am i making a mistake?

Options
I've recently changed up my workout regimen and am not sure if i made the right choice.

My old workouts consisted of running 5k 3 times a week and light weights (with jillian michaels) twice a week.
I've been interested in lifting heavier based on everything i read on this site so i decided to go with m&s full body dumbell routine (one of the choices in the pinned post) since i only have adjustable dumbells. i have done 2 weeks so far and started with the dumbells on 25 lbs. i am really really sore but thats to be expected. my questions are as follows:

1. this routine is really designed for men and i am particularly sore in the back/shoulders/arms. while i do like muscle on a women, that is not really my goal. while i would like to get stronger and look muscular, my priority right now is weight loss (20 lbs). i am doing my best to eat at a deficit in order to make that happen. so far, no loss. Is this the wrong program for me?
2. this program calls for 3 workouts a week, which means i have to give up one running workout in order to fit this in. (i need 2 days off a week.). Considering that my goal is weight loss primarily, is this not a good idea? would i be better off running 3 days and doing this workout 2 times instead of 3?

thanks to anyone who takes the time to help.

Replies

• meritage5
    meritage5 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    and if you are running 5 k it is ok to do a run and weights on same day. Or run in am and lift in evening or whatever.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    1. There's no such thing as a program for men or a program for women, even if it says that in the title. Both sexes can do the same exercises and do so all the time. As already mentioned, though, it sounds like you may need to drop the weight on some exercises. In general, you're going to use different weights for every exercise.
    2. Weight loss is dependent on your calorie deficit, not the form of exercise you do.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    meritage5 wrote: »
    and if you are running 5 k it is ok to do a run and weights on same day. Or run in am and lift in evening or whatever.

You may do better posting your own thread with this question.
    Or are you the same poster using two accounts?

Depending on how long you have been training you may find that you can do both.
    If you are new to both or either, I wouldn’t advise it.

The problem I have found with trying to do a full cardio workout and a full lifting programme in the same day is that I do neither as well as I could if I alternated them, I have no energy to enjoy the rest of the day, I burn out fast, and I am more prone to injuries.
    YMMV.

Cheers, h.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,430 Member
    Options
    +1 to middlehaitch as usual, plus this:

If you're only two weeks into the new program, and are still pretty sore (not injured, but DOMS), then you may well still be in a realm where water retention for muscle repair is masking weight loss, assuming you're shooting for the slow rate of loss that would be appropriate when you only have 20 pounds to lose. Two weeks is a little short for that effect to sort itself out, IME.

She had some good sugestions on the timing questions. Unless you're really unhappy, I'd consider sticking with your current routine or one of those suggested variations for 4-6 weeks before you decide it isn't working.
  • dydn11402
    dydn11402 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    the poster who suggested to lift and run on the same day was not me. theoretically, that sounds great but i am limited on time so i dont think that would work. maybe a shortened run if i could fit it in.

as far as the suggestion to drop weight...
    the first week, i used my old 12 lb dumbells to learn the exercises and get the form down. the next week i went to 25 lbs bec i followed the guidelines that were written. it said that you should be able to lift 8-12 reps, 3 sets. i am easily able to lift 12 reps and it gets harder in the last set but i always make it to at least 10 reps in the third set. for some of the exercises, i think i can go heavier but wanted to give myself a chance. i am really sore bec i guess i havent really worked these muscles that much before.

i have absolutely no idea what is "typical" and kind of picked 25 randomly just to see how it would feel. for what its worth, i have always been naturally strong and athletic. i am really new to this so any lifting tips are appreciated.
  • dydn11402
    dydn11402 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    also, i have no idea if this is connected or just a coincidence, but my tuesday run (i run sunday, lift monday) was absolutely terrible. like no energy at all. im hoping that was just an off day.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,430 Member
    Options
    dydn11402 wrote: »
    also, i have no idea if this is connected or just a coincidence, but my tuesday run (i run sunday, lift monday) was absolutely terrible. like no energy at all. im hoping that was just an off day.

It could be a coincidence. However, it wouldn't be irrational to expect a period of adaptation when adding new exercise volume. The short term effects are not the same as the long term effects. Patience applies!

I hope you're fueling the new exercise load adequately, i.e., not targeting a very aggressive weight loss rate at the same time? With only 20 pounds to lose, and new exercise, 0.5lb/week loss would be a pretty sensible maximum, IMO.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    @dydn11402, thanks for clarifying that it wasn’t you. These things happen more than you would expect. A password is lost, then found, and all of a sudden we get one person with two names in the same thread.

Just read through the routine.
    You are doing fine.

As @AnnPT77 said, you are retaining water/glycogen for muscle repair, this is hiding loss but will even out in a couple of weeks.

If you continue to feel low energy on your run after a lifting day, or the opposite, revisit your fuelling. Eating back the appropriate calories is so important for good performance, and avoidance of burn out or injury.

Make sure you get a rest day each week.

Cheers, h.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I’ve done that pretty gram - if you jumped from light weights to 25lbs - you likely overdid it - there are only a few exercises in that where I can do 25lbs and good form