Top 5 Fitness Investments?

Options

Replies

• k2d4p
    k2d4p Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    1. I would say a really good pair of running/workout shoes. I actually need a new pair as I have almost wore my current pair out.
    2. some form of portable entertainment. I love listening to audio books on my itouch when I am working out.
    3. decent workout clothes. I just upgraded to better clothes and I really wish now that I would have done it earlier.

That's all I can think of for now.
  • luv2runsgf
    Options
    Great post - here are mine:
    1. 2 pair of good quality running shoes (so I can rotate); I alternate between Mizunos and Newtons
    2. iphone (and before that an iPod) for music or audiobooks during walks and runs; also have the Nike+ app and RunTracker plus MyFitnessPal apps
    3. Treadmill for days when the weather is too inclement to get outside (excuse remover)
    4. Exercise DVDs (~45) - The Firm and Jackie Warner
    5. Hand weights - I have in 3, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20 and 30 lb varieties (my husband uses the heavier ones more than me)
  • binkybaby1
    binkybaby1 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hello folks.
    Like many, I'm being hit hard by the recession, and I so I want to get the most out of the investments I'm making in my fitness as far as equipment. I'm wondering what everyone thinks are their top 5 fitness investments. It can be anything, a video you think is good, food program, a class/membership to something, anything like that.
    I'll let you guys know that I've already invested in a gym membership, a heart rate monitor, a camelbak, and I own a bicycle.

Here's a list of investments I've been considering investing in:
    1. A trainer
    2. A weighted vest
    3. Kickboxing lessons
    4. Dance lessons
    5. Resistance bands.

I own NONE of the things you posted that you want or have LOL and I've lost 73lbs in one year :D What I did invest in was good running shoes (walking shoes first but now I'm on running shoes), an elliptical machine (about $800 which is a lot but I had a free one from Craigslist before that). Otherwise I walked on the road/sidewalk for the first 50lbs lost.

Oh number one thing for me was a GOOD sports bra, I was a 40DDD when I started and even now I'm a 36DD and the Enell brand bra saves me. It's about $60 and SOOOOO worth it.

I now own weights just some free weights from 5-20lbs, a treadmill (my mom's old one that she wasn't using), the elliptical, good shoes, good running pants.

So my top 5 in order are:

1. Good sports bra
    2. Good shoes for whatever your work out is
    3. Elliptical or treadmill (you can find them cheap used)
    4. Ipod or some music player and some tunes

LOL I guess I only have 4 that I count as super important other than MFP itself!

Definitely a HRM BUT tied for first place..... Great shoes definitely one of my best investments!! I have problems with my feet which has stopped me from daily exercise sometimes... even just going for a walk. I bought a pair of Nike running shoes and OMG what a difference!!! I can now do more than before...I should be in a commercial for Nike I can't stop singing the praise of these shoes... but make the investment right... go to a shoe store that specializes in athletic shoes and try them on... I tried on about 12 pairs (poor sales clerk) but feel in love with these (even got them on sale) and have never looked back!!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Mine is a food scale.
  • B3Streeter
    B3Streeter Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    P90X!!!
    Best thing I have ever done. On Round 2 now!
  • lbeasey
    lbeasey Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    1.) MFP: use it to log your food and be honest, read post by others and be interactive on here
    2.) A good sports bra (I have 2 Enell and they are the best investment so far $68 for 1).
    3.) Good pair of shoes for exercise
    4.) A few workout DVD's or exercise games for a game system ( I have JM 30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30, Insanity and a few games for Wii)
    5.) Time to workout...what good are the products if you don't give yourself the time to workout?
  • cedarhurst2006
    cedarhurst2006 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    You have all the tools already - I say motivate yourself and buy yourself some spiffy new sneakers, strap on the heart rate monitor, hop on the bike or go to the gym. We are very frugal and look in the paper at different fitness programs. We have been able to try a zumba class, a bootcamp and a spinning class all because the first one is free.
  • Summerleahd
    Summerleahd Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    1. Food scale. I didn't realize how much I was over eating till I got one.
    2. HRM
    3. Shoes and good socks.
    4. Great sports bra
    5. Workout DVDs are my guilty pleasure haha

