Wedding Weight Loss Support

Hi everyone! I am working on losing weight for my wedding next summer and I wanted to create a place for those of us with that goal (whether you're part of a wedding party or just want to look good at your cousin's/sibling's/friend's wedding) to find each other and support each other. Feel free to add me as a friend and discuss your methods/motivations!

For me, my fiance (weird to say still!!) and I have already been working on developing a healthier lifestyle that will serve us well for many years to come. We generally have adopted a Mediterranean(ish) diet, heavy on the veggies and lean proteins (we eat a lot of fish, chicken, green beans, broccoli, asparagus, and various other fruits and veggies as they come into season). We've also started exercising more regularly and do our best to support/push each other when the other is feeling unmotivated. We're not there yet, but we both feel a lot better than we did this time last year!

My big motivation and goal is that I really want to be at my goal weight a month or two in advance of the actual wedding so that my dress can be altered if needed. What's yours?

Replies

• FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Oh I read that wrong, I thought you meant losing weight after the wedding lol . I gained like 30 pounds marrying my love haha! Anyways that's a wonderful way to start off your marriage! Wish we had thought about that instead 😂
  • agduffy4
    agduffy4 Posts: 30 Member
    Late to the game, but figured I would offer my support! I am getting married the first week of January and would like to lose 10-15 more lbs before then. I just got engaged at the end of June so I feel like it is coming up quick!

I was already starting a weight loss journey before my engagement. Since April I have lost ~15 lb, but have another 10-15 lbs to go before my goal weight. My initial short-term goal was 160 lbs by the end of the year and my ultimate goal being somewhere between 145-150 lbs. I didn't put a deadline to this goal because I wanted to make the lifestyle change, achieve results slowly, and keep the weight off for good. However, now that I have already gotten down to 163 lbs, 150 lbs by the end of the year seems more achievable so I really want to push for that!...and a wedding day makes for good motivation :).

I already ordered my dress and my first alteration appointment will be sometime in November, so 155 lbs by November would be ideal! I think an extra 5 lbs shouldn't drastically change my measurements to where my dress wouldn't fit come January, but I will have a second alteration appointment the week of my wedding for last minute fixes.

My friend and I are just finishing a 21-day challenge video series on YouTube...if you want to do a fitness video series together let me know! I think I already picked out our next 30 day challenge we are going to do and you could join! We live in different states so we just text each other to stay accountable, so you wouldn't be missing out if we are just keeping each other accountable via the internet ;)
  • Miss_Snow_White
    Miss_Snow_White Posts: 64 Member
    I'm getting married next fall and for to health issues and medications I put on about 40 lb last year. And I would love nothing more than to take it plus a little more off before my wedding next October. The thought of even shopping for a wedding dress makes me want to cry. I could use all the help I can get send me all your friend requests!!!
  • cblack8
    cblack8 Posts: 42 Member
    I've used MFP on and off for years but hopped back on to be in the best shape possible for my wedding next month. I love this site, between staying between 1200 and 1500 calories and Jillian Michael's 30 day shred I'm really happy with how I look!
  • celestevdwalt4973
    celestevdwalt4973 Posts: 1 Member
    I am getting married in two weeks!! I dont fit into my dress. I have started eating healthy but I havent lost anything yet. Wishing I could look very good for the wedding. I dont really do diets and things and I exercise 3 times a week. But will try this healthy eating and see.. my next fitting is on friday..
  • nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    agduffy4 wrote: »
    Late to the game, but figured I would offer my support! I am getting married the first week of January and would like to lose 10-15 more lbs before then. I just got engaged at the end of June so I feel like it is coming up quick!

I was already starting a weight loss journey before my engagement. Since April I have lost ~15 lb, but have another 10-15 lbs to go before my goal weight. My initial short-term goal was 160 lbs by the end of the year and my ultimate goal being somewhere between 145-150 lbs. I didn't put a deadline to this goal because I wanted to make the lifestyle change, achieve results slowly, and keep the weight off for good. However, now that I have already gotten down to 163 lbs, 150 lbs by the end of the year seems more achievable so I really want to push for that!...and a wedding day makes for good motivation :).

