Do you customize or go with recommended nutritional guidelin

Options
bc2061
bc2061 Posts: 24 Member
Just curious who of you have customized your nutrional goals vs going with MFP's recommended. I once read someone here was changing to 30% carbs because of a nutrionist's recommendation- anyone else doing something custom? I personally have increased my fiber from 13g to 25g per day.

Replies

• thedodgeruk
    thedodgeruk Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    can some one tell me were i can change these settings
  • richardw106
    Options
    I am starting P90x Plus ( http://bit.ly/dK6k9h ) tomorrow and am following the nutritional guidelines of that program, so, I have adjusted my settings accordingly.
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I keep my sodium capped at 2000 and cholesterol at 250 to encourage me to keep these as low as possible (due to high blood pressure). I also tweak my nutritional percentages to match a more medically defined optimum (50/25/25 for carbs, fats, and proteins).
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    i changed mine, 30% fat, 40% protein and 30% carbs.
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options

When you select the change goals option, select the custom radio button.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options

go to My Home and click Goals and then click change settings and select the custom setting.
  • kristarablue
    Options
    I always customize, the protein set at 15% which is crazy low and carbs are very high. Ultimately you have to do what is good for you, but I do 40 protein/30 carbs/ 30 fat

Good Luck
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I customized after I learned what my specific needs were. I read up and experimented a bit with my body's response to different macro percentages. Some people will tell you it doesn't matter, that it's cals in cals out - but it really does matter for feeling your best. Everyone's body has different requirements.

Best wishes! :flowerforyou:
  • bhagavatilad1
    Options
    I would customize. The beauty about this tool is that you can eat anything. The recommendations are based on on your personal weight.
  • RainyDayKelli
    RainyDayKelli Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I do the recommended to figure out what my calorie intake should be, then I go into customize and adjust my carbs, fat and sodium. I'm trying to go low(er) carb, so I change that to around 150 and sodium is something I really have a problem with, so I bump it down to 1500.
  • fmramey
    fmramey Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    30% carbs sounds like Atkins Diet. I read the book (Atkins Diet) ten or fifteen years ago and I knew right away that I couldn't follow it strictly because it just didn't seem like a good idea to deprive myself of vegetables and fruit, even for a limited time. I modified it to fit my needs. I got rid of carbs that didn't serve a purpose or that were not delicious enough to mess my diet up for. I eliminated bread and pastry and candy, except on Fridays. On Fridays I allowed myself to eat whatever I wanted.
    You will lose weight very quickly if you restrict yourself to 30% carbs/day. If you only like fish and meat and cheese in the first place you may not miss the veggies. If Veggies and fruit are important to you consider modifying by simply removing selected carb sources from your diet.
  • momcindy
    momcindy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    As someone who is pre-diabetic, the default carbs were outrageously high for me so I reset it and shoot for 20-25% carbs I don't worry too much about the fats and protein at this point since my main concern is staying in my carb range.
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I custom mine for more protein. I am set at 40% carb/30% protein/30% fat.
  • PokenStick
    PokenStick Posts: 204
    Options
    The default values have too much carbs and not enough protein.