Home gymmin it

Options
Anyone too shy/anxietymode for the gym & lifts at home instead ? ๐Ÿ˜Š or is it just me ๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ˜‚
ยซ1

Replies

• Wishing_4_Wings
    Wishing_4_Wings Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Anyone too shy/anxiety-mode for the gym & lifts at home instead ? ๐Ÿ˜Š or is it just me ๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ˜‚

I used to go to the gym when I knew it was empty to avoid people seeing me and if people came in I took a short break to see where they wanted to work and I'd go somewhere else (If they wanted the cardio machines I went downstairs to the weightlifting area). Luckily for me though the gym was only busy during the day when classes were going on, so the afternoon and night were wide open.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I suffer from life long depression and anxiety. I eventually did join a gym and it was fine. Most people are friendly and helpful. Nonetheless, as soon as I was able to build a home gym, I did and it's been wonderful.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    It's neither shy nor anxious, it's cheap. I've 4 different cardio devices and a variety of weightlifting gear in my home which I've slowly accumulated over the years.
  • Coconutsfordaze
    Coconutsfordaze Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Likewise with the joys of the Lifelong depression & anxiety ! It's nice to have someone in the same boat, Kami. I Love how much exercise helps it out, a blast of feel good chems to the brain to battle it out with the not so good never hurts (=
  • Coconutsfordaze
    Options
    Haha yes, it definitely is cheaper too, so that's also a bonus
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I have depression and anxiety, but that wasn't what bothered me most about gyms. It was that fact that even going at non-busy times, for some reason, I always had to wait for something. A bench, a set of dumbbells, etc. It got to be really annoying because it broke my focus and the groove and headspace I get into that's part of what makes exercise enjoyable for me.

When I exercise at home, there's nothing interrupting my flow, and I can zone out in that headspace.
  • Coconutsfordaze
    Options
    I completely agree ! No waiting/getting out of your own flow is perfect โ™ก the whole deal saves a ton of time, too.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have s real hangup about people watching me โ€” even if nobody is, I feel like everyone is. So I went and bought what I needed to be able to lift to my goals safely at home. And my mother got me a rack for Christmas, so no excuses now!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I mostly exercise at home. A large part if the reason for that is convenience. I can go any time off day, superset without annoying people, etc. People looking at me really isn't a factor. I know it's a common fear but if the choice is a gym or nothing, I encourage people to go to the gym and just focus on what they're doing, not what others are doing or might be thinking.
  • Mike1804
    Mike1804 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My wife REFUSES to workout at the gym. So I would say,its a common thing. She feels like everyone is watching her/judging her, so weโ€™ve made a home gym with an extra bedroom. Me on the other hand, my workouts are much more effective at the gym. Something about being around others that are active makes me want to push myself.
  • kami3006
    Options
    Aside from not having other people to work around, I love being able to do what I want, when I want. Plus, I can wear whatever, look as messy as I want, grunt, cuss, and blast whatever music I please. :bigsmile:
  • kami3006
    Options
    jemhh wrote: ยป
    I mostly exercise at home. A large part if the reason for that is convenience. I can go any time off day, superset without annoying people, etc. People looking at me really isn't a factor. I know it's a common fear but if the choice is a gym or nothing, I encourage people to go to the gym and just focus on what they're doing, not what others are doing or might be thinking.

^ I completely agree with this.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Anyone too shy/anxietymode for the gym & lifts at home instead ? ๐Ÿ˜Š or is it just me ๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ˜‚

More like two factors:
    • No steady income (I'm a freelance editor; my husband works, but I try to avoid monthly drains on the bank account).
    • That's me in the avatar. As you can probably guess, I'm religious. I can't work out in form-fitting/short/tight clothing where there are men around* and the closest women's-only gym is about 45 minutes walk away. Probably 25 on public transit. When the weather's lousy, that's a deterrent.

So, long walks around the neighborhood. Glider in the basement for when the weather is bad or the daylight is too fleeting. Strength-training with dumbbells in the basement.

*I'm actually wearing a long-sleeved shell under the T-shirt and a loose skirt over leggings.
  • Slunce1
    Slunce1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I do both. It does not bother me to go to the gym. It motivates me and on the days when I don't feel like going I do my workout at home. There is tons of workout videos on youtube.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    The gym anxiety is real, especially this time of year because they are absolutely packed full. But I just try to remember everyone else there is just as unhappy with themselves and trying to make big changes. Give everyone a mental high five that we showed up. That said, my Christmas present to myself this year was a spin bike for my basement. There are just days I'd much rather not leave the house but still have a desire to work out.
  • JohnnytotheB
    JohnnytotheB Posts: 361 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Like jemhh, I do it for the convinience factor. Also, I don't have to pay a monthly fee. I bought weights used or got them from free from Criagslist. A lot of people just give them away it you come pick them up!

I also can't stand the men's showers at most clubs. Most are open (no stalls) and I really don't appreciate having my junk on display or seeing others stuff on display. Privacy please!!!!
  • Coconutsfordaze
    Options
    I think this post turned out pretty great (: it's nice knowing I'm not alone in this, & has definitely helped point out quite a few reasons why home gyms do indeed rock my socks. (Saves cash, time/transportation, my mind, the ability to wear whatever, sooo agree with the freedom of being extra sweaty and grunty and pushing further because of being in the comfort of my own home! Or like when I try and up my weights, then fail,& just switch them back out again without being anxious/embarrassed I've been spotted ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜) and to those of you who think home gyms suck and enjoy going to an actual gym, good on you, too, of course (: I'm kinda envious and hope to some day have that as an option for me if I wanna. Until then, it's all good. Different strokes for different folks, right ? The most important part is that we get the job done wherever we have available to us and find most comfortable (=๐Ÿ‘Œ
  • FindingPositiveMetamorphosis
    Options
    I prefer working out in my home too
  • Coconutsfordaze
    Options
    And balls yes, to adding the bike. Tabata training bike sessions are pretty great and so fast.
  • LiLee2018
    LiLee2018 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    About to start working out at home. Also have anxiety and that feeling of people staring at me even though they're not. Plus I can be as loud and wear whatever I want at home :) Also it grosses me out a bit to think of other people sweating all over a machine I'm about to use. People already don't wash their hands after using the bathroom, so I can only imagine the grossness all over the machines at a gym.