Apple Watch activity, exercise apps alternative

Options
The activity and the exercise apps that comes with the Apple Watch are not my fav. Looking for a free app that combines both or at least tracks steps, stress and climbs. HR is not a biggie for me. Thanks in advance MFP peeps.

Replies

• GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    There are several in the UnderArmor range that would work.
    Also MapMyRun, Runkeeper etc.

I think you need the latest Apple Watch to get the number of stairs climbed as my watch doesn’t have that capacity. Even if your chosen app has it as an option.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    If you describe what your issues with the native apps are, people might be able to suggest better, otherwise we're doing no better than you just browsing the Watch app store and seeing what you like.
  • Grnhouse
    Grnhouse Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    @melaniecn77 great suggestion. With the activity app I don’t like the fact the you can’t change the exercise and stand goals. The exercise app doesn’t seem to capture my weight lifting as I thought it would. The start and finish are not automatic. I guess I may have to get use to it. I hate you can’t participate in challenges with others unless they have a AW. Prior to the AW i had a garmin vivosmart 3. I thought the AW would be similar.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Ah ok.

As far as the goals go, they are pretty much hard coded into everything the AW is about, down to its image and design.

So I don't think there is any way around the auto tracking, any apps others make rely on the same basic infrastructure as far as what the watch can see and count. For example if someone makes a walking app, it will only be able to present the same stats as the native app would, however it's presented.

For challenges that auto report, there is an app and fairly active group on r/applewatchfitness, here is the January thread https://www.reddit.com/r/AppleWatchFitness/comments/aa115p/reddit_january_challenge/ but yes, only other AW owners still.

That subreddit might actually be your gateway into more info about all the apps and opportunities that are available.

• Grnhouse
    Grnhouse Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    @MelanieCN77 thanks.