Vegans.

Options
So I’m only doing this for a month, just to detox my body and empty my intestines of all this meat. Before this, I was doing extremely low carb and I lost a ton of weight doing that. My question is, how do I get more protein in my diet besides avocado? Also, how do I pack more calories in? Im almost at 600, already full and kind of don’t want to eat. I had oatmeal with almond milk for breakfast. Made a stir fry with plenty of veggies for lunch and dinner. Been snacking on black berries, blue berries and strawberries. What can I add to make my days more healthy? I’m kind of lost here lol

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Instead of these restrictive diets that you are not sticking to how about just eat the foods you enjoy but in smaller amounts so that what you eat is less than what you burn in a day? Many people have success doing it that way. Going on diets that you will not stick to long-term however, is something very, very few have success with.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't need to detox from anything. Your liver and kidneys handle that just fine. And meat doesn't hang around in your intestines. That being said, the main vegan protein sources are protein, tofu seitan, tempeh, beans, peas, lentils, quinoa, and whole grains. Never really thought of avocado as a protein source so much as a fat source.

Sorry! Mistyped.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Avocados aren't really a top choice for protein...it's a great source of healthy dietary fat. tofu, seitan, beans, lentils tempeh, etc are typical vegan protein choices. Good cooking oils, nuts, etc to up your fat and calories.

As has been mentioned, this doesn't detox anything and meat doesn't hang around in your intestines.
  • ApeDog39
    ApeDog39 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My breakfast this morning, Veggie omlete
  • troelsandtheis
    troelsandtheis Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You can buy nutrional yeast flakes which add a bit of protein to meals. I like them sprinkled on soup but you can mix them in with most dishes. Learn how to make a good tofu meal you love. I know its a hit or miss food. I don't struggle to get protein as vegan but I do like to make sure I have plenty to fill me up so I tend to have vegan protein shake for breakfast so I don't have to worry about what my other meals are protein-wise. The coffee and walnut one by Puriton is my favourite with half a banana, I at milk and some carob or cocoa nibs to being out the flavour.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    ApeDog39 wrote: »
    Hello I just started day two I'm a vegan for a month I want to shock my body. So tell me what works for you? What foods are you eating and tips please.

What are you hoping to accomplish by going vegan for a month? The body does not need to be "shocked" unless we are discussing a need for things like defibrillators or pacemakers. If you have specific health or fitness related goals that you would like advice about, I would recommend starting a new thread and telling us exactly what your goals are.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    The only reason a body would need to be detoxed is due to issues like lead or radiation poisoning, which are medical emergencies that require medical professionals.

If your body needs to be shocked, it is also a medical emergency that require medical professionals.

Furthermore, we are not cars and do not need to be jump-started.

Just start developing healthy habits today.

Ps - I've taken a few people to a "detox" facility for drug or alcohol abuse. Again, requires medical intervention.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    So as others have covered, detoxing, shocking, etc., not necessary, not even really things that apply to food changes.

That said, if you are interested in eating less meat/animal products or are motivated to try a vegan challenge for a mix of reasons, there's nothing wrong with it. But it can be a challenging way to eat, especially if you don't have that ethical motivation (in which case I'd call it plant-based), so changing so dramatically can be really hard.

Plant-based sources of protein are beans and lentils and peas, soy products (like tofu and tempeh), and then to a lesser degree whole grains and non starchy veg. Potatoes have some, not a lot. Nuts and seeds have some but are more of a fat source. Fruit has very little, and avocado doesn't have much either.

You would want to mix a variety of sources to get enough (especially if you choose not to use a supplement like a protein powder), and focus on adding some to all meals.

Looking at your day, some thoughts:

Oatmeal with almond milk -- soy milk has more protein or maybe pea milk, and I'd add some seeds and berries or nut butter too. (That will help with calories.) Oats vary in how much protein they have, try to find a higher protein option or think about doing mixed grains (you can add something like quinoa if you like it, although it's a bit overrated in how much protein it has). Oats is a good venue for a protein powder too.

Stir fry with plenty of veggies for lunch and dinner -- could get boring, which could affect your desire to eat enough. I'd say vary the veg a lot, and eat a lot of them, they will contribute some protein. Making one of these a stir fry with tofu and the other into a bean or lentil based dish with veg (and maybe some other kind of grain, I'm assuming you are eating rice with the stir fry) could help.

You can add seeds to the stirfry too, or some kind of nut, and if you cook with oil don't forget to log that.

Been snacking on black berries, blue berries and strawberries. If you want more cals, higher cal fruits or nuts and seeds or avocado. If you want more protein, nuts and seeds and non starchy veg (if you aren't getting too full). Edamame too. Hummus or roasted chickpeas.

Supplementing Omega-3 (or just DHA/EPA) and B12 is a good idea, and IMO D (but I should supplement D and always forget).

I actually don't think people should just jump into 100% plant-based, though, without some experience with vegetarianism or just being strongly motivated by ethics and doing some reading. But I do get wanting to try different ways of eating.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Omlette with eggs?
    Not vegan but it is vegetarian

I've made omelettes by blending tofu, no eggs required.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options

Omlette with eggs?
    Not vegan but it is vegetarian

I've made omelettes by blending tofu, no eggs required.

Speaking of which, they used to serve tofu scramble at the Kripalu Center for Yoga & Health. My ex actually liked it.

http://www.nasoya.com/healthy-tofu-recipes/tofu-scramble/