Struggling with too much exercise?

Options

Replies

• jmath0303
    jmath0303 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Go4health9 wrote: »
    Are you sure that is all correct? It seems WAY off and extremely unhealthy.

Yes it should be very close to being correct. I've had a Fitbit for almost two years and just upgraded to the versa black Friday
  • Go4health9
    Go4health9 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    jmath0303 wrote: »

Yes it should be very close to being correct. I've had a Fitbit for almost two years and just upgraded to the versa black Friday

I’m sorry but there is absolutely no way you can maintain with consuming 2000 per day and burn roughly 4000+ a day.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options

I’m sorry but there is absolutely no way you can maintain with consuming 2000 per day and burn roughly 4000+ a day.

Yeah, I agree, something doesn't make sense here. No way a guy bigger than me who does more exercise maintains on less than me and I've been maintaining years...
  • jmath0303
    Options
    So what do you guys recommend? Do you agree with GottaburnEmAll b and cut down on everything?
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Cut down on the training. Instead of running everyday do it few times a week. Instead of 15-20 miles just do 5-10 miles. Adjust your diet by a bit. More in due course if needed.

Everyone body reacts differently. This is where trial and error kicks in. Do that for a a week or two. If it needs tweeking, adjust your calories. On odd good days you can run extra.

No one can jus tell you do this exactly. You need to record your weight and compare from your previous weigh in.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Do you walk 15-20m as part of your job?

Honestly 5’3”; 158 and I maintain on close to 2800 - so something is up with your logging/counting - I don’t know how you have any energy to function with that much walking and only 2000 cal
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    So what do you guys recommend? Do you agree with GottaburnEmAll b and cut down on everything?

You haven't answered the question as to your logging accuracy.

Are you using a food scale? Are you verifying data base entries? Are you recording everything you eat? Do you ever binge? If you binge, do you log them?

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

Something is wrong. Please change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • jmath0303
    Options

Are you using a food scale? Are you verifying data base entries? Are you recording everything you eat? Do you ever binge? If you binge, do you log them?

Yes I log everything and use a did scale. After a few days of eating everything that mfp tells me to eat I've gained about 7 pounds. Thinking about cutting back
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    At this point, I highly suspect, if your calorie counting is correct, that you have issues with adaptive thermogenesis and cortisol.

I walk a lot pretty much every day to help my arthritis and my depression and anxiety, but still fall shy of where you're at. Saying that, I do take breaks where I sprinkle in lower activity days here and there and higher calorie days to give my hormones a break.

Please read the first post of this thread and consider pulling back on your steps to at least half of what you're doing now and incrementally upping your calories. The scale might go up due to increasing glycogen stores and more food in transit in your system, but that should even out over time. Give things a good six weeks. EAT WHAT YOUR FITBIT GIVES YOU as total calories burned, less about 4% or so (Fitbit tends to overestimate burns a bit once you get into the realm of higher step counts). Use a weight trending app to track your weight and smooth out fluctuations and don't worry about anything until 6 weeks or so of data has been collected.

After six weeks, you can re-evalate until you find maintenance level with healthier habits.

OP, have you looked at the thread linked here?
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    switch to weights/resistance training. Keeping your muscle mass is more important than the cardio as you age. You may also want to try water walking/calisthenics, because water is 1000 times denser than air you can do the same "burn" in less time. It is also much easier on the body and many swimming pools have hot tubs or sauna/steam room to relax you when you are finished your workout.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Honestly OP, it sounds like there is something off with your logging. I appreciate that you're saying that you're logging everything correctly, but sometimes it can be difficult to see where you might be making small errors that can cause big discrepancies in your logging. Please can you open your diary so that we can have a look over it. Maybe some fresh eyes can help see where you're going wrong.
  • jmath0303
    Options

Yes I log everything and use a did scale. After a few days of eating everything that mfp tells me to eat I've gained about 7 pounds. Thinking about cutting back

There is a possible intersection of several things happening here.

1. Please open your diary, it will be helpful to see if something is off from one end of things.
    2. YES, if you have been seriously under-eating for a long time, the scale will go up when you start to refeed. This is replenishment of glycogen and more food in your digestive system. It will settle down in a week or two. I mentioned that in my original post to you.
    3. Did we mention to open your diary?

Opened. I'm a very picky eater so I only eat a few different things. Over the past week I'm up 8 pounds. My pants fit a lot tighter. I'm not sure how 8 pounds is even possible, I mean 8*3500=28,000 calories over maintenance. There's no way lol. I'm still walking a lot and doing a full body dumbbell routine 3 times a week. Guess I'll be cutting calories back down
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

1. Please open your diary, it will be helpful to see if something is off from one end of things.
    2. YES, if you have been seriously under-eating for a long time, the scale will go up when you start to refeed. This is replenishment of glycogen and more food in your digestive system. It will settle down in a week or two. I mentioned that in my original post to you.

Opened. I'm a very picky eater so I only eat a few different things. Over the past week I'm up 8 pounds. My pants fit a lot tighter. I'm not sure how 8 pounds is even possible, I mean 8*3500=28,000 calories over maintenance. There's no way lol. I'm still walking a lot and doing a full body dumbbell routine 3 times a week. Guess I'll be cutting calories back down

As you are saying you know it's not fat gain from a massive calorie surplus then don't react to it.
    I can gain 5lbs in a day from a salty meal.

Your diary still isn't public.
  • jmath0303
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

As you are saying you know it's not fat gain from a massive calorie surplus then don't react to it.
    I can gain 5lbs in a day from a salty meal.

Your diary still isn't public.

It says it is lol
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Can see it now.
    Have you thought of disconnecting your Fitbit to eliminate one source of error?

FYI - At 150lbs 20 miles of walking would be in the region of 900 net calories.

(150 x 20 x efficiency ratio of 0.3)
  • jmath0303
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Can see it now.
    Have you thought of disconnecting your Fitbit to eliminate one source of error?

FYI - At 150lbs 20 miles of walking would be in the region of 900 net calories.

(150 x 20 x efficiency ratio of 0.3)

Hmm no I haven't considered that. Maybe that's the issue. I only recently upped my calories. I was eating around 2000 a day and still wasn't losing but was starving. Now it seems like I've done a lot of damage. I'm considering a fat burner to help suppress appetite
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Hi @imath0303, finally had a chance to look through your diary and well ... honestly I cannot see how you're burning so much from exercise. Yesterday you got 2,103kcals for exercise, 3,652kcals the day before and 3,172kcals the day before that. What are you doing to get those kind of numbers? I know it's calorie adjustment from fitbit, but just doing 20miles walking wouldn't even be close to that kind of burn. Personally I don't sync my fitbit steps to MFP because the adjustments just didn't seem to make any sense for me (like 500 extra calories for 3000steps). Just out of interest, when you go onto the fitbit app, what does it say your daily burn is? (on the desktop app you can find out your 28day average burn also, I find this much more helpful than relying on MFP calorie adjustment)

I appreciate that you're not always eating all of those calories back but in the last 7 days, on average you're eating 3284kcals per day. TDEE calculators put you at about 2,887kcals to maintain with a very active activity level. Of course, as you have a fitbit, you can have a vague idea as to how accurate that TDEE value is (which is why I asked before).

Also, bit of an aside, but have you considered increasing your protein levels? Currently you're averaging around 20% which is fine, but as you're doing a lot of exercise, especially endurance work, you may well benefit from a higher protein intake. Another benefit is that many people find protein filling, so this might help with your satiety on a slightly lower calorie level. Try bumping it up to around 30% and see how it goes.