Motivational Movers - Sunday, 8/21/11

Options
Good Morning Everyone!

Seeing that I was eating up in RI yesterday instead of exercising the first thing I did this morning was check the weather forecast. Looks like the thunder boomers are going to hold off until late tonight so it's off with the DH and puppy for a hike today. Outdoor exercise, that doesn't seem like real exercise, is so much more fun than the gym!

Have a great day!

Replies

• thurberj
    thurberj Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I can not wait until the 90+ temps are over with so I can start hiking again. I like the gym, but love to switch off the exercise regime with some nice hikes in the woods :-) Have a great walk with the puppy :smile:
  • Barbaramax
    Barbaramax Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    ya i need motivationaalon sundy also and it's raining here so i will have to do my treadmill and you are right the gym is more fun.the gym i go to is closed on Sunday.
  • schusty40
    Options
    I just got done with my 30 day shred and a brisk walk outside through the trails in my neighbourhood! It is so much nicer to walk outside that on the treadmill.
  • Amber393
    Amber393 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Morning everyone!

Stormed last night so got some debris clean up to do, nothing major just small branches so I'll go out in a bit to do that.

Great to hear how everyone has done so far this morning! Keep it up. :smile:

Amber
  • wtbf
    wtbf Posts: 57
    Options
    Good morning everyone. Sounds like you're all off to a good start. I'm barely awake yet so I can only tell what's on my agenda. I think today I'll pull out one of my Firm cardio videos and do that since I'm really sore from my work-out yesterday. I did push-up for the first time in a long time and I'm feeling it today so I think some cardio is in order. May then go for a walk with my girls (to the park of course). Pretty lazy day ahead I think. Have a great day all and Chat with you later.
  • olso123
    olso123 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Is it too late to join in on this thread? Would love to share with all of you.
  • Amber393
    Amber393 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Never to late on joining! The more the merrier!

Amber
  • KeepMyFocus
    KeepMyFocus Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi .. great motivation to move. LIke it!
  • wtbf
    Options
    Welcome Oslo123 and any other newcomers. We chat here everyday to motivate and encourage one another. Hearing about what everyone else is doing and seeing their successes really motivates me to get off my butt and do something, or to get off the couch and quit snacking. I find when I want to snack, I go to the message boards and keep busy there instead of eating (at least that's the theory) Anyways, just finished a "FIRM" video... I forgot how much I love those videos so 45 min of aerobics and strength training = about 300 cal. Not bad. Now to get on with my day. Take care everyone and remember "whether you think you can or can't... you're right!"
  • Sieggie
    Sieggie Posts: 70
    Options
    Well, as said, I did get out for that hike (1 1/4 hrs on a medium rated trail). Just can't quite figure out how many calories to count. MFP says it's about 620 and my iPhone pedometer app says it's about 200 calories less. Guess at the end of the day it really doesn't matter as long as I don't eat them.

Also, just want to let you guys know that you're definitely inspiring me to exercise daily. It would have been so easy to take the entire weekend off. Hopefully Shred will arrive tomorrow and I can begin incorporating it into my CurvesSmart MWF routine.

Thx,
    Sieggie

PS - 20 month old Golden Retriever puppy is down for the count!
  • olso123
    Options
    Thanks for letting me join!

This will be great for me to get the motivation I need get a kick in butt to do more strength training exercises. I do plenty of cardio because I am a dancer mostly, swing and latin (salsa, merengue, american tango) and ballroom (waltz, foxtrot, rumba, chacha, american tango).

I just got home from an afternoon of dancing. I took some workshops....Scottish country dancing (never did this before...very energetic and a great workout) and Argentine tango. I was also in a flash mob doing swing and line dancing.....what a fun experience that was! I am schedule to do the flash mob two more times, in September and October.

One thing I do not like is strength training....it completely bores me and I find it so hard to keep motivated with it. I just got the 30 Shred in the mail the other day and I am hoping this may help. I plan to strat it Monday

I had ACL reconstructive surgery on my knee several years ago.......I really need to be more diligent with resistance training in regard to my leg muscles so I can protect the knee joint from injury when I dance. I am hoping the Shred will be a good routine to use 2-3 times a week for this.

My long term plan is to dance until I am 90..... so I must keep upper and lower body muscles toned to prevent injuries!