I already ordered my dress and my first alteration appointment will be sometime in November, so 155 lbs by November would be ideal! I think an extra 5 lbs shouldn't drastically change my measurements to where my dress wouldn't fit come January, but I will have a second alteration appointment the week of my wedding for last minute fixes.

My friend and I are just finishing a 21-day challenge video series on YouTube...if you want to do a fitness video series together let me know! I think I already picked out our next 30 day challenge we are going to do and you could join! We live in different states so we just text each other to stay accountable, so you wouldn't be missing out if we are just keeping each other accountable via the internet ;)

Thank you!! Yes, same. I was already slowly working on lifestyle changes and such before, so this is more extra motivation to get my butt in gear than anything. That's so exciting! I think that 5 lbs shouldn't make too much of a difference (except for your confidence), so that sounds like a great plan. Good luck!!

I occasionally do YouTube videos of yoga workouts, I just have a hard time sticking to an every-day exercise plan (I work 11 hour days twice a week so doing anything except not binge eating at the end of the day and remembering to shower can be a challenge). But I'd be up to try anyway!
  • nightangelstars
    I'm getting married next fall and for to health issues and medications I put on about 40 lb last year. And I would love nothing more than to take it plus a little more off before my wedding next October. The thought of even shopping for a wedding dress makes me want to cry. I could use all the help I can get send me all your friend requests!!!

Oh no! You have time still, just do the best you can and I'm sure it'll still be a wonderful day regardless! Happy to support in any way I can. Friend request sent!
  • nightangelstars
    I am getting married in two weeks!! I dont fit into my dress. I have started eating healthy but I havent lost anything yet. Wishing I could look very good for the wedding. I dont really do diets and things and I exercise 3 times a week. But will try this healthy eating and see.. my next fitting is on friday..

This is a little late but ... good luck!! I'm sure you'll be beautiful and will have a great day anyway.
  • jorichards2
    jorichards2 Posts: 100 Member
    Hi and good luck,

It’s amazing how the focus of a wedding can spur you on. I’m getting married in 5 weeks and have lost 42lbs since January only 4 lbs to goal.

This is the longest I’ve stuck to a diet since I was a teenager now 42 and I’ve amazed myself at the choices I’ve made when I would have cracked and drunk wine or eaten chocolate.

You have plenty of time to reach goal, you will do this!

Good luck Jo
  • nightangelstars
    Hi and good luck,

It’s amazing how the focus of a wedding can spur you on. I’m getting married in 5 weeks and have lost 42lbs since January only 4 lbs to goal.

This is the longest I’ve stuck to a diet since I was a teenager now 42 and I’ve amazed myself at the choices I’ve made when I would have cracked and drunk wine or eaten chocolate.

You have plenty of time to reach goal, you will do this!

Good luck Jo

That's incredible, good for you!! How awesome! And now you get to start married life in a healthy place and feeling great. Thanks for the inspiration!!
  • jorichards2
    jorichards2 Posts: 100 Member
    The only tip I would have is to plan when you are going to have a weekend or week of and change your goal to maintenance and keep logging so you don’t get out of the habit! And don’t weigh yourself for a few days after either so you don’t feel disheartened with a gain x
  • nightangelstars
    Thank you! I'm doing fine during the week, generally, it's weekends and family/friend get togethers where I'm struggling and putting weight back on, so that is timely advice!
  • mlt2908
    mlt2908 Posts: 123 Member
    I'm getting married in June 2019 and need to lose the weight I put back on in the last couple of years ...I guess it will be 10 to maybe 15 lbs...not a huge amount, and I already have my dress and it fits fine....but I just don't want a poochy belly sticking out..plus some of my pants are too tight now. I don't have a problem with working out...I do that pretty much daily...but I don't often watch my portion size and eat more than I should (and ate junk during the holidays!). I started AGAIN on Jan 2nd on this site so that I can try to be motivated to track calories...it helps to see what other people are doing and helps me stay motivated, especially when I see the success other members have had! We are also going on vacation to the Caribbean in just a couple of months and I want to try to lose 10 lbs by end of Feb.
  • oneillm45
    oneillm45 Posts: 44 Member
    Getting married April 2020, so I have just over 15 months to lose 30lb and work on toning my arms etc so I look the best I can in my dress. Feeling healthier should also improve my general mood and decrease irritability, which I'm sure my other half will appreciate :#