Building a body

Options
So i recently lost 40 pounds after having a baby 10 months ago and i have no shape to my body whatsoever went to the gym today couldn't lift more then 10 pounds cried 2 times because how am i so weak 😭 hooow do i start lifting or like getting in shape????

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Small. I started strength-training with resistance tubes and bands and some exercises off a website. Then I switched to dumbbells. I began with 3lbs and 5lbs, buying heavier when I was ready for them.

Today, two years later, I lift 60 (ETA: I mean a pair of 30s). But it's been slow steady progress.

Don't worry about what "everyone" else is lifting. Just work on you.
  • brittanyartist
    brittanyartist Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was in the exact same position as you. Jamie Eason Live Fit program literally changed my life 3 years ago. Download the BodyBuilder app, search for her program and use it to guide and track your daily gym routine. I had no shape, lost all baby weight but still felt terrible about my body. In 9 weeks, I was a changed woman. I had a more defined body than my athletic friends. Let me know if you have any more questions!!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    What lifts did you do? Different lifts require different weights.
  • awnurmarc
    awnurmarc Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Four exercises: Bench Press, Press ("Overhead Press"), Deadlift, Squat. Of these, the squat is the most difficult to "do right" and the debates over what is right are unending.

But your a novice so you could probably gain a lot keeping it simple. While I think barbells are best, you can use dumbbells for the presses for awhile and probably make some quick initial gains. You can also use a "goblet squat" for your initial squat movement (dumbbell held against chest under chin). I think that will serve you well. Your goal will be to get to the point that you can confidently handle a 45-pound barbell. Then go to startingstrength.com and barbellmedicine.com (who both hate each other BTW) and figure out what's next.

With the deadlift, I'd try a real barbell right away. That will change your life. Just get the bar raised to about nine inches of the floor.

Resources:
    https://youtu.be/VGZrATR1O4E
    https://www.progressiverehabandstrength.com/articles/deadlift
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQnTawejagg
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    If the OP is having a hard time lifting 10lbs right now, what makes you think she can lift the 35-40 that a bar with no added weight-plates is going to weigh?
  • awnurmarc
    Options
    BTW, you have no idea how amazing you can be if you start this and keep at it. Strength training is a fountain of youth. Seriously, you're future self will be awesome. You won't just recover... you will far surpass yourself.
  • awnurmarc
    edited January 2019
    Options
    If the OP is having a hard time lifting 10lbs right now, what makes you think she can lift the 35-40 that a bar with no added weight-plates is going to weigh?

She didn't say she tried deadlifting that amount.

(I'm pretty confident she can pick more than ten pounds off the floor and stand up with it. For the other lifts, I suggested dumbbells to get strong enough to use a barbell.)