Food addiction - link with mental health, how do I break the cycle?

I am looking for anyone here who feels they have a genuine food addiction. Possibly an eating disorder, linked to over eating. I'm 5'2 and weight approx 210 pounds. The last 7 years I have battled with mental illness, trying to diet and over eating. I use the my fitness pal tracker daily, do really well and then when it comes to the quieter times at night I over eat. I have a problem with using food to stop my sadness. I don't drink, smoke or do drugs, so feel like I use food as a vice. Anyone else who does this and ways to combat it? It genuinely feels like a mental struggle. Also I tried not having the food in the flat, and I always end up going out to get it.

Replies

• kt90gurl
    kt90gurl Posts: 37 Member
    edited January 2019
    I eat healthily and moderately, but then when I binge. I REALLY binge. Like I'll eat 5 Choc bars in a row. Or 5 bags of crisps. When I am doing it, I know it's wrong and I should stop, but it's like I have no control. Of course I have spoken to my doctor about it and they put me on anti depressants, which helped but I had to come off them because of all the other side effects.
  • kt90gurl
    Thank you so much for your post. I had not tried yoga, meditation or a journal before, so they seem like great ideas :) I also have a history of trauma and abuse, and you are right, food is an escape, but I don't want to use it as an escape anymore.
  • leiflung
    leiflung Posts: 83 Member
    You are so welcome.

You can find peace and ease. It's work but it can be done. And you are worth it 💝
  • helene4
    helene4 Posts: 120 Member
    I had to get a therapist (one I liked, trusted And felt safe around)

There was no way I could stop punishing myself with food and hating myself for no good reason
    On my own
    It’s too much for me

I needed help, and when I asked for it
    it changed everything for the better

Good luck
    There is a solution!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    have you tried any talking therapy?
  • Lutielu
    Lutielu Posts: 188 Member
    Yoga seems to be working for me. Not just the physical aspect but the mental as well. When I slow down to actually think about the why and then acknowledge that it’s okay to feel that way. Seems to help me work through it.
    Just remember there’s no magic fix to changing a mindset. You’re going to stumble but that’s okay too because you are human. :)
  • kt90gurl
    It is such a long waiting list in the UK for therapy on the NHS I am still on the waiting list and it's been 6 months. I know someone who had to wait 1 year and 2 months :( I cannot afford to go private
  • whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,233 Member
    kt90gurl wrote: »
    It is such a long waiting list in the UK for therapy on the NHS I am still on the waiting list and it's been 6 months. I know someone who had to wait 1 year and 2 months :( I cannot afford to go private

Are there any groups like Overeaters Anonymous in the UK that you might look into for support until you can meet with a therapist? Or perhaps a faith-based group that meets for weight loss support? (Even if you're not religious/a member of the church, you might be welcome.)

Good luck. I hope you find some peace.