Well, I am off to cook some turkey stuffed zucchini's.....

Again, thanks for letting me join you all and we can do this together!
  • Sieggie
    Sieggie Posts: 70
    Options
    Oslo123....just a thought. If there is a Curves with Curves Smart anywhere near and convenient to you, you might want to look in to it. I HATE gyms. I have had personal trainer after personal trainer. I have tried almost everything and then about 2 months ago I went in to our local Curves. It was super welcoming, all women, all in completely non intimidating clothing. A little older group than I expected but a wonderful group of women.

The CurvesSmart is resistance training with self imposed cardio in between. It uses a microchip card that you insert in each machine that monitors your workout. It isn't traditional weights but uses hydraulics. It ups your workout as you're are ready for more resistance. Your progress is monitored by the computer before and after every workout.

So far.....I haven't lost any weight but my clothing is fitting better and I've been told that I look thinner. Building muscle...losing fat? Bottom line is it's a no brainer. Negative..it's the same circuit each time you go but it's quick (30 minutes - although I usually do the resistance machines for one extra circuit -- the microchip records it and counts the calories). And, by the way, it is completely personalized to you. Weight, height, etc and you can be measured every 4 weeks, the computer reminds you to have the staff measure you.

Just a thought. We're all in this together. I've found that ANYTHING helps.

Going back to ready FITNESS...looking for any new hints. A little bit of honesty...just poured a glass of SV Blanc. It's Sunday....is tomorrow really back to work?

Sieggie

PS - all Curves have a free 1 week trial, but you definitely want a location with Curves Smart (the microchip).
  • wtbf
    Options
    Oslo123, when you start doing 30 day shred make sure you're careful about your knee. I found Jillian's work-out to be very fast paced (which is good) but also that she does individual move very quickly so just be careful that you're not rushing from movement to movement and risking your knee. I like her work-outs because they're quick but I do find them a little too fast for me to maintain good form, but that could be just me. Anyways, welcome to our group and I so wish my hubby was a dancer, I'd love to learn all of those dances. I so enjoy dancing, but my husband can't really keep time, so we're at a bit of a loss there.
    Anyways, take care everyone and we'll chat again in the am.
  • maritza327
    maritza327 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

Hope everyone's weekend was good. I had a nice day with my mom...we went to Carrabba's (one of my fav places but very dangerous in the calorie dept) and we shared a Caesar salad and a Margherita pizza. I was feeling good and then we ordered cannolis for dessert. They were oh so good. I wasn't going to workout today as it was a rest day...but I felt guilty about the cannoli. So I sucked it up and put a good 30 minutes and burned 255 cals. Happy in the end I went :)

Welcome Oslo123 -- as Joanne said, be very careful with your knee. I had meniscus surgery on my knee and I found Jillian's 30 shred a bit taxing on my knee.

Joanne and Siegge....glad to hear you ladies some exercise in on the weekend!! Definitely motivational. Have a great night...back to the ground tomorrow.
  • olso123
    Options
    Wtbf and maritza327….thanks for the heads up on the 30day Shred DVD. I have found that some of the exercise videos are too taxing on my knee joints and I have to modify the moves to do a lower impact version.

Sieggle, thanks for the suggestion to check out Curves Smart. There is actually one in my neighborhood. I do belong to a gym but I find it very overwhelming in the weight room and I don’t stay focus. I use it more for the treadmill and some of the classes. Curves sounds like it would be the perfect solution for me….small, a routine geared for me personally and I love that it records your progress and calories burned. I just may need to check this out next week.

BTW.....Carrabba's is one of my favorite restaurants too!

Everyone have a good night and chat with you tomorrow!
  • wtbf
    Options
    Well I can't believe it! Tonight we went to a friends place for supper and she is notorious for having loads of junk food of every kind in her house (and for me, if it's there, I have to eat it) So I had 2 pcs of pizza, some cheeses, some cinnamon sticks, some hickory sticks and a rum cooler. I tracked it all and I only came in at 200 over for the day!! I'll take it! I really need to listen to my body though. I felt like I had overeaten so if i would have stopped before I felt stuffed I probably would have been ok for calories. And a good time with friends to boot so all in all a good day. See you tomorrow!!