Need some help with food

Options
Hi Everyone:

I need help figuring out what type of foods are good to start eating. I know chicken and fish are good, but I am looking for like breakfast bars, lunch, etc.

Can anyone help me?

Replies

• PalmettoparkGuy
    PalmettoparkGuy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal, green vegetables, beans. Stay away from artificial sweeteners.
  • bhagavatilad1
    Options
    do a fresh breakfast instead. eg. eggs on toast
  • richardw106
    Options
    Eat fresh, stay away from processed foods as much as possible.
    There is power in vegetables :-)

I drink Shakeology daily http://Shakeology.RichFitSuccess.com

Really, that is about it... Just eat clean and try to keep it well-balanced.
  • Teeladog
    Teeladog Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Yogurt (regular or Greek - Greek has more protein)
    vegetables - I am a big fan of squash, zucchini, tomatoes, carrots, peppers of all sorts
    Fruit - once or twice a day
    nuts (plain - not roasted or covered in all sorts of flavors)

Honestly, I still eat a lot of the stuff I did before (beef, peanut butter, cheese) just not nearly as much of it. The key is to get away from processed stuff and make your own meals for the most part. I won't say that I never eat processed foods (hello? I eat Trader Joe's vegetable samosas a couple of times a week for lunch) but I am just a lot more careful about what food is allowed in the house. And, more importantly, how much of it I am allowed to eat on any given day.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I find that if I make an omelet in the evening for the next morning, it's just as yummy in the morning after microwaving it and takes no time in the morning!
    If you're going to go for breakfast bars, check that it's not too high in carbs or if it is high in carbs, include some protein (you should include protein anyways).

Homemade tuna salad is yummy.. just don't use much mayo. I substitute plain balkan style yogurt (not the sweet stuff) for the mayo and it's much lighter that way.

Mixed bean salad.. rinse and drain a can (fresh is better but I don't have time to soak and cook beans or maybe I'm lazy hehe) of beans, mix in a tablespoon of olive oil and vinegar (I use balsamic), chop up a tomato and throw that in, some parsley, salt and pepper, other herbs/spices if you wish, and it's very yummy!

Fresh vegetables and fruits are really good and healthy. Veggies you can saute, steam, grill, or eat fresh. You can also throw them into meat stews.

Make as much of your own food as possible, from fresh ingredients! :)
  • tamdee43
    tamdee43 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    1 slice of Ezekiel bread toasted, with Smuckers reduced fat peanut butter spread on it, and 1 boiled egg "white only".. no yolk, with 8 oz of skim milk is a great breakfast to start the day.
    I only eat "Low Glycemic" foods. Basically cut your "white foods". No white sugar, No white breads, No white potatoes, No white flour or anything made with white flour. If I have to have ANY sugar, I use Splenda. I only eat Ezekiel bread, and only sweet potatoes. Low Glycemic eating will help greatly if you are borderline diabetic, It can prevent diabetes from developing. Thats the main reason I do it. It runs in my family and I dont want to get it. Amazon.com has great books on Low Glycemic eating.
  • ConnieSG
    ConnieSG Posts: 376
    Options
    Do any of you recommend frozen vegatables and then steam them?
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Frozen veggies and berries are fine. If they're frozen soon after picking, they're fresher and retain more nutrients than non-frozen produce that has to be shipped a long way.
    I also agree with tamdee - low glycemic foods are really good.