Perimenopause and aging

Options
I am interested in mutual encouragement from other women who are working on losing or maintaining a reasonable weight while dealing with "that time of life." It seems like around 2 years ago I just started being extra hungry all the time. In the past, I had noticed that a lot of women gained a lot at "certain ages." I'm 50 now and have lost some weight that I gained as a result of that, but motivation is somewhat affected by the overall effects of aging. I wasn't worried about it when I was 30-40, when I heard so many other women moaning. However, now it is painfully clear that no matter how hard I try, I will not be a young, pretty thing. Skin turgor is decreasing and certain places are "baggy" in spite of an active lifestyle (I'm training for a sprint triathlon that my husband and I will be in in a week...) I have been able to deal with being hungry to lose weight after 7 pregnancies, but with current hormonal fluctuations it seems like I will have to be quite hungry for the rest of my life! That's harder. Maybe someone else will just be encouraged by reading this and knowing THEY aren't the only one either.

Replies

• dizidaisy
    Options
    Hi - I'm 48 and I've been having the perimenopause for at least 4yrs already! It's played havoc with my dieting and I take much longer to lose weight now than ever before - after the age of 40 I learned why 'middle age spread' is such a Cliche - because it's so true - truer than I could of ever imagined!!! I gained a full on 9 month pregnancy belly over the last 8yrs - BUT there is light at the end of the tunnel - I'm now almost 50lbs lighter (my weight ticker is not correct!) and about a million times happier :) I still struggle and I still have a tyre to deal with... but now it's a much deflated tyre :)
  • fmramey
    fmramey Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm with you in in that area of feeling hungry. I attribute the hunger to decades worth of activity and needing energy to maintain a certain level of activity.. It is very difficult to balance fuel with need, especially if you are NOT sedentary. I am actually habituated to eating more than I actually need at this point in my life. However, I have always had difficulty keeping fit and keeping extra weight to a minimum. I'm thinking and planning a way to re-learn what my body needs. For awhile at least, I believe that I will feel hungry or needful of something to satisfy a craving. I think that my brain will adjust. I like using this MFP tool because it helps me to see REALLY what I consume since I am forced to count portions.
    I can't stop my skin from losing turgor; in my mind I am still very young. Aging is changing many things about me. I haven't been realistic about some of the effects of aging, ie,; I can't eat like a thirty-year old anymore.
    Good for you that you are able to continue being very active!!
  • fmramey
    fmramey Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Cheers to happier and healthier!!
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Hey, I just learned about the Search function :tongue: and I am also interested in finding a group of perimenopausal or menopausal women who have the same troubles and who may have found some solutions… or who can at least lend encouragement! I'm 48 (close to 49) and have gained 20 lbs in the last couple of years. I won't blame ALL of it on hormones, but I definitely feel that it is a part of it… and a part of why it's such a struggle to lose weight. I've talked with both my GYN and GP doctors and they have both given me the hard facts. #1 Perimenopausal/Menopausal women on average gain 10 lbs of weight, around the stomach area in particular. #2 Hormones running amuck mess with your metabolism and the ability to lose weight effectively.

So, after my annual exam and the review of where I stand on the BMI scale and my CBC results (the wrong numbers creeping upward), I decided to give a head-on full effort to losing the weight… hormones be dam**d! I started 5 weeks ago and while searching for a phone app to help me track calories, I landed here! It started out better than I expected, and I've lost 8 lbs. BUT, this past week has been a real let-down. Food-wise I had a really good week… my best week yet at staying at or under my caloric goal. It was a busy week, so I didn't exercise as much as I'd like, but what I did I put in full effort. I was actually excited about my weigh-in (this morning).

Then, I stepped on the scale and… nothing. It read the EXACT same weight as last week. I know, I know that I shouldn't be totally bummed… but I am. I've been having hot flashes - and other physical symptoms - more this week, so I'm wondering if my body is trying to push another monthly on me :smile: and that I might be retaining water.

Long story… but 1 - anybody know of any such groups? and 2 - anybody else have the same thing happen?