whats the best way to calculate calories lost using BPM

best way to calculate calories burned using the info from a heart rate monitor? for example I had an average of 103 bpm doing a 20 min exercise im a man, 180cm tall and i weigh 75 kgs. any help would be appriciated, ive found formulas but they all seem different and overly complicated.

Replies

• That seems a bit low to me. the appropriate zone to train will depend on your specific case, but in general 108 seems a bit low. You have to determine what is the heart rate when you start gasping for hair when working out. That will determine your threshold hear rate. Best for burning fat is about 25 beats below that.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Unfortunately, there is no direct correlation between heart rate and calorie burn. Calories burned is weight(in kg) x effort. HRM's that calculate calories burned just use your heart rate to compare to your resting rate and use that to estimate effort. Then it uses the standard MET x weight formula. Since heart rate varies, it's not a direct conversion. Your best bet is to use a MET chart to figure out the intensity of your exercise, or just use an online calculator.
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    My HRM gives calorie burn but I have compared it to this site a few times. It's not perfect but not too far off usually.

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    My HRM gives calorie burn but I have compared it to this site a few times. It's not perfect but not too far off usually.

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

This calculator rejects a HRavg of 103. That is really too low for most calculators to do anything with. Most HR->Calories studies were done using Cardio, and I'm guessing you were lifting weights or something like that.
  • carlosdon
    carlosdon Posts: 125
    well its for lighter work out games really on my games consoles i have just taken some average heart rate readings using the in game monitor in ea sports active 2 on the 360 and wii. I was just trying to make the estimates a bit more accurate, but as most of these exercise games are pretty low intensity they don't get your heart rate much above 100.

I can guess the higher ones easier such as ufc trainer (113bpm) i was just trying to more accurately measure the less intense ones. some even average bpm in the 90s. I guess anywhere between 3-7 calories a minute burn for most of these but its just based purely on feeling at the moment. I know wii sports burns are up there but I can't find any for the more obsecure games.