Replies

• ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Honestly no idea but would guess eleptical
  • Grnhouse
    Grnhouse Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Both are great. ET is gentle on the joints.
  • bcampbell2011
    bcampbell2011 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a Bowflex Max Trainer. It’s a cross between a stair stepper and an elliptical. Awesome cardio workout!!
  • hnk1113
    hnk1113 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Best for what?
    Best for who?

Just looking for opinions for myself. Thanks.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    hnk1113 wrote: »
    Best for what?
    Best for who?

Are you looking for calorie burn, or training for something? Your goals will make an impact on the answer.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    A bicycle. :)
  • hnk1113
    hnk1113 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    Best for what?
    Best for who?

Are you looking for calorie burn, or training for something? Your goals will make an impact on the answer.

Calorie burn
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    Best for what?
    Best for who?

Calorie burn

Either one then. I agree with niner that whichever one you’ll stick with is best. Most folks prefer the movement of one over the other.
  • LoPotion
    LoPotion Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Both are great - though I read somewhere a long time ago that ellipticals overestimate calorie burn more than treadmills do. I have no idea if this is true or not, but it scared me enough to commit to the treadmill back then when I was young and dumb.

Are you thinking about getting one for home use, or trying to decide which to use at the gym? If it's the latter, feel free to alternate between them. Switching it up can keep things from feeling too routine, and the elliptical can give your joints a rest from the impact of running.
  • JohnnytotheB
    JohnnytotheB Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I hear eliptical, if those are the only 2 choices. It's less harsh on the joints. This is only what I heard from others and is not based on anything specific. I prefer going outside for a walk. I can't stand the indoor stuff because I get really bored.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the others that say the "best" is the one YOU like and YOU will use. These days with cheap gym memberships it would probably be worth it to join for a short period just to sort that out.

We have a high end elliptical and it's been used plenty over the years. But I've never owned a high end bike trainer, or treadmill, or rower. And I suspect that I might actually prefer the AMT type machines over the elliptical we own.

You can burn plenty of calories with a lot of machine types, or no machine at all. Just figure out what you will do more, and do it.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Running shoes.
  • competeagain4x
    competeagain4x Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Me
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    +1 on the running shoes.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,069 Member
    Options
    100% agree with the people suggesting that the exercise you enjoy the most is the best for calorie burn. Why? Because if you enjoy it, you'll want to do it regularly, and stick with it. If it's a boring chore, you'll put it off at the slightest excuse. A theoretically less effective exercise you do regularly burns way more calories than a theoretically perfect one you avoid at every chance.

The most ideal is to find something you enjoy so much you'd do it even if it weren't good for you ;)

Keep in mind that many things are calorie-burning exercise, and good for your cardiovascular system, not just gym machines. Folks have already mentioned cycling and running. There are also lots of kinds of group classes, martial arts, dancing of all sorts, skating, swimming, games like tennis or basketball (or whatever), and much, much more. Also, doing some strength-building exercise is a great thing: It will help you hold onto as much muscle as possible while losing weight, and leave you with a better appearance at your new weight.

Me, I like to row: Boats in Summer when I can, machines in Winter when I must. I also go to spin classes twice a week for cross training, and do some recreational biking and walking, plus a bit of off-season strength training.

Find the fun: That's the best exercise!
  • competeagain4x
    competeagain4x Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    +1 on the running shoes.

Psh
    No sneakers required with me
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    Although cycling is my personal favourite, I also run, hike, walk briskly, climb the stairs at work, row and occasionally do things like canoeing, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, etc. as the conditions permit.

Try different things ... find something you like.

And actually if it comes down to calorie burn, climbing the stairs at work gives me a decent calorie burn in a relatively short amount of time. It's not exciting, but it gets the heart rate up.