Thats all I need, I get better results then my friend who goes to an expensive gym.
  • Maria_81
    Maria_81 Posts: 152
    Options
    My best investments (so far):

1. MFP (although it is free I still invest my time on this site everyday and it has changed my life)
    2. My treadmill
    3. A HRM
    4. Dumbells
    5. Running sneakers

Adding a 6th
    6. Bootcamp classes. I started going to a workout bootcamp two months ago and it has truly helped me a lot to get back into exercising and I've had amazing results from it.

I have to agree with everything you mentioned, in particular MFP. It has really made me accountable for what I eat.
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    1) Kettlebell Goddess workout dvd
    2) The proper sized kettlebell
    3) A session or two with a RKC certified kettlebell instructor

It will change your life.
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    what a nice thread :) my top 5 investments:

1. heart rate monitor
    2. dumbells
    3. exercise ball (the inflatable kind that works out your core)
    4. gym membership
    5. running shoes/clothing
  • ebert5150
    ebert5150 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    1. Running shoes
    2. Gym membership (If you use it, I do.)
    3. App for smartphone that tracks my runs
    4.Beanie with sweatband (I sweat into my eyes during runs)
    5. MFP
  • alexg94
    alexg94 Posts: 44
    Options
    What recession? Haha it ended 2 years ago.

Anyways, P90X.
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    A free one:

Library Card. So you can read anything and everything you want about fitness, etc. If I really like the book and want it for reference, then I buy it on ebay or amazon. But the library card lets me see if the book is good or not!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    I would say to a client:

Me
    Gym membership
    Good shoes
    Goals list
    Food scale
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Gym membership 4sure!
  • Carlton_Banks
    Carlton_Banks Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    My best investments (so far):

1. Gym membership - being around other people working out and taking Spinning Classes has helped motivate me
    2. MFP (This is my latest investment in time that has been a huge benefit to me since it has helped me get back on track)
    3. Bike & Bike Trainer (Spinervals DVDs - Uphill Grind, and No Slackers Allowed help me burn 800 calories in 45 min. at home)
    4. Garmin FR60 Fitness Watch with HRM, Pedometer, and Speed & Cadence Sensor
    5. Digital Scale & Blood Pressure Monitor (Withings - It's WiFi because I'm too lazy to track this information by hand)
    6. Good Running shoes (two pair Mizuno & Newton)
    7. Oh yeah, and my clip-on Sansa MP3 player and good ear phones

Occasionally for workouts at home ...
    7.Bowflex SelectTech Dumbbells and bench
    8.http://www.bodyrock.tv - Zuzanna has some worthwhile workouts that you can do without expensive equipment at home
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    1. Good shoes
    2. a pair of dumbbells in a weight that is challenging
    3. Jump rope ( only $3, and burns a LOT of calories in a short amount of time.)
    4. A nice water bottle. This has been my best friend before, during, and after working out.
    5. I agree that a good sports bra for women is essential. I wouldn't work out with my girls flopping. I think men can live without them though. :)

Everything else I've bought was something I've given up on. These items, except for the shoes, have been very cheap, and they seem to be very easy to use.

I have done some yoga in the past, but I didn't stick with it, and honestly, once you learn it, you don't need ANY equipment. A yoga mat is nice for gripping the floor, but you can really do a sun salutation without anything at all.
  • naomi6891
    naomi6891 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Defo on the Zumba! Great feel good factor and so much fun. I go with friends 2-3 times a week. Check your local borough council website as there may be cheap classes. I'm lucky enough to have found one that is only £1 per session or £10 for a year's membership!!!!!
  • maryloo2011
    Options
    Since you have a gym membership, I'd say the next best investment would be the personal trainer. That way you could get the MOST out of your membership and they really DO push you harder than you ever thought possible.

Absolutely, if you can swing it get some personal training sessions. I did 7 sessions back in the spring and she really helped me get comfortable with weight and resistance training at the gym (and proper techniques).