Working all muscle groups two or three times a week on cut (full body)?

Options
So, I have been doing full body workouts for the past 5-6 months on Mon. Wed. Fri., but I think I made the mistake of working all muscle groups every workout. My routine basically went (some variation, but everything included):
Incline Press
Overhead press
Deadlift
Squat
Row
Curl
Lat Pulldown
Leg Press
Fly
Leg raises
This would take around 50 min-1hr. The question is, was I doing too much by doing this workout every time and not splitting it up like in a traditional full body scheme (A,B,A)? And if I choose to keep doing this workout, is twice a week enough instead of three times on a long cut? I've already lowered my sets on the compound movements from 4 to 3.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    How have you been progressing using this setup? Have you been able to add reps and/or weight? That's what I'd be looking at to see if a program is working.
  • mdrax5
    mdrax5 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    How have you been progressing using this setup? Have you been able to add reps and/or weight? That's what I'd be looking at to see if a program is working.

I was progressing when I was eating more, but since the start of my cut everything has stayed the same. Expected
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Why no bench or deadlifts? I would add those in and then either do an A/B/A pattern or do a full body one day, split the workout the other two days
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    mdrax5 wrote: »

I was progressing when I was eating more, but since the start of my cut everything has stayed the same. Expected

I would not expect everything to stay the same on a cut. It's not uncommon to see slower progress or sometimes lose reps as the cut progresses. However, an across the board stall on everything right away is not the norm.

If you only want to do two full body sessions a week, that's fine. I wouldn't use your current program though. I'd split it up into A and B. Doing fewer exercises should allow you to rest a bit longer between sets, which will allow you to use more weight.

Something like:

A - incline press, row, squat, leg curl
    B - overhead press, lat pulldown, lighter squat or leg press, deadlift

If you have time at the end you could do curls, flys, etc. You might also be able to superset the upper body push/pull exercises, depending on where you workout and equipment availability.
  • mdrax5
    Options
    mdrax5 wrote: »

I would not expect everything to stay the same on a cut. It's not uncommon to see slower progress or sometimes lose reps as the cut progresses. However, an across the board stall on everything right away is not the norm.

If you only want to do two full body sessions a week, that's fine. I wouldn't use your current program though. I'd split it up into A and B. Doing fewer exercises should allow you to rest a bit longer between sets, which will allow you to use more weight.

Something like:

A - incline press, row, squat, leg curl
    B - overhead press, lat pulldown, lighter squat or leg press, deadlift

If you have time at the end you could do curls, flys, etc. You might also be able to superset the upper body push/pull exercises, depending on where you workout and equipment availability.

Thanks for the setup, I think thats definitely the way to go from now on
  • mdrax5
    Options
    Why no bench or deadlifts? I would add those in and then either do an A/B/A pattern or do a full body one day, split the workout the other two days

I do have bench and deadlifts lol, incline dumbell bench press over barbell tho