Recent binging

Options
I know it's the "holiday season"; I've been binging on food like: cake, chocolate, bread, every other day since Christmas -- including today.
I'd like to start eating normally again, but now that I've started to eat sugary/ high fat foods again, I'm starting to get hooked.
My willpower isn't very strong.
Any tips on how I can stop this?

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,491 Member
    Options
    You keep a food diary? If not, start one. If you eat something log it. Never deviate from that practice. If your brain starts trying to talk you out of logging something in tell your brain to shut up.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Many of us have problems around December. A few years ago I was in maintenance and just kind of stopped logging, loved eating and not logging, and gained the 25# I’d lost over a year, back.

Back down to goal weight now, rather than going crazy logging over the holidays I “allow” myself to gain 6# back, and then it’s back to logging. I start at Halloween but try to keep logging well into December. It’s the way I do maintenance. I hope to get it to only a 3# gain next year, as I’m short.

How do I get back into it? I just do, because it’s a lot quicker and healthier to only have 6# to lose, versus 25#.
  • AnnabellaxRinger
    AnnabellaxRinger Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I've read somewhere that when your body is dehydrated it also craves sweet foods, so try to drink water or other low-calorie/zero-calorie drinks to stave off that craving.

Another thing I read too (I'm a sweets person myself!) was that having a sweet in the morning helps to curb some of your cravings throughout the day, so that's worth a try.

Also - I've tried changing my sweets to something like yogurt or fruit, where I'm still getting that sweet taste without all the extra calories.

If you can hold out for about 3-5 days of clean(er) eating with sweets, you'll notice that the cravings start to subside. You can do this!