Looking for friends & anyone doing dry January

Options
Happy New Year! Anyone doing Dry January or cutting down on alcohol as part of the health kick? Feel free to add me as a friend!

As well as kicking off the year with the determination to lose a minimum 40lbs, I've taken the leap to go the month without alcohol - which is something that I probably haven't done since I was 16 (I'm now 27)... so I'm apprehensive but motivated!

2018 was literally a year of imprinting myself on the sofa, comfort eating and being far too reliant on alcohol following the death of my boyfriend. I'm now the heaviest that I've ever been and ready to slap myself out of binging on food and drink.

If anyone wants to add me then that would be wonderful - I'm keen to gather friends who are honest & regular users of MFP to act as accountability buds.

Peace out, Lauren :)

Replies

• JackieWalks
    JackieWalks Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Friend me! I’ve gained 30 this year so I know what you’re dealing with on that front.
  • Johndu76
    Johndu76 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hello, happy to add anyone :)
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Dry January as well. Since committing to losing weight in 2014 I have significantly cut back on my drinking. I now only drink on the weekends and even that is one day and maybe a glass or 2 of wine. I'm doing Dry January to challenge myself that I can go longer than 30 days (without being pregnant) and maybe longer :) Feel free to send FR.
  • jlmarciniak
    jlmarciniak Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've gained 30 lbs too this year. I will send you a request. I have committed to a dry January, too.
  • Xio_Vik
    Xio_Vik Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Gained 15lbs this year so I'm looking forward to other people with similar weight loss goals.
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    So sorry about your boyfriend. I am in for Dry January. All of my weight gain is alcohol related, I have the food thing under control. So I am cutting alcohol and starting to exercise again. I need to lose 30 lbs before my birthday in April and a trip to Costa Rica.
  • meekerdeeker
    meekerdeeker Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think most of my.weight gain is wine related 😭 doing dry Jan too,to see if it helps. Like you I haven't had many months off since I was in my early 20s. I'm now 43 and a stone heavier. I don't know how to add friends on here :blush:
  • laurenthecarts
    laurenthecarts Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Aaahh loving all the comments! Thanks for the adds guys!

I'm hoping that the huge change to my lifestyle will mean 20lbs will vanish within the first couple weeks (too optimistic...?) but we shall see! It's definitely gonna count to something fingers crossed! I'm also a constant grazer when I'm hungover - so that's double motivation to cut down on the drinking in the months to come o:)
  • ktsherman77
    ktsherman77 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I will be partaking in Dry January as well.
  • kmgroeneweg131
    kmgroeneweg131 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I am not a big drinker to start, but plan on trying to abstain completely this month, and maybe even beyond. Might be a challenge since January is also my birthday month so we'll see how things go! All are welcome to send me a FR - I love the extra motivation!
  • KaylaMack013
    KaylaMack013 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I’m doing the dry January as well! I usually only drink on weekends or social events so this will be a change for me. Time to get out of that comfort zone.

Always looking for new friends!
  • Rich71bat
    Rich71bat Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I’m doing dry January too. Anyone feel free to add me
  • LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    This is my third year doing Dry January! December is always brutal for me because I take vacation the last three weeks and my liver gets a daily workout! Usually the first week of Dry January is tough...especially the first weekend...but it’s worth it. Getting ready to drink some Sleepytime tea in front of the fire right now...usually it would be a nice Cab!
  • HeatherScottTN
    HeatherScottTN Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm getting back to this after gaining more than ever... slow and steady... let's do this!
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are doing dry January. Time to get healthy!
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    My neighbour and I decided to do no wine weekdays for January. Good luck to all cutting back!!
  • hinokio61
    hinokio61 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Definitely! My workplace distributes free beer on Fridays, which I may have partaken in a few too many times last year. Happy to be on board for Dry January with you!
  • meekerdeeker
    meekerdeeker Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    How is every body coping with DJ so far? Is there a chat group? New.to this x
  • cathipa
    Options
    I'm good on day 3 but it's the weekends that will get me.
  • cathipa
    Options
    Today starts day 4. Last night could have made today day 1, but I resisited. Frustrations typically lead me to drink a glass to unwind, but I have decided to do this and I'm not going to let a minor issue derail me 😊 Happy 4th day everyone!