First run outside off treadmill - Ouch!

I did my first outdoor run on Monday and I still can't walk! I've been training on a treadmill for about 3 months and could run for 30 minutes but taking it outside is a whole new thing. I hope this DOMS won't last long so I can keep training.
I used to be able to run 10k outside about 4 years ago, I'm so sad that I'm back to this pain and slow going.

Replies

• GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Yeah treadmills are great when it’s inhospitable outside but not really a great replica for running outside.

No wind, no terrain or lateral movement. And really you’re not powering yourself forwards. You’re just sort of jumping up and down whilst the treadmill belt moves itself.

Don’t get me wrong - it has its place and I’m a fan in certain situations but there are some key differences compared to the great outdoors.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I find there's some crossover between treadmill and road running, but they're also almost completely different disciplines for me.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I did my first outdoor run on Monday and I still can't walk! I've been training on a treadmill for about 3 months and could run for 30 minutes but taking it outside is a whole new thing. I hope this DOMS won't last long so I can keep training.
    I used to be able to run 10k outside about 4 years ago, I'm so sad that I'm back to this pain and slow going.

are you stretching thoroughly after you run?
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    That surprises me. 3 months of running on a treadmill should be pretty good prep for outdoor running. Next time, maybe start by running on a track.
  • smcurtis1981
    smcurtis1981 Posts: 53 Member
    That surprises me. 3 months of running on a treadmill should be pretty good prep for outdoor running. Next time, maybe start by running on a track.

I thought so to! Ah well. Went again thismorning, still abit sore but it was a good run. I don't have a track anywhere near me so road it is.
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Almost smart to vary terrain. Keeps injuries at bay. I do ove a treadmill cause I'm a numbers nerd and like to compete with the people next to me.