Biggest losers

I am just beginning on my weight loss journey I would love to hear from those biggest losers out there who have lost 50 pounds or more and how did you do it/ how long did it take? How much did you weigh at your heaviest versus how much do you weigh now? Once you lost your weight what changes did you make to maintain? And how about saggy skin has anyone experienced going from extremely heavy to fear what is your experience with your skin? I’m sorry for so many questions?

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited December 2018
    I’ve lost over 100lbs. My success thread (which includes information you are asking for and pic’s):

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10257157/c-section-mom-of-2-my-progress-over-the-past-couple-years-lots-of-pics
    **Loose skin pics are on page 3 :drinker: **
  • tmwyles
    tmwyles Posts: 26 Member
    I've lost 200ish lbs. From 385 to 185 or so. I've been maitaining for the past year or so. Took me 18 months or so to lose all the weight.

Wow how in the world did you do that
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    lost 100+ in about a year and a half/2 years. been maintaining the past 3 years. have 30ish more to lose (im not married to any number on the scale)

how did i do it?
    • weighed and logged EVERYTHING
    • worked out regularly (on average 4-5 times per week anywhere from 30 min to an hour, sometimes with an additional walk but that was more to get away from my ex for awhile and not for exercise lol)
    • ate what i wanted on holidays and birthdays. it was one DAY for those events and not an ongoing free for all.
    • made what i wanted... fit into my calories. including chocolate, alcohol, and eating out.

maintaining for me is stupid easy, so i cant help there. it is harder for others. everyone is different.

i dont really have any loose or saggy skin, but am likely to on my lower abdomen, at least it looks like i will have a not so lovely but better than being fat flap of skin.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    tmwyles wrote: »
    I've lost 200ish lbs. From 385 to 185 or so. I've been maitaining for the past year or so. Took me 18 months or so to lose all the weight.

Wow how in the world did you do that

I don't qualify for your 50+ amount (I lost 48 for now) - but, what I did applies regardless of the number. The how is simply doing it day by day. It's not in chunks or rigid discipline. It's the development sustainable habits. That's it. Don't try to accelerate a timeline, just one decision at a time - over time.
  • LoPotion
    LoPotion Posts: 25 Member
    I lost 50 pounds in about a year, going from 180 to 130. I set my goal to lose half a pound per week, and exercised on top of that to further increase my deficit (I chose not to eat back those calories). I had a treadmill at home that is sadly broken now, but I used it every weeknight for an hour, walking at various inclines. It sounds tedious, but I enjoyed it. It was time I got to myself after the kids were in bed. I wish I'd incorporated some strength training too, but I just didn't know much about fitness at the time. I thought cardio was everything. :#

I have some sagging skin on my lower stomach, but it's left over from my pregnancy two years ago.

I didn't make a lot of changes to maintain. I run three times a week now for 30 minutes and lift weights. As for my diet, I eat the same stuff. My portions are slightly larger (I still weigh and log everything because I suck at estimating), and I have an extra treat for dessert, a beer, or a glass of wine at night.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    I lost 16 st 7 (about 230 lb) in a little under two years. That was around 60% of my bodyweight. I’ve been maintaining at between 10 st 9 and 11 st 5 for several months now.

How did I do it? Scrupulously honest tracking of calories, never going above my daily allowance, and distracting myself anytime I felt hungry.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    edited January 2019
    112lbs in 20 months (237 to 125). 5’4” female. Dress sizes 22 to 6 (18 to 2 in US).

Basically just ate fewer calories than I burned.

Maintained now for over 12 months, stayed within maintanence range of 5lbs or so.
  • tmwyles
    tmwyles Posts: 26 Member
    Wow everyone’s stories really help me. Yesterday was awful in-laws are in and they insisted on a huge breakfast. I did my best with that and Lucy was ok too. After lunch I did some yard work I have been neglecting. My back was hurting pretty bad before the work but when the pain really hit during the work I knew I was in for it later. Sure enough by the time I rested 5 min my back pain was in full bloom. I hurt to move anything. Well for me it is kind of a self inflating problem. My back hurts when I work, when my back hurts I want to eat, when I overeat I gain weight, the heavier I am the more I hurt, the more I hurt the more I want to eat. But I’m determined not to fail I may not hit my 100lb this year but it will happen and more.