Just finished C25k & another NSV

Options
Kimbie500
Kimbie500 Posts: 388 Member
Good morning all!!

I just got back from C25k W9D3. That's right, I'm now a C25k graduate!!

My DH is training for his 3rd marathon and in the process has lost nearly 90 pounds. I found his transformation so inspiring that last summer I decided to try the C25k program myself. I was so out of shape I was unable to complete even W1D1, got frustrated and quit. I had made some other fitness and eating improvements but gradually they fell by the wayside and I gained back nearly all I had lost.

Around the first of the year, a friend pointed me towards a 30 day goal setting program and I re-prioritized my health. Among other things, I set initial goals to lose 50 pounds this year and complete a 5k race, running the whole thing. After I found MFP in late February, the weight loss goal morphed into a more general and long-term "Improve my health and fitness by eating a reasonable amount of real food and moving every day" goal but the 5k race goal has remained unchanged. Before the weather improved enough to be outside (January - March), I rode my exercise bike and lifted weights. Then I added walking outside at lunch at work and then in the evenings. Then on June 8th, I gave C25k W1D1 another shot and completed it without difficulty. I was elated! I really did not think I could do it! It has taken me 10.5 weeks instead of the 9 it's supposed to, but I've gone from struggling to walk a mile comfortably to completing C25k. The last week's three workouts are all walk 5 minutes, run 30 minutes, walk 5 minutes. I've been running back to my car from wherever the 5 min cool down walk ends. I think I've gone crazy!!

What's next? I registered for an actual race. With money and everything! It's September 10th. I actually believe I can do it! Very powerful feeling - my self doubts have always held me back more than my own abilities. Until then, I'm going to use the Bridge to 10K program to help improve my running duration and speed.

The other NSV? Well, I decided I needed some additional sports bras. I've got two I like and several I don't and, since I'm doing something physical every day, those two bras get a lot of wear and can get a little, well, funky. They are size 2XL, so I figured I'd go buy a couple of size XL's. In the store, I grabbed an XL, a 2XL (just in case), and a L (to see how far I am from that size) and went off to the dressing room. Ended up buying two plain old L's. That's right - I've taken the X out of my L! It was really a surprise for me to skip right over the XL. Tried on all 3 sizes twice just to be sure. Ran in one of the new L's this morning - didn't even notice it, which to me is the sign of a well fitting bra.

It's kind of funny. I'm down 45 pounds. I get compliments all the time about my weight loss. I've gone from a snug plus-size 20 to very loose regular women's 18's - I'm probably in 16's now but haven't taken the time to shop. I measured this morning and am down 5+ inches in my waist alone. The funny part? When I look in the mirror, I don't see it. Don't get me wrong, I'm still overweight and have a ways to go, but I don't really see what everyone else seems to. I've been overweight my entire life - literally. I was a fat kid when kids weren't fat. I guess my brain will eventually reset and see my body more accurately, but right now, I see the same hefty girl in the mirror. That sounds sad, but I feel stronger. I want to do physical things now instead of sitting in front of the TV and eating. I'm transforming into an entirely different person. It'll be interesting and exciting to see who I become.

OK, that's enough introspection for now. :happy: Everybody have a lovely Sunday!!

Replies

• mandeiko
    mandeiko Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    This is very inspiring to read!! Congrats on your progress!! I just started c25k, and I'm signing up for my first 5k in November :) Good luck at your 5k!!
  • crummywatertowr
    crummywatertowr Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Congrats! My wife and I are on week 5 right now. We plan on doing a 5 k as part of our training (meaning run/walk) with our first real 5k on Oct 1 in Disney world. We love training together. We too quit it before so I find your story very inspiring. Good luck!
  • jezzi4ever
    jezzi4ever Posts: 100
    Options
    Wow! This is absolutely fabulous. Congratulations on your great accomplishments! Best of luck in the 5k! Only a few weeks away. You're this proud now, imagine how you'll feel when you cross the finish line! Fantastic job, keep up the great work!!
  • Nolynoelia20
    Options
    This is very inspiring to read!! Congrats on your progress!! I just started c25k, and I'm signing up for my first 5k in November :) Good luck at your 5k!!

I too just started C25K.. I just finished Week one yesterday. I too had a NSV.. Yesterday at the last "run" for 60 secs, I went ahead & kept running. I ran for 6 mins w/o stopping. I couldnt believe it. I think last time I ran that much was YEARS ago lol. (Im not a runner nor do I like running). Im signing up for a 5k in Nov 5th or the 12th.. I havent decided yet. Maybe I'll do both lol. I cant wait to call myself a RUNNER ;)
    Congrats on your progress.
  • Kimbie500
    Kimbie500 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    bump - so it shows up on my topics again...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!