Strength training after a shoulder dislocation?

Options
It's been about 8 months since I dislocated my shoulder and I have been cleared by my doctor to restart normal activity again but for some reason I am really afraid to start strength training despite knowing it will actually probably help me prevent further injury if done right and will help me lose the weight faster. Thing is I have no money for a gym or trainer and no idea where to start. I do have an old weight set my hubby has but that's about it

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    What were you doing before the injury? You say you've been cleared to RESTART your activity. Pick up you prior activity at an absurdly light weight and increase as you can. Starting light, really light, should help prevent injury. Should it not feel right, stop, rest and start lower. Should you feel pain, lower your weight and restart. An empty bar, a five pound dumbbell, a one pound can of anything may also work well. Start light and progress.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I was doing nothing at all before
  • meeper123
    Options
    Ok that's a fantastic idea ty
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    meeper123 wrote: »
    I was doing nothing at all before

Oh, I misunderstood restart normal activity. Go on line, do a search for lifting routines, find one you think you'd like and try it at a really light weight. Starting point is pretty much irrelevant, it's progress that you're looking for. Find a routine, try a routine, continue a routine, improve with the routine. If you find that your first choice was not to your liking, try another. In short, don't just sit there, do something. Start easy!
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Did you get physical therapy?
  • meeper123
    Options
    Ya I did for about a month. Ok I'll start very light ty :)
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    Assuming your doctor agrees you are physically able to begin working out, I would start with body weight exercises. YouTube has tons of at-home workouts you can do without any weights at all. When you begin to build confidence and strength gradually add weight to your workouts. Yoga could help you with flexibility, balance and strength as well.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Yes, be very careful. I had a shoulder injury and carried on which turned into a frozen shoulder. Now I need a total shoulder replacement. Any PT I got years later was too late.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You were cleared to resume normal activity. Were you cleared to begin a new lifting program? If not, you might want to double check. If possible, get another PTsession to find out what lifts should be done to accommodate your shoulder.
  • meeper123
    Options
    I think to be doubly sure I will go back to the doctor
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    My PT gave me a work out program when my therapy ended. It still took me over a year to get full strength back with weight training and 6 months of therapy. But I tore my rotator cuff so it was a different injury.
  • meeper123
    Options
    Mine was pretty typical dislocation and seemed to heal fast with a full range of motion back