Super quick vegetarian recipes

AmyOutOfControl
AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
My husband and I recently became empty nesters and we are struggling with the cooking thing. Apparently, I don’t know how to cook for 1 or 2. To add to the problem, we are both working crazy hours right now. I have a full time & part time job. We have been relying on takeout and restaurants for 6 months and I’ve gained 20 pounds back because of it.

I have been using Hungry Root delivery service for a few weeks now and love the convenient, quick, healthy options. The box will give me 4-5 days of meals.

I am looking for tasty & healthy vegetarian recipes that take 15 minutes or less to prepare. I need to plan for the other 2-3 days the Hungry Root box doesn’t cover. Suggestions?

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    I like platejoy.com they let you customize a meal planner according to your time and tastes.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,589 Member
    Add some thinly sliced cucumber, grated carrot and bean sprouts to this quick recipe to make it a balanced meal.
    https://thewoksoflife.com/2017/09/sesame-noodles/
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,589 Member
    Another very quick dish if you eat eggs. It's the first thing a Chinese kid learns to cook for themselves.
    https://www.chinasichuanfood.com/tomato-noodles-with-fried-egg/
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    edited December 2018
    Put a pot of water on to boil.

Chop a bell pepper, an onion (if it's more onion then you want, either dice the leftover and freeze for the next time you need some onion for cooking or just freeze the rest unchopped for use in making veggie stock), maybe some garlic and a carrot.

Open a can of beans (black beans, chick peas, whatever you like).

Whenever the water comes to a boil, add some pasta (dried or refrigerated fresh) and set a timer).

Add some oil to another pot and Safire the veggies (not the beans). Add beans and some veggie stock or water (not so much as to make it soupy -- more like stew or chili) and throw in a bay leaf, cumin, red pepper, a little chili powder if you like.

Heat beans until pasta is finished and drained. Top pasta with the cooked beans and veggies. Top that with shredded cheese and/or Greek yogurt or sour cream.

*ETA: If you prefer, omit pasta and serve beans with bread, crackers, or over microwaved potatoes.
  • laurenq1991
    laurenq1991 Posts: 384 Member
    edited December 2018
    I made this today for dinner. Crumble a block of tempeh and season with curry spices (really you could use whatever spices you want though). Add some nutritional yeast for extra flavor and nutrition if you want. Cook in a pan with some olive oil and water for about 8 minutes, stirring frequently. In the last couple of minutes of cooking, throw in some torn up pieces of kale and cook down (or add the kale earlier if you want more tender kale). Serve with whole wheat tortillas, and tomato and carrot on the side.

There are a lot of substitutions you could make here. For example you could make pasta (whole wheat pasta is the best) instead of the tortillas. Or you could make another quick-cooking grain like parboiled rice or quinoa. You could use any kind of canned beans instead of the tempeh, which would also be cheaper. You could substitute in any kind of vegetables that cook in 8 minutes or less, like tomatoes, spinach, mushrooms, etc. or even canned tomatoes or something like that.

Also, get some legume pasta -- pasta made from lentils, chickpeas, black beans, etc. Lentil pasta is the best in my opinion, and chickpea pasta has a bit of a weird earthy taste to it but if you're putting sauce on it, you can't tell.

Also, sandwiches like chickpea "chick'n" salad, the chipotle black bean sandwich from here https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/5-more-vegan-sandwiches/ or this bean sandwich: https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/lindas-bean-and-mayonnaise-sandwich-sandwiches-52286
  • dulinh
    dulinh Posts: 99 Member
    Black bean and salsa soup: combine 1 cup salsa, 1.5c vegetable broth, 1t cumin, 2 cans blacks beans (drained) in sauce pan and heat until warm. Use a hand mixer to process. This is my fastest vegetarian recipe for sure - perfect amount for 2 people.

I really love this chickpea curry recipe, it takes a few more minutes but still pretty fast (if you don't have time to cook rice, you can serve with naan, https://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/chickpea-curry/
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Salad with boca spicy chicken chopped up.

Veggie wrap - hummus, lettuce, tomato, avocado with balsamic vinegar frizzed on.

Crockpot chili make a batch and freeze in smaller portions.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Beans in the pressure cooker (instant pot is the brand i use) .
    When cooked, add pepper strips (I buy frozen already cut) and some TVP that was reconstituted with some of the bean broth.

Season to taste. (Today I used oregano, cumin and umami dust powder)

I call these holiday beans!

mh78bz00g4qd.jpeg
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    You can cook the same meals as when your kids were there. You can halve the recipe and/or freeze extra portions for no-prep meals.
  • emlavigne
    emlavigne Posts: 33 Member
    I made this today. Serves 4. Calorie count approximately 390 per serving. Enjoy!

4 cups raw portobello mushrooms, sliced
    1/2 onion, diced
    1 tbsp olive oil
    10 oz. Whole wheat pasta (I used penne)
    1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
    1/4 cup milk

Saute first 3 ingredients on medium heat while pasta is cooking. Don't forget to season with salt/pepper. Then add the last 2 ingredients to the mushroom and onions. Combine with pasta. Done!
  • alicebhsia1
    alicebhsia1 Posts: 82 Member
    i've been eating a lot of three bean salad lately. my boyfriend seems to enjoy it alot too. let me know if you'd like my recipe. very quick to prepare and makes a lot. (it doesn't last long in my house though)