full eating carbs. Never. So I overeat it all b/c I always feel hungry if I'm just eating whatever.
    Eating lots of animal fat/meat on keto keeps me full and satisfied.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 633 Member
    Good information, I have lost weight in the past simply by calorie counting. Guess that will be my plan! Back on track with weighing and measuring and logging every single bite. Plus doing some exercise to tone up and build some muscles.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    In the past 30 years I've tried WW, cabbage soup diet, keto, juicing, vlc, Phentermine, and so much more. I lost weight with some, got physically ill with one, and started fainting with another. Oh I've also lost hair from losing too quickly.

Now I just eat my normal foods, sweets in moderation, weigh everything and log. This is much more sustainable for me and I'm happier with this method.
  • nygr8guy
    nygr8guy Posts: 77 Member
    I've tried WW many times. It has worked but stopped going to meetings, and the weight comes back. WW has a great thing going. I think they know you will regain weight and come back. I've done SAD (Standard American Diet), LCHF, Keto, South Beach, Atkins, you name it. I'm still trying to find something that works long term for me. I know everyone is different and I have been struggling for a lifetime.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,519 Member
    I've only ever gone with eating fewer calories than I burn.

Critique: it makes sense and it works.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Years ago when I was in my 20’s, I tried eating low fat and also cut down my portions. I did lose doing that-about 30 pounds.

Right after that, I had my second child and never really dieted again until I was in my late 40’s or so. I tried low carb and lost a few pounds which I promptly gained back when I couldn’t sustain that way of eating.

Most recently I tried Keto, I kept my carbs under 50 grams a day and again lost a bit which I again regained plus a few pounds. At this point I was just over the line into obese.

This past year I began counting calories, eating whatever I wanted as long as it fit into my calorie goal. I lost 43 pounds and have been maintaining +/- 3 pounds for the past 3 months.
  • ShopGirl9999
    ShopGirl9999 Posts: 775 Member
    Keto- for short while missed carbs. Not for me.

IF- I like 14:10. Its easier for me and most days stick to eat with ease.

Calories Counting- works best. You just have to plan ahead and be mindful. Also space your meals out.
  • netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    Low calorie "only eat certain foods" type of diet (think along the lines of apples, lettuce/salad and eggs/plain chicken breast) with 1 day of water fasting a week that one of my friends swore by, around 2008-2009... ended up constantly dizzy, and gained back all the weight after I quit... Looking back, I was probably averaging about 600kcal a day for a month... Lost about 15lbs in a month but f that

Also tried keto at one point but it made me feel so sick I ended up missing uni because I couldn't get out of bed
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Tried: Low calorie foods and portion control, meal replacement shakes, Nutri-System, Deal-A-Meal, Atkins, Paleo, Raw Vegan. Had varying amounts of success and all-around ultimate failure. None of these every got me to a goal weight that I wanted it to, btw.

What worked: As with Trina - joining MFP, counting calories in/out, portion control. Reading all the stickies to educate myself on nutrition and weight loss with the help of Google. I lost 90 pounds over an 18 month period and have maintained that loss for 3 years now. I still log and weigh everything too. I still futz around with vanity weight I'd like to maybe lose, then maybe not.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited December 2018
    I tried one "diet". One time. In about 2002 I heard Dr. Agatston discussing his new "south beach diet" on a news program. The book wasn't yet out, and I missed the beginning of the discussion, but figured out the basic details. I followed them, and some basic common sense and lost all the weight I needed to lose. It changed how I approached food. I maintained for MANY YEARS. It was easy (until menopause) to keep the weight off eating his "slow carb" way (lean proteins, lots of vegetables, healthy fats, nuts seeds, legumes, some dairy, some whole grains). Now, post menopausal, I'm about to launch back into a "phase one" diet to lose the menopause TEN.
  • witchaywoman81
    witchaywoman81 Posts: 280 Member
    Low fat/low calorie - ah, the 90s. Haha. Wasn’t really “fat” at the time, just a little bit of chub. It worked, with exercise, but I was hungry all the time and it wasn’t sustainable.

Weight Watchers - been on it too many times to count, with varying degrees of success. Their older programs in the late 90s/early 2000s worked best for me. Was really just a complicated version of what mfp does for us now. Wasn’t that hungry and I liked it. Their new program is NOT for me.

South Beach - I did the first 2 weeks, where its most restrictive, and lost weight, but I didn’t carry on with it after that. I think eliminating whole food groups just isn’t for me.

Slim Fast - disaster. Do not recommend.

Now - when my head is in the game, I do great counting calories with MFP; however, based on the data I’ve been collecting here, Fitbit overestimates the calories I’m burning, so I’m testing out scaling back ever so slightly to see if that helps me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2019
    Low fat/low calorie - ah, the 90s. Haha. Wasn’t really “fat” at the time, just a little bit of chub. It worked, with exercise, but I was hungry all the time and it wasn’t sustainable.

Weight Watchers - been on it too many times to count, with varying degrees of success. Their older programs in the late 90s/early 2000s worked best for me. Was really just a complicated version of what mfp does for us now. Wasn’t that hungry and I liked it. Their new program is NOT for me.

South Beach - I did the first 2 weeks, where its most restrictive, and lost weight, but I didn’t carry on with it after that. I think eliminating whole food groups just isn’t for me.

Slim Fast - disaster. Do not recommend.

Now - when my head is in the game, I do great counting calories with MFP; however, based on the data I’ve been collecting here, Fitbit overestimates the calories I’m burning, so I’m testing out scaling back ever so slightly to see if that helps me.

What food groups? Which diet?