Struggling to find the motivation....

Options
Good afternoon everyone. My name is Shelly, I'm 40 from Lebanon Missouri. I've been a member of my fitness pal for several years, but have not utilized the community and I think it may be time to do so.
I have the love and support of my husband and boys, they are my biggest cheerleaders...however...none of them have the desire, or need for that matter, to watch what they eat. So it's hard for them to understand my frustrations. It would be nice to have the support of people that are in, or have been in, the same boat I am. I need to lose 150 pounds to get down to my desired weight.
I've struggled with obesity all of my life, turning 40 has really set off an alarm in my head. I don't want to be a burden to my husband or children because of something I could have prevented. Also, I'm a nurse, and I feel like a hypocrite telling people that they need to lose weight when I am also overweight.
I've tried every diet known to man. I do great for awhile, but then lose all motivation, because I don't have someone to keep me on my toes.

I welcome any helpful tips, words of wisdom or motivation.

Happy New Year to everyone!

Replies

• 1tufmomof4
    1tufmomof4 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Add me to your community, please.
  • amp0325
    amp0325 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey there Shelly I'm right there with you! Needing to lose 100lbs and my husband and son are great support but also have no care about what they are eating. I've been tracking my food for several days and I'm not so good at eating healthy. If you wanna talk or need some additional support, let me know!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Motivation is fleeting for everyone, so don't depend on it. Make logging your food (before you eat it, whenever you can) a habit, just what you do. Are you motivated to brush your teeth every day? No, you just do it out of habit.

Just start logging. Don't set yourself too many other rules at first, just log and hit your calorie goal. Make smart choices as often as possible, and move more however you can, but first focus on logging everything and hitting those calories. Once that's a habit, you can focus on other stuff if you want.

Also know that everyone has days they don't stay on track. The difference is folks who eventually reach goal look at this days logically, learn, shrug their shoulders and get right back on track.

Check out the Most Helpful Posts threads pinned to the top of each forum. Welcome and good luck!
  • intheknow8
    intheknow8 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi I know exactly how you feel. My family eats whatever they like and sometimes it gets hard. I need to loose 150 pounds also. Having a support group will help you immensely. If you would like to know my fitness plan of eating plan just let me know.
  • vetvicki
    vetvicki Posts: 62 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Motivation is fleeting for everyone, so don't depend on it. Make logging your food (before you eat it, whenever you can) a habit, just what you do. Are you motivated to brush your teeth every day? No, you just do it out of habit.

• vetvicki
    vetvicki Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Great advice! My motivation is always my problem as it easily lapses so the idea of making this a habit is a really great mindset 👌
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,281 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    It sounds to me like you are not struggling with motivation (you have a clear idea of why you want/need to lose the weight). Rather, perhaps you are struggling to find a strategy that will really work for you. I know that when I really got serious and started this journey, I floundered losing and regaining the same 20 pounds as I struggled to find what I needed to eat, when, how much, etc., etc. In other words, the first several months were a learning curve for me. Once the pieces fell into place, it was pretty smooth sailing and I am now 3 pounds from goal (total of 60 pounds lost to date).

One of the keys for me was to identify a 'standard' breakfast and lunch ... something I could eat each day that would keep my energy level up and hunger levels down. Focusing on protein was really important. Dinner provided my variety and I allow myself one snack in the evening (a piece of fruit or, if hunger is a problem, yogurt with whey protein). BTW, I have fruit with lunch and fruit as dessert for dinner too, which seems to help a lot with cravings for something sweet.

Dinner is always lean protein and veggies. For those who are not focused on weight, I add additional foods that they like. That way, I am not trying to fix two meals and am able to either not partake of the additional food or I have just one very small sampling portion.

The one thing I am able to do that might be more challenging for you is that I never bring high calorie snacks or dessert into the house. Perhaps there is a way you could enlist your support team at home to help with this ... or at least until you have found a way of eating that helps you to deal with those cravings?

Bottom line ... start with tracking. Experiment with different strategies that work for you. Give yourself permission to find out what is going to work for you and avoid the trap of 'all or nothing' thinking. Remember, you are looking for a lifestyle change that can last a lifetime ... a journey, not a short trip.

One more thing ... i would like to recommend The Ultimate Accountability Challenge. It focuses on process, not weight loss per se ... tracking, exercise and meeting individual calorie allotments. It helps develop the habits that lead to long term success without putting the spotlight on pound lost. An added bonus ... nice supporive participants.

Best of luck!