Lost 10.2lbs in two weeks. From 176.8 to 166.6

Options
jeffrife
jeffrife Posts: 15 Member
So I've gone from 176.8 to 166.6 since I started C25K and monitoring my calories in MFP. I'm a 5'8" 28yo guy and was wondering if this type of loss is normal or if by using the scale the past two weeks, I've broken it? I'm asking around if anyone I know has a scale for a "second opinion".

My goal weight is 155...but I'll be happy hanging around 160 if it means my gut is going down and I'm building up some muscle. I guess I'm asking if this has happened for other people or if I am deluding myself!

Replies

• leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,798 Member
    Options
    i guess it COULD happen..how did you lose 10 lbs in 2 weeks ? congrats, and good luck the rest of the way
  • Dabbles
    Dabbles Posts: 367
    Options
    I'm guessing a lot of it was water weigh
  • reinventingandrea
    Options
    It definitely can happen. A lot of times the water from any water we've retained will be the first to come off.
  • smily_001
    smily_001 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    It can happen. I have lost 6lbs my first week (have not weighed for my second). I think when you are tracking your food you are more aware of what you are eating and you also added in some exercise that I am guessing you didn't have before.. Keep it up. It may not come off as quick next week but every little bit helps.
  • denimandroses
    Options

My guess, as well. Otherwise, it's too much too fast! :)
  • jeffrife
    Options
    I assumed it was water weight...but I didn't know the loss rate of it. Now that I got rid of that gallon+ of extra water hanging onto my fat molecules, it's time to start burning that 10lbs of fat away!
  • jeffrife
    Options
    Everything I've now read states that you can gain back 5-10lbs of water weight in one day...Now i know that my weight fluctuates 1-4lbs from the beginning to the end of each day...but its kind of disheartening to think that all Ive pushed for over these past two weeks could be for naught after 24 hours....especially as I am sitting here soaked and recovering after a tough W3D1 in C25K
  • TiffanyA2008
    Options

My guess, as well. Otherwise, it's too much too fast! :)

Agreed with both. Probably a lot of water weight and if not it is too much too fast. If you're losing weight really quickly you could be at risk of putting it back on later down the road. When it comes to weight loss, we definitely don't want to rush things. Losing weight more slowly is so much better because your more than likely to keep it off!
  • TiffanyA2008
    Options
    Everything I've now read states that you can gain back 5-10lbs of water weight in one day...Now i know that my weight fluctuates 1-4lbs from the beginning to the end of each day...but its kind of disheartening to think that all Ive pushed for over these past two weeks could be for naught after 24 hours....especially as I am sitting here soaked and recovering after a tough W3D1 in C25K

Please don't get discouraged. Don't be hard on yourself about this. Give yourself time. Also want to encourage you to drink LOTS AND LOTS of WATER! Flush out all those bad toxins! Keep your body flushed out! :)
  • Stuartm1
    Stuartm1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options

The best thing is not to weigh too often. I weigh once a week and try to make it same time same day (Sometimes not possible so I wait an extra day) 10lbs is an awful lot to lose in 2 weeks you should aim for 1 to 2 pounds a week. Also change your excercise routing every so often so that your body doesn't get too used to a routine.
  • jeffrife
    Options
    I think what's got me encouraged is the fact that I don't feel as bloated as I used to...I'm trying to break the trend of the men in my family, all skinny/lanky with a bit of a beer gut. So even dropping the two inches off of my stomach from that has me excited. My earlier post wasn't meant to be discouragement, but rather realization. You've got to be vigilant and keep pushing or else you can take a few steps back. It probably came out a bit of a downer because I just got back from a run (which has me the most excited. I ran 3 mins non-stop twice today. I haven't done that in over 10 years!!!)
  • meliturtlee
    Options
    If possible, try going to your dr. Office to make sure all is good. Professional opinion is always nice if it's available.

Either way, good luck on the rest of your journey :)
  • jeffrife
    Options
    I'm set at 1.5lbs per week and weigh in every Sunday morning. That's the one I record. The other weigh ins during the week are just for learning/research. I'm interested in seeing how the body fluctuates weight as I work my way towards my goal. If over a week I go -1,-2, +3, -2, ect....the number that matters is the end of the week...and if it ends up being higher by a pound or two, no big deal, it may mean I caught it at a bad time and the next week may be lower. I remember playing hockey 3 years ago and dropping 5-6lbs a game.

The overall goal for me is actually body fat and endurance. I'm now looking for an inexpensive way to monitor fat%. Even with that though, the most encouragement will probably come from the mirror ;-)
  • Amberkins23
    Amberkins23 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just saw your post on another page as well. Like others said its most likely water weight. If you are eating enough where you don't feel starved I think you are fine.
  • ignatiusreilly
    ignatiusreilly Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    This is typical. I also lost a lot in the first week or two and then settled into groove. Keep it up!
  • Riley4ever
    Riley4ever Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    This can be a typical pattern for the first couple of weeks and am sure will net out a bit lower from here on in unless you are doing enormous amounts of exercise. I lost 7lbs in 1st week and 3 lbs in 2nd (sticking to cals and just 3-4 miles walking per day), the 1st week was definitely probably a load of water retention. I look to be settling into a pattern of 2-3 lbs per week now; the general view seems to be the slower it comes off, the longer it will stay off so a gentle pendulum rather than any giant yo-yo'ing when maintenance comes along - hopefully! Good luck!